White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I have quit the fight against bunting. Math doesn't seem to matter to bunting crowd
As long as it matters to a manager, that would be fine by me.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-22-2017, 07:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I have quit the fight against bunting. Math doesn't seem to matter to bunting crowd
Math huh?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-22-2017, 07:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Jesus Christ. This post ****ing broke my heart. To have the opinions of certain posters more or less force a mod and long-time fan to believe his world view on how baseball works is wrong just reeks. It's like he never really changed his mind on his own. Rather, he was heavily influenced by people calling his mindset dated. I'm for this rebuild myself, but I would be feeling very empty and hollow if I were on the giving end of this exchange and the resulting consequence. But who is anyone to stand in the way of evolving thoughts in baseball? It's always either adapt or stay behind these days, isn't it?
I didn't tell him he should stop being a fan. I was just completely confused by the view he (and others here) have on rebuilding and how it made absolutely no sense. The White Sox were gonna be bad. No matter what. Would you rather be bad with no hope in sight or with light at the end of the tunnel in a few years? Again, I gotta ask, how many more years did they want them to waste and see them do what they've been doing only for it to end badly? When would it click for those people that maybe it's time for a change? That's what I wanted to know. Especially since, through all of it, they're STILL seeing a bad season. Those were bad seasons. For as much as they are complaining about how bad they are now it's not like they were THAT much better the previous 4 seasons and, overall, for much of the past 12 years.

It's not only a reality of baseball today that rebuilding is necessary. They've always happened. It's not some new, unique radical thing that the Sox are doing. Maybe because it's been so long since they've actually committed to doing it that it throws people off but it really shouldn't. Not as much to the point where they're getting upset about other people being happy about them doing well in the moves the team is making in rebuilding. That's ridiculous.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Just thinking what is going on in the minds of the guys still on the team. Granted these guys are professionals but human nature has to come into play. Are they going to hustle their rear ends off and maybe risk an injury for an organization that is more than likely trying to get rid of them. Do these guys even want to be on the team knowing they are going to be really bad for 2 more years. I guess the answer might be is to play my butt off so some other team wants me so I can get away from this disaster.
In the week of play since the Q trade was made, the White Sox haven't won and the Cubs have lost once.

Can't blame the players for thinking that the club has given up on them. Maybe that's why Anderson doesn't run the bases.

In that light, I am rethinking the sequence in which the Sox chose to trade off their players. Maybe the Sox had to trade the more emotional guys, Sale and Eaton, first in order to maximize their value. If the first guy to get traded was Q for example, Sale and Eaton might have, I said might have, seen the hand writing on the wall and no longer give 100%.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny bench View Post
Can't blame the players for thinking that the club has given up on them. Maybe that's why Anderson doesn't run the bases.

The contract he signed didnt help much. No real incentive at this point with a contract and no one breathing down his neck.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
In the week of play since the Q trade was made, the White Sox haven't won and the Cubs have lost once.

In that light, I am rethinking the sequence in which the Sox chose to trade off their players. Maybe the Sox had to trade the more emotional guys, Sale and Eaton, first in order to maximize their value. If the first guy to get traded was Q for example, Sale and Eaton might have, I said might have, seen the hand writing on the wall and no longer give 100%.
In terms of the "club giving up on them"- the club gave up on 2017 last winter when they announced they were rebuilding and moved Sale and Eaton- no handwriting on the wall required. The market/return is what determined the timing of the trades- nothing else.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
These are professional ballplayers. You don't have to be Nostradamus to see the direction the team was going.

As long as they're in a White Sox uniform and draw a check from JR no one has given up on them.

This is a time of great opportunity: t's time for these guys to seize it.

As for Anderson assertion that's pure conjecture.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
WSI Prelate

As always, the amateur psychologists are ridiculous.
Old Today, 01:39 AM
WSI Guru

They haven't give up; they are just historically bad. You couldn't win games at the Triple-A level with the current pitching staff.

There are 67 games left. They won't win more than 20.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old Today, 06:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Why would they willingly play part in potentially sabotaging their future contracts and change for the worse the views about them that other prospective teams that are interested have? Just....think for a second before you say things like this.
Old Today, 08:47 AM
WSI Prelate

It should be on Renteria to get the best of these players every day. It's a crappy situation he is in, but he promised to change the mentality of this franchise when he came in. He knew we were going to be horrid for years, and it is on him to have each player busting their ass like they are contending for something. They are, in reality. They are contending for the future.

We are most definitely going to be a joke for the next two or three years, but this is where you build a culture. Success isn't just what you do when you have the talent. Success has to be instilled in the crappier times. In the times when you know you are the joke of the league. Play for the badge. Play for your career. Play for your fans. Play smart. Play hard. Etc.

If we can't get these guys up to play professional sports, then we really won't succeed when the rest of these guys come up.

Sure, it's a simple point to make, but it's not about guys being loose in the clubhouse, or guys having great chemistry. This is about this ball club being part of an organization that respects itself by being professional throughout.

You are playing a game that thousands would kill to play for the rest of their lives. I wish I could. I know many of my friends wish they could, too. It's a career, sure, but there needs to be a level of self- respect when going in there. If guys like Abreu, Avisail, Melky, etc fall off the map as this season ends, then we are truly in a deeper hole then I expected. It's at that point that you know that the players could care less about their performance, self-respect, etc. It's at that point that they would rather be elsewhere.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.