White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2020, 04:08 AM
WSI High Priest

King Felix gets a shot at the Braves rotation.
https://www.mlb.com/news/felix-herna...al-with-braves
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-21-2020, 06:37 AM
WSI Personality

I don't think he has anything left in the tank but good luck to him.

And apparently the Rockies are no longer trying to trade Arenado and Nolan is pissed off about it. He wants out of Colorado. I don't blame him.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Nobody in the Twins organization thinks he will be top-flight after Year Two, but guaranteeing four years is what put them over the top against the Braves.

He is at an age where (sometimes) the skill set falls off the cliff.
Yup, while this certainly doesn't help the Sox' chances of winning the division in 2020, it could end up being a "bad money" contract in a couple years that limits the Twins ability to add to their rotation, which is what they really need. That might end up shortening their window, right when the Sox are hitting their peak. Combine that with the Indians inevitable rebuild, and there doesn't seem to be much competition left in the division.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post

And apparently the Rockies are no longer trying to trade Arenado and Nolan is pissed off about it. He wants out of Colorado. I don't blame him.
Well thankfully for him he can opt out after 2021, which is also why nobody wants to trade for him.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

He got the awesome opt-out he wanted and I don’t blame the Rox for deciding that keeping him is their best option.

I don’t blame Bridich for liking his club. It’s a bunch of mid 20s guys with at least average bats growing up around Arenado and Story. Rodgers is a top 20ish prospect in baseball to make their IF even better. Marquez, Gray and Freeland are all better pitchers than they showed last year, with the latter two experiencing lower body injuries rather than arm ones.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go either way based on progressions and regressions. The division is strong with a bunch of money in LA and rebuilds clawing up at the same time, but they have a nice, young roster.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Well thankfully for him he can opt out after 2021, which is also why nobody wants to trade for him.
He also wants to compete right now, not in 2 years. It sounds like he was made to believe the Rockies would make moves to put them in a spot to compete. When he looks around at what the divisional foes are doing versus what his own team is doing, well it's night and day.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He also wants to compete right now, not in 2 years. It sounds like he was made to believe the Rockies would make moves to put them in a spot to compete. When he looks around at what the divisional foes are doing versus what his own team is doing, well it's night and day.
What, letting Ian Desmond play every day while holding down almost all their young talent isn't good enough for Arenado?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
What, letting Ian Desmond play every day while holding down almost all their young talent isn't good enough for Arenado?
They should just back up the truck. Trade Arenado, trade Story, trade Gray, dump salary.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Who exactly did he hold down? Desmond played CF and LF exclusively so it would be pretty hard to keep down all of their young talent. He was also one of their best hitters in the middle of the season as he rotated with Tapia and Dahl before he was pressed into more CF action with Dahl’s ankle injury. Hilliard took ABs from both Tapia and Desmond once he proved his salt in AAA and got the call up.

In reality, his 482 ABs were probably the right amount for him especially considering the injury factor and letting Hilliard get better in AAA while saving service time.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:24 PM
WSI Personality

Desmond is also very, very bad. The FO told Arenado they're trying to contend but they keep trotting out horrible players like Desmond while not making any real moves this offseason to improve. Ownership doesn't care because they still sell tickets.

Arenado wants out and wants to contend. Nobody around baseball blames him one bit.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Desmond is also very, very bad. The FO told Arenado they're trying to contend but they keep trotting out horrible players like Desmond while not making any real moves this offseason to improve. Ownership doesn't care because they still sell tickets.

Arenado wants out and wants to contend. Nobody around baseball blames him one bit.
Desmond had a 1.027 and .946 OPS in May and June respectively while playing regularly. He and Tapia were basically just placeholders for Hilliard.

He didn't say he wanted out, he said he felt disrespected in the context of his name being mentioned in trade talk.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Desmond had a 1.027 and .946 OPS in May and June respectively while playing regularly. He and Tapia were basically just placeholders for Hilliard.

He didn't say he wanted out, he said he felt disrespected in the context of his name being mentioned in trade talk.
He said it didn't have anything to do with the trade talk.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 AM
WSI High Priest

"The Braves announced they signed Ozuna to a one-year, $18 million contract on Tuesday night. This move comes exactly one week after it was announced Donaldson had agreed to a four-year deal with the Twins."

https://www.mlb.com/news/marcell-ozuna-deal-with-braves
Old 01-22-2020, 10:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
He said it didn't have anything to do with the trade talk.
You are correct. It seems like a lot of the hostility is about remarks from upstairs to the media (from all parties) when he said it felt like a rebuild.

The Rockies definitely need to add to their staff, but I like the way they built to take on the division which will be crazy young in the coming years. Hard to get the type of pitcher they need without moving someone really good and cost-controlled.

I just get why they said talks never really got that far. I wouldn't trade him either if the return was anything less than multiple guys who have odds at being very good. Teams don't give those types of players up in this landscape, so it's hard to find a match until someone gets desperate.

I'd rather just have a face to face with the player and get him to understand why I sat on my hands - hoping I never have to trade a guy like him.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Yup, while this certainly doesn't help the Sox' chances of winning the division in 2020, it could end up being a "bad money" contract in a couple years that limits the Twins ability to add to their rotation, which is what they really need. That might end up shortening their window, right when the Sox are hitting their peak. Combine that with the Indians inevitable rebuild, and there doesn't seem to be much competition left in the division.
In two years you can't discount the Tigers and Royals either. Tigers have an awful lot of good pitching prospects. I think they'll be where the Sox are in two years...ready to turn the tide.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012