White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 07-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,037
Default

On Nick Madrigal: 'Of course he'll never be a "complete" player because he isn't a power hitter.'

As there will be many incomplete players in MLB because of some deficiency. (defense, throwing to the right base, taking proper routes on fly balls, base running, hitting for average, etc...)
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 07-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
On Nick Madrigal: 'Of course he'll never be a "complete" player because he isn't a power hitter.'

As there will be many incomplete players in MLB because of some deficiency. (defense, throwing to the right base, taking proper routes on fly balls, base running, hitting for average, etc...)
Agreed. I meant that to be in support of Madrigal because, as you say, few players are great in every single aspect of the game and not as a slight against his potential future role as a core member of this team.

Would I love to have a power hitting, high OBP, high base stealing, outstanding defensive player at every position? Of course....we all would. But, we're not going to get that at all 9 spots in the lineup.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:51 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 17,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
As there will be many incomplete players in MLB because of some deficiency. (defense, throwing to the right base, taking proper routes on fly balls, base running, hitting for average, etc...)
And some of them are in the HOF.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-13-2019, 03:50 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And some of them are in the HOF.
Yes and the first guy that comes to my mind? That would be Ralph Kiner. I believe he started broadcasting here in Chicago. (Loved him with the Mets.)
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:38 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And some of them are in the HOF.

I wouldn't call Nellie Fox incomplete, if that's what you're getting at.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:44 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 17,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I wouldn't call Nellie Fox incomplete, if that's what you're getting at.
No, I didn't even think someone might think I was referring to Nellie until after I posted. However, I'm sure some on here would disagree with you (and me) because Nellie didn't hit for power.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 07-14-2019, 11:14 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 27,449
Default

After Rondon's little mishap at the end of today's game, some people want Madrigal up now even though he hasn't reached Charlotte yet. I say we're not contending this year, so why rush him? People are so bent on seeing the future now. It didn't work with Gordon Beckham, and it definitely won't work with Madrigal.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 07-14-2019, 11:20 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
After Rondon's little mishap at the end of today's game, some people want Madrigal up now even though he hasn't reached Charlotte yet. I say we're not contending this year, so why rush him? People are so bent on seeing the future now. It didn't work with Gordon Beckham, and it definitely won't work with Madrigal.
Yeah, Rondón being awful can’t have any influence whatsoever on what does or doesn’t happen with Madrigal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 07-14-2019, 11:52 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,469
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, Rondón being awful can’t have any influence whatsoever on what does or doesn’t happen with Madrigal.
It's a simply ludicrous idea to suggest Madrigal should be rushed to the majors because a team not going anywhere this post season and missing it's AS caliber SS at present lost a game on a nasty error in a stadium that has been a house of horrors for them for a long time.

It's knee jerk ridiculousness.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 07-15-2019, 12:20 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's a simply ludicrous idea to suggest Madrigal should be rushed to the majors because a team not going anywhere this post season and missing it's AS caliber SS at present lost a game on a nasty error in a stadium that has been a house of horrors for them for a long time.

It's knee jerk ridiculousness.
A lot of fans feel like I did as a kid that the season is never lost until it actually is, big picture and business be damned.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 07-15-2019, 01:07 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's a simply ludicrous idea to suggest Madrigal should be rushed to the majors because a team not going anywhere this post season and missing it's AS caliber SS at present lost a game on a nasty error in a stadium that has been a house of horrors for them for a long time.

It's knee jerk ridiculousness.
The Astros rushed Jose Altuve in 2011, in part because they weren't going anywhere. He was the AL MVP before he ever played in Triple-A, and then it was rehabbing an injury. We're about a week away from the eighth anniversary of his debut at age 21, batting second for the Astros, who were 32 games under .500 and last in the NL West. They Jeff Keppinger and Bill Hall and even Angel Sanchez playing second before they called up Altuve, just 21, who had it .361 in 35 games at Corpus Christi in the Texas League.

Madrigal, age 22, was hitting .375 in his first 29 games at Birmingham in the Southern League.

I don't really have an opinion on whether Madrigal should be called up. I don't know if he would be better three years from now with more minor league games. I don't know if the White Sox would be "rushing" him if they called him up, as rushing is defined as bringing up someone before he is ready. Obviously the Astros didn't rush Altuve. Frank Thomas was called up without playing at Triple-A, and he wasn't rushed.

The idea that it would be ridiculous to promote a young Double-A phenom second baseman because your team isn't going anywhere and could use a better second baseman, however, has been shown to be ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 886
Default

When Madrigal gets promoted it will only be because he's ready to play in the majors. They aren't contending this year. I doubt they're contending next year unless they pay out the wazoo for Gerrit Cole (lol) and so many other things go right. They aren't going to panic and bring him up and potentially ruin his development in the process.

I still think he's ready now but I'm not the one making the decisions. Thank god.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
After Rondon's little mishap at the end of today's game, some people want Madrigal up now even though he hasn't reached Charlotte yet. I say we're not contending this year, so why rush him? People are so bent on seeing the future now. It didn't work with Gordon Beckham, and it definitely won't work with Madrigal.
Have people forgotten about Tim Anderson already? He's not dead and he should be back soon.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:17 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,469
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Looks like he might be settling into a groove in AA. After a June where his SLG was not significantly removed from his BA (.372/.462) he's upped his game in July.

His BA is basically the same at .367 but his OBP has climed from .430 to .446 and his SLG has jumped 70 points to .531 (not including tonight I don't think). He has another double tonight, his 6th this month to go with his only HR. His OPS is .977 in July with 6 BB in 49 AB and still only 2 K.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
It didn't work with Gordon Beckham, and it definitely won't work with Madrigal.
What happened to Gordon Beckham has no bearing on what happens to Nick Madrigal. Players progress at rates that are independent of those behind and ahead of them.

That said, I do not want to see Madrigal in the majors until after the Super Two cutoff in 2020...
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.