Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2017, 12:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

We might get lucky with Davidson figuring out how to hit at the major league level but I doubt it.

I too, want to see Sanchez at third next year. He is a vastly superior ballplayer in all but one aspect of the game.

My hope is that Davidson will be the right-handed half of a DH platoon with Delmonico next year. He might provide his maximum value that way.

His sample size is small but he hit .250 against lefties and .209 against righties. His strikeout percentage was still waaaaaaaay too high against lefties (30% of plate appearances) but significantly better than against righties (40%). Seven of his nineteen walks came against lefties while only about 27% of his plate appearances did. BABIP against lefties .324 vs. .268 against righties.

I agree that he is highly unlikely to be here in two years.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
We might get lucky with Davidson figuring out how to hit at the major league level but I doubt it.

I too, want to see Sanchez at third next year. He is a vastly superior ballplayer in all but one aspect of the game.
Sanchez has to learn to run the bases better.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

My hope is that Davidson will be the right-handed half of a DH platoon with Delmonico next year. He might provide his maximum value that way.

His sample size is small but he hit .250 against lefties and .209 against righties. His strikeout percentage was still waaaaaaaay too high against lefties (30% of plate appearances) but significantly better than against righties (40%). Seven of his nineteen walks came against lefties while only about 27% of his plate appearances did. BABIP against lefties .324 vs. .268 against righties.

I agree that he is highly unlikely to be here in two years.
He offers some defensive ability at first and third too. He's an okay player to have on the bench for a rebuilding club.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-22-2017, 10:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Delmonico needs to be in LF every game. He showed progress there.
Agree on Sanchez - doubt he's long term solution at 3B, but give him infield work as he's the best option. Davidson should play some, and also spell Abreu at 1B and play a lot of DH
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Sanchez has to learn to run the bases better.
Sanchez is not particularly fast and will never be a big base stealer type we often expect of small infielders. But I think he has shown that he learns and improves so I expect that whatever base running blunders he has made in the past he will work on and solve in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He offers some defensive ability at first and third too. He's an okay player to have on the bench for a rebuilding club.
Davidson can play first and third but I'm not sure I would go so far as to describe it as "some defensive ability." He's not an embarrassment but he's not particularly good at either. That sort of flexibility is good in a bench player though I cringe at the idea of him being called on to pinch strike out in late innings. I also think Delmonico fills that role far better with more flexibility as he can play the outfield corners as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Delmonico needs to be in LF every game. He showed progress there.
Agree on Sanchez - doubt he's long term solution at 3B, but give him infield work as he's the best option. Davidson should play some, and also spell Abreu at 1B and play a lot of DH

Delmonico was surprisingly good in LF. If the Sox didn't have other OF options on the way I would agree with you completely. But I expect to see Jiminez in LF sometime next year and perhaps Cordell to start the year (or maybe Cordell in CF and L.Garcia in LF if Cordell is capable of it). My view is that if Delmonico is to find a long-term role with the team it is as DH and corner utility guy, late inning pinch hitter. A role for which I think he is far better suited than Davidson.

I doubt Yolmer is long-term at third either. Hopefully Burger supplants him in a couple years but I will gladly take him in the interim. He can play defense and gets clutch hits as well as bringing contagious enthusiasm to the game.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Delmonico was surprisingly good in LF. If the Sox didn't have other OF options on the way I would agree with you completely. But I expect to see Jiminez in LF sometime next year and perhaps Cordell to start the year (or maybe Cordell in CF and L.Garcia in LF if Cordell is capable of it). My view is that if Delmonico is to find a long-term role with the team it is as DH and corner utility guy, late inning pinch hitter. A role for which I think he is far better suited than Davidson.

I doubt Yolmer is long-term at third either. Hopefully Burger supplants him in a couple years but I will gladly take him in the interim. He can play defense and gets clutch hits as well as bringing contagious enthusiasm to the game.
One of them will play right - Avi needs to be traded at some point - just hope that he can repeat 2017.
I would start Leury in CF and have Engel spend a year in Charlotte learning how to hit.
I don't see anything about Cordell to suggest he supplants Delmonico. He played in arid ballparks and didn't generate any more power than Delmonico. His OBP isn't as good. Delmonico just started playing LF regularly and has made excellent progress in that time. And Delmonico has already hit well in the majors. Now if Cordell can play a good CF, it's a different story.
Hopefully a few of these guys can really mature. I just hate to see anyone cast as a DH this soon, and I don't think it's necessary.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Well stated. My take from your statistical comparison of Harper & Abreu was not in any way that Abreu was better than Harper, but How good Abreu has been despite having (for him) a power outage his second year and many thinking he wasn't the guy we saw in his rookie year.

The thing that those stats don't show is that Harper is a 5 tool player where Jose is a 3 tool player. Jose's 3 tools are really good and he has made a fielding upgrade to at least serviceable from liability at a non premium defensive position.
That was my take on Andrew C White's original post too. I also agree with your observations on Abreu's fielding. He was ripped on a regular basis here early in the season for his fielding gaffes but I believe he worked hard to improve in the second half. He's never going to be GG but he could be just good enough.The problem is to an increasing number of baseball fans WAR is the final word. I've tried here and elsewhere to have a debate but apparently no one is having any of it. To me it remains a highly subjective, arbitrary and ever changing way to evaluate a player. Love stats, hate saber. As for Harper yes he has a higher ceiling than Abreu and is obviously a special talent. He needs to stay healthy. Whether or not he ever achieves what many think he can, his price tag is going to be shall we say just a bit high.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:41 PM
WSI Regular

Deploy Eloy and Yomer to 3rd. I think Yomer - not only approaches the game as a professional, but provides both cement and spark to the roster.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
Deploy Eloy and Yomer to 3rd. I think Yomer - not only approaches the game as a professional, but provides both cement and spark to the roster.
Eloy Jimenez to play 3B? What?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
It’s Yolmer. And yes, I have heard that he brings bags of cement to the game. Really weird superstition, I believe.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-22-2017, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It’s Yolmer. And yes, I have heard that he brings bags of cement to the game. Really weird superstition, I believe.
Or, depending on how he carries them, a really good way to strengthen the forearms.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

Davidson can play first and third but I'm not sure I would go so far as to describe it as "some defensive ability." He's not an embarrassment but he's not particularly good at either. That sort of flexibility is good in a bench player though I cringe at the idea of him being called on to pinch strike out in late innings. I also think Delmonico fills that role far better with more flexibility as he can play the outfield corners as well.
You are correct. I should have said, he offers the ability to give guys a day off by covering first and third and not being a total defensive liability.