Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 10:25 PM
WSI Personality

Default White Sox coaching staff

One out, bases loaded and a shot to deep left center. Runner scores from third to make it a one run deficit, right? NOPE. Abreu doesn't tag up and no runs score. Once again this coaching staff shows its problems. Please don't get me started with Boston and Cooper.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Abreu can read the play so he should have tagged.

I cannot argue with you about most of the coaches.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 09-05-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Once again, we see a complete lack of fundamentals from the players.

Great catch, though.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Judging by Abreu's reaction after the play and after the game ended, to the extent assigning blame is necessary, it's all on Jose. I doubt Nick Capra was telling Abreu to go or go half-way when the ball was in the air.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 09-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Abreu can read the play so he should have tagged.

I cannot argue with you about most of the coaches.
With two outs after the stunning catch it doesn't really matter as much. They need a single to score runs after that point anyway and any hit scores him easily.

Neither Moncada or McCann would have been tagging as they both would have been trying to position themselves to score when the ball gets down, but once the ball got caught they both retreated and it would take a base hit or walk to score anymore runs at that point which, again, scores Abrue too.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Abreu should know to tag either way but I was wondering if the third base coach was yelling "Tag tag tag." I read on SoxMachine that earlier in the game when Leury got hung up between third and home on a contact play, it was clear that Boston was telling Abreu to go to second from first but to no avail, so it could very well be the coaches are doing their jobs but the players either can't hear or don't listen.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
With two outs after the stunning catch it doesn't really matter as much. They need a single to score runs after that point anyway and any hit scores him easily.

Neither Moncada or McCann would have been tagging as they both would have been trying to position themselves to score when the ball gets down, but once the ball got caught they both retreated and it would take a base hit or walk to score anymore runs at that point which, again, scores Abrue too.
The runners on second and first are almost always half-way on a ball in the air (unless it's clear the ball will be caught, I can remember seeing Brian Anderson tagging up at first on a ball hit to deep right) but I feel like I usually see the runner on third tag-up anytime the ball is in the air because if it falls for a hit they just have to jog home. Not sure what Abreu was doing there but again it doesn't really matter that much.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

Come on. Abreu has to score from 3rd. Then its a 1 run game with 1st and 2nd and 2 outs. A passed ball then makes it 2nd and 3rd (and abreu doesnt come home from 3rd on a passed ball probably). No excuse for this. Hang it on abreu period.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Come on. Abreu has to score from 3rd. Then its a 1 run game with 1st and 2nd and 2 outs. A passed ball then makes it 2nd and 3rd (and abreu doesnt come home from 3rd on a passed ball probably). No excuse for this. Hang it on abreu period.
I admit that he probably should have been tagging, but I argue that with two outs it still takes a sequence of plays that would have scored him anyway before the tying and/or winning run can score also. It's not a good thing that he didn't tag but in the grand scheme of things it's probably pretty minor.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:31 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

He messed up period. One takes advantage of every opportunity, mostly a veteran supposed team leader. .
Old 09-05-2019, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Like he hasn't biffed up on the bases before? But we're overdoing it for a meaningless run.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:06 PM
WSI High Priest

In other news, Ricky will miss the series this weekend against LAA. He's having rotator cuff surgery. McEwing will manage the team in Renteria's absence.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Like he hasn't biffed up on the bases before? But we're overdoing it for a meaningless run.
Sorry fundamentals matter.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Sorry fundamentals matter.
And even the best players make mistakes.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I admit that he probably should have been tagging, but I argue that with two outs it still takes a sequence of plays that would have scored him anyway before the tying and/or winning run can score also. It's not a good thing that he didn't tag but in the grand scheme of things it's probably pretty minor.
Abreu not only should have tagged and scored but Moncada should have been tagging at 2nd to move to 3rd if the ball is caught. If the ball goes over the OF's head Moncada still scores from 2nd and we're tied. If he moves to 3rd after the ball is caught he can score the tying run on a wild pitch or passed ball without the benefit of a base hit.