Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 06:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's ONE GAME...
...and if they screened a sideshow on the Jumbotron for just one game, that would hopefully cause controversy and negative feedback too. If no one who doesn't enjoy it gives negative feedback, they might assume everyone wants more of it, so it's important to voice an opinion.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:07 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't mind them having a guest color commentator 2-3 times per season. It's a long season and baseball has always embraced the quirky and weird. Football and hockey always seem too serious and basketball has a lot of fun at times. Why can't baseball do the same?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I thought I read it was Benetti’s idea. They worked together last year at the Maui Invitational.
By now, we should realize that Jason is quickly becoming a true gem and his national attention is rewarding his hard work. I like his idea, but personally I have never liked Walton. He could have been brilliant, but my bias will never let me listen to him. But, it was just one game. Personally, I would love to see Tom Pacoriek come back for a game once in a while too, but that is my loyalty talking too. I also would love to have a guest comedian once in a while who knows baseball (Ex. Billy Crystal type). Heck, pull in Chance the Rapper as a one game guest.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
By now, we should realize that Jason is quickly becoming a true gem and his national attention is rewarding his hard work. I like his idea, but personally I have never liked Walton. He could have been brilliant, but my bias will never let me listen to him. But, it was just one game. Personally, I would love to see Tom Pacoriek come back for a game once in a while too, but that is my loyalty talking too. I also would love to have a guest comedian once in a while who knows baseball (Ex. Billy Crystal type). Heck, pull in Chance the Rapper as a one game guest.
Forget that, put in a WSI'er.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

I enjoyed it but don't have any desire to hear Walton ever again during a Sox game. Late night Pac 12 basketball games are fine for his nonsense in the winter when I can't get to sleep but no more White Sox.

I am very impressed with Michael Schur tonight. Outisde the fact that I am a huge fan of his shows, he is extremely knowledgebale about baseball, seems very appreciative to be in the booth, is completely focused on the game, and is giving great tidbits throughout the game on his career and the shows he helped create, all the while not taking any focus off the game we are all watching.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:47 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Lighten up.
I'm so tired of being told to "lighten up." What you're really saying is that your opinion is the only valid one, and anybody who disagrees should just shut up, because they're wrong.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-18-2019, 01:10 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
Both my wife and I avoided the game. Neither of us cared for the last appearance of the guy a couple of weeks ago. Found him annoying.

Sorry to miss another GS from McCann, but those are the breaks. Just not a fan of Bill Walton.

Hopefully, nobody at Sox HQ will go "Hey, what a great idea! We should do that every couple of weeks!!"
So you completely skipped watching the Sox playing against the best player baseball has seen in years because a guy you found annoying a couple weeks ago was in the booth for the game?
Old 08-18-2019, 01:46 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I'm so tired of being told to "lighten up." What you're really saying is that your opinion is the only valid one, and anybody who disagrees should just shut up, because they're wrong.
Deadspin, SI and Awful Announcing are among the outlets that thought the broadcast was fantastic. It's not only me and the many others in this thread who think so.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

You are coming across as someone that feels the need to bitch and moan because other people are enjoying something you don't care for. The VAST majority of Sox, MLB, and non-sports fans reacted extraordinarily positively to the broadcast as it was going viral last night. A meaningless August game between a couple of crap teams was made utterly unique and memorable and people are loving it. If it's not your cup of tea, just move along and let people enjoy what transpired without all the hyperbolic denouncements.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
You are coming across as someone that feels the need to bitch and moan because other people are enjoying something you don't care for. The VAST majority of Sox, MLB, and non-sports fans reacted extraordinarily positively to the broadcast as it was going viral last night. A meaningless August game between a couple of crap teams was made utterly unique and memorable and people are loving it. If it's not your cup of tea, just move along and let people enjoy what transpired without all the hyperbolic denouncements.

I didn't read any hyperbolic denouncements from Nellie, which sort of makes responses to his post feel like hyperbolic denouncements. For my part, I don't think I missed anything, from what I've been able to glean from the comments, regardless of how much of the world enjoyed laughing at someone who doesn't know anything about baseball call a baseball game even if the teams aren't worth watching. Maybe it would be even better with an MST3K commentary.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You are coming across as someone that feels the need to bitch and moan because other people are enjoying something you don't care for.
Hyperbole at its best.

Quote:
The VAST majority of Sox, MLB, and non-sports fans reacted extraordinarily positively to the broadcast as it was going viral last night. A meaningless August game between a couple of crap teams was made utterly unique and memorable and people are loving it.
"Utterly unique and memorable"? You had me at "A meaningless August game between a couple of crap teams".

Quote:
If it's not your cup of tea, just move along and let people enjoy what transpired without all the hyperbolic denouncements.
"hyperbolic denouncements"? "not your cup of tea"?

Yeah right: our opinions matter; your opinions don't.

It just keeps getting better and better around here.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 08-18-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
This is a bull**** post. It's a thread about Bill Walton and people's opinions of his broadcast. People are entitled to not like and to post about it.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

We listened to decades of Hawk calling games while providing little to no insight into any of them, I hope we can all agree that one night of Bill Walton doing the same is fine
Old 08-19-2019, 10:16 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie_fox View Post
i'm so tired of being told to "lighten up." what you're really saying is that your opinion is the only valid one, and anybody who disagrees should just shut up, because they're wrong.
+1
Old 08-19-2019, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

I found all 3 broadcasts this weekend to be a nice change of pace. Walton was exactly what I expected Walton to be. I can understand why some people did not enjoy him, but personally I thought he was hilarious. Had many laugh out loud moments on Friday.