White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:17 AM
Rocky Soprano Rocky Soprano is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 9,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Yes, just you. If my Xfinity bill is going to go up because of that channel then I will finally cut the cord. I am not giving that organization a dime of my money.
I'm with you on both points.
I do think its a good idea to let Xfinity know there's more than a few of us that will not accept a higher rate to pay for their stupid network.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-21-2020, 12:25 PM
I_Liked_Manuel I_Liked_Manuel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: downers ****ing grove
Posts: 1,631
Default

I don't see this being the success that Tommy boy does, the Cubs aren't the Yankees and its multistate fanbase has other options to watch if it doesn't get the channel. It might be profitable in the short term, but the long term cost of alienating the cord cutting generation will be very difficult to justify
__________________
Teacher Says, Every Time Brian Anderson Gets A Hit, An Angel Gets Its Wings.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Yes, just you. If my Xfinity bill is going to go up because of that channel then I will finally cut the cord. I am not giving that organization a dime of my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
I'm with you on both points.
I do think its a good idea to let Xfinity know there's more than a few of us that will not accept a higher rate to pay for their stupid network.
Is there a good way to contact Xfinity about this? My concern is that the only feedback they'll get is from Cubs fans demanding access to this channel and won't hear from the silent majority who don't want an additional surcharge slapped on their bill.

It's not simply about the number of Cubs fans vs. Sox fans in Chicago. I'd imagine there are lots of customers out there who don't want to pay extra because they don't follow baseball and can live without access to Marquee.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-21-2020, 06:26 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,523
Default

Marquee won't be forced on anyone. i have seen billboards for it selling the product. If you want it, pay for it. This isn't the Shopping Network or some other useless channel that does not have an extra fee attached to it and only it.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-21-2020, 07:05 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 3,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Marquee won't be forced on anyone. i have seen billboards for it selling the product. If you want it, pay for it. This isn't the Shopping Network or some other useless channel that does not have an extra fee attached to it and only it.
That's very likely not true. If Comcast comes to a deal with them, or if you're a user of a service that already has a deal with them, it'll be on the same tier as NBC Sports Chicago, and that price will probably be going up to pay for it.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:08 PM
I_Liked_Manuel I_Liked_Manuel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: downers ****ing grove
Posts: 1,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
That's very likely not true. If Comcast comes to a deal with them, or if you're a user of a service that already has a deal with them, it'll be on the same tier as NBC Sports Chicago, and that price will probably be going up to pay for it.
I saw a list of the 25 providers with a deal for the network and I saw a whole lot of Iowa, the Quad Cities, Indiana, and Quincy on there. It didn't seem to me like there was a whole lot of demand from anybody in and near Chicagoland out of those 25

With the pressure cable companies are under to compete with the streaming services on price point, I'm not convinced this channel will be on the basic tier
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:29 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 3,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
I saw a list of the 25 providers with a deal for the network and I saw a whole lot of Iowa, the Quad Cities, Indiana, and Quincy on there. It didn't seem to me like there was a whole lot of demand from anybody in and near Chicagoland out of those 25

With the pressure cable companies are under to compete with the streaming services on price point, I'm not convinced this channel will be on the basic tier
It might be on a sports tier. But if so, it'll be on the sports tier along with other channels, so one might be forced to get it if they want other sports channels. And they'd presumably have to pay more for the package including a channel they don't want.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-22-2020, 10:15 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Marquee won't be forced on anyone. i have seen billboards for it selling the product. If you want it, pay for it. This isn't the Shopping Network or some other useless channel that does not have an extra fee attached to it and only it.
Until there is an ala carte option for cable, you will be paying for it if your cable provider decides to carry it whether or not you want to use the product.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-22-2020, 11:31 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 8,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Until there is an ala carte option for cable, you will be paying for it if your cable provider decides to carry it whether or not you want to use the product.
Just my take, but the odds of Comcast signing on to Marquee soon are close to 100%. There goes my lunch money.
__________________
Perfect is the enemy of good.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-22-2020, 11:42 AM
esbrechtel esbrechtel is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Just my take, but the odds of Comcast signing on to Marquee soon are close to 100%. There goes my lunch money.
I don't know... NBC sports has ties to comcast and they are having trouble getting on Dish, Sling, etc.

