GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2019, 12:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
How did you guys ever survive the Valentin era?
Loved that mustache.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

There's no doubt in my mind that Anderson would be an outstanding outfielder . he could play deep, as he has the closing speed . i'm thinking a Torii Hunter type, but with a great arm . since Robert will be in center, and with his arm, he could play right field . throwing wouldn't be a problem, as outfielders have to set up and throw overhand to keep the ball from drifting . that being said i think that Anderson will be fine at short . i love the idea of having him work with Omar Vizquel, who i think should be on the major league club anyway, if not as coach, then as manager.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Just imagine the range you have in the OF with Anderson in LF and Robert in CF..... I mean... Nothing is ever going to fall, ever. Tim may be Eaton esque in DRS in the corner.

Love Anderson the player, but he either needs to stop making errors or find a new position, this has been going on too long.
If he fixes his throwing problems he has imagine the SS you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that Anderson would be an outstanding outfielder . he could play deep, as he has the closing speed .
Why play deep at all? I've you have closing speed take away the Texas League types of hits. All of this is nonsense because the game does everything it can to drive up HR totals.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-27-2019, 05:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Why play deep at all? I've you have closing speed take away the Texas League types of hits. All of this is nonsense because the game does everything it can to drive up HR totals.

I'm not saying that Anderson should be moved to the outfield, only that he would be great there . to take away the bloop hits, you would have to play more shallow as Andruw Jones did for the Braves . nothing fell in front of him, but some did go over his head . with the the quickness and speed of Anderson, i think that he could play deeper and still get to alot of duck snorts . i'm much more of a defense oriented fan, especially the outfield, and it's just fun to speculate.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:40 AM
WSI Prelate

If the Sox had a rising star at SS in the minors, I’d at least entertain the idea of selling high or a position switch.

However, I think the best plan would be, as others have said, to find a way to have Omar Vizquel work with him. If that means moving on from Renteria, so be it, but first I’d try to bring in Vizquel as a bench coach or 3B coach.

Anderson is a fantastic athlete but he hasn’t been playing baseball his whole life, so he’s relying on his freakish athleticism more than a lifetime of good habits. Good, sustained coaching ought to be able to help him improve in this area.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't know how his bat would profile in the outfield, but Anderson's value is as a SS.

I think the comp for him as a fielder is Marcus Semien, though TA has more range. Semien was terrible for years at SS but now is at least competent. Anderson is more athletic and has better skills than Semien, so he just needs to straighten out his game. The sooner the better. You can't be a serious playoff team without being strong up the middle (SS, 2B, P).
Old 08-27-2019, 07:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
Apparently, I don't value Anderson as highly as some others here. In his three previous seasons, Anderson's cumulative BA was .257, with an OBP well under .300. He also led MLB in errors in 2017.

That's why I'm suggesting he might be traded because this year's BA may be an aberration. Sell high. The White Sox need starting pitching to compete. The fact that he's cost controlled would be an additional selling point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Nobody's suggesting dumping him for 50 cents on the dollar. And he seems to have become the emotional leader of the team, so you probably have to think long and hard about a trade for equal value. But if you can put together a trade that makes the team better, you do it.
How does trading Anderson make the team better? If they aren't getting a MLB ready or proven MLB SS back in return then they are making the team weaker by trading Anderson. And this isn't the time to be making a dumb move like that.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
How does trading Anderson make the team better? If they aren't getting a MLB ready or proven MLB SS back in return then they are making the team weaker by trading Anderson. And this isn't the time to be making a dumb move like that.
I said “if”.

I didn’t advocate trading him or moving him to the outfield.

My point is merely that nobody is untouchable.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm happy with the season TA is having, but I think people are jumping the gun anointing him a success and not necessarily someone you look to deal. The truth is he still gets no walks, and his season has been aided by an insanely out of proportion BABIP (.388) that's almost 100 points higher than last year and nearly the same out of step for his career. If this was in conjunction with having more than 10 walks...I'd be more likely to buy it. But the truth is this is more than likely just a really lucky season. He'll have to not put up a .250/.290/.400 line for a couple of more years to prove this isn't an aberration, and honestly I'm leaning towards he probably won't.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:20 AM
WSI Prelate

I am sure the notion of a player who has a skill (or lack thereof) that needs improvement (1) practicing and/or (2) working with specific coaches is something professional sports organizations never consider. Lucky that we have such ingenious fans who post on message boards with these ideas.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm happy with the season TA is having, but I think people are jumping the gun anointing him a success and not necessarily someone you look to deal. The truth is he still gets no walks, and his season has been aided by an insanely out of proportion BABIP (.388) that's almost 100 points higher than last year and nearly the same out of step for his career. If this was in conjunction with having more than 10 walks...I'd be more likely to buy it. But the truth is this is more than likely just a really lucky season. He'll have to not put up a .250/.290/.400 line for a couple of more years to prove this isn't an aberration, and honestly I'm leaning towards he probably won't.
You'd have to find a great deal, find someone who can play SS now and is cost controlled, because the Sox don't have a better internal option on the horizon anytime soon.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Who says Tim Anderson's replacement needs to be internal? Theoretically the Sox could sign a middling free agent like Jordy Mercer or Freddy Galvis if they get an amazing offer for TA.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Who says Tim Anderson's replacement needs to be internal? Theoretically the Sox could sign a middling free agent like Jordy Mercer or Freddy Galvis if they get an amazing offer for TA.
Yeah, suppose they like the free agent shortstops better than the free agent starting pitchers or right fielders. Then they could sign a shortstop and trade TA for a young, cost-controlled starting pitcher or right fielder.

Again, I'm not advocating any specific move. I'm just saying that it is conceivable that they could improve the team more by trading TA than by keeping him.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
You'd have to find a great deal, find someone who can play SS now and is cost controlled, because the Sox don't have a better internal option on the horizon anytime soon.
Definitely, and SS is a hard position to fill. So are front end starters though. If someone is offering a high upside starter for Anderson, especially one cost controlled...you have to think about it. Because it's not a given that this production from Anderson is what we should expect.

We are pretty barren in the system at that position, unless the team thinks Leury can handle it full time.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Trading Timmy would be a huge mistake, IMHO. He lights a fire under this team, and it shows in their effort when he’s out. He’s also bridge between generations of fans who love his old school hustle and fiery new school style.