They want to keep their price down too and may want to see if the threats of leaving the service are real and if cub fans as a group are large enough to hurt their bottom line.

The dodgers still dont have a deal and its been 7 YEARS!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-22-2020, 12:37 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrechtel View Post
I don't know... NBC sports has ties to comcast and they are having trouble getting on Dish, Sling, etc.

They want to keep their price down too and may want to see if the threats of leaving the service are real and if cub fans as a group are large enough to hurt their bottom line.

The dodgers still dont have a deal and its been 7 YEARS!
That's kind of how I see it too. The question is: Are there more Cubs fans or potential cord cutters who want to keep their cable prices low among Comcast's customers?

I also think the Cubs poor off-season and the possibility of their contending window closing soon is another reason a cable company like Comcast might be loathe to add the network and pass along that cost to its customers.

There is also the fact that NBC Sports Network, which is owned by Comcast, would theoretically be competing with Marquee for ad dollars, so that's another incentive to keep Comcast from carrying the network.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-22-2020, 02:21 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That's kind of how I see it too. The question is: Are there more Cubs fans or potential cord cutters who want to keep their cable prices low among Comcast's customers?

I also think the Cubs poor off-season and the possibility of their contending window closing soon is another reason a cable company like Comcast might be loathe to add the network and pass along that cost to its customers.

There is also the fact that NBC Sports Network, which is owned by Comcast, would theoretically be competing with Marquee for ad dollars, so that's another incentive to keep Comcast from carrying the network.

Good points. I'd imagine there are way more Comcast customers who would rather not pay ~$5/month for Marquee than not. But, how many customers would be mad enough to dump their service if Marquee is added to their bill vs. customers who would cancel if they don't get access to the Cubs channel?

I also wouldn't assume that all Cubs fans would cancel Comcast if they don't carry Marquee. Some fans might like the team well enough, but don't watch televised games enough to demand access to the channel - especially with the team apparently in decline. Other Cubs fans might be philosophically opposed to Sinclair and aren't exactly going to be yelling and screaming to Comcast demanding to pay money to that company.

However, that's not the only consideration. Companies like Sinclair can leverage access to their other networks in order to get concessions from carriers like Comcast. That being said, Sinclair doesn't operate stations in Chicagoland, so I don't know how much that'll come into play here.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Good points. I'd imagine there are way more Comcast customers who would rather not pay ~$5/month for Marquee than not. But, how many customers would be mad enough to dump their service if Marquee is added to their bill vs. customers who would cancel if they don't get access to the Cubs channel
This is exactly the situation which occurred in the Buffalo/WNY area. Adelphia Cable refused to carry the YES Network without it being a separate pay for channel. So many Yankee fans threatened cancellation of services and Adelphia caved to the YES Network rules.
__________________
She's the foundation I lean on, My woman, my WIFE.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-24-2020, 04:46 PM
cub killer cub killer is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,711
Default

I believe MLB holds rights to all games for all teams, so rebroadcast rights must be obtained from them.

The Mar website says they will air other local sports, so they seemingly don't plan to be 24 7 cubs content. I'm sure if they did, they'd have named it the Cubs Network.

With only a month away, they haven't signed any local sports, so they're kinda lookin stupid in that regard thus far. With all other major teams locked up with other networks, it looks like we'll get to see the Wolves take on the Solar Bears again when the cubs aren't playing. For those of us who will get this network, which should be none of us.

I used to watch the flubs to root against them, but that ended like in 2007. Ever since D-Day (helped by rain delay day, whatever you wanna call it), I have avoided anything cubs, and have not seen even a minute of their games.

So hopefully this brand new 2-bit network fails. From what I've seen so far, it does look like amateur hour. Very WCIUish. I expect their promos to have cheesy 80s music while trying to get us pumped for the IHSA volleyball championships when the flubs aren't playing.

One minute of banter between Stone Pony and The Kid is more entertaining than anything that will be on this network, IMO.
__________________
MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-24-2020, 05:24 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 3,402
Default

So here's the thing - Cubs games ARE going to air somewhere. If their new network somehow fails, the obvious place is back on NBC Sports Chicago, and then we're back to not having the station to ourselves all summer. So I'm not sure rooting for their Network to fail really makes a lot of sense for us.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.