White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 09:44 PM
WSI Prelate

The major league club is likely to hit .500 tonight. Not sure they will finish the year .500, but they are getting solid production from their young core.

In 2020, the system may supply three more hitters for the starting lineup, and two more starting pitchers. While growing pains and adjustments should be expected, adding:

CF Robert succeeds Leury
2B Madrigal succeeds Yolmer
C/1B/DH Collins succeeds Castillo
SP Kopech succeeds Bañuelos
SP Cease succeeds Covey

Makes the team significantly more interesting. Put Burdi and Hamilton in the pen in place of the worst two relievers, and the best among Covey/Fulmer/Bañuelos becomes the long reliever.

If that’s the case, I think you have to give the Sox system major kudos for executing a strong rebuild.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Cycle for Steele Walker tonight
Nice! Same game:
Frost 2B BB R
Skoug 2B 2 BB R RBI
Parke 6 IP 4 H 1 BB 2 ER 3 K
Heuer (22 YO 2018 6th rd pick - Wichita St.) 3 IP 0 R 2 H 3 K Save - over all he's 2.82 ERA 1.1 WHIP .233 BAA 43 K in 38.1 IP over 20 appearances. He spent last year in rookie ball and jumped right to A+ to start this season.

Birmingham lost 3-2

Ribert, Madrigal and Basabe were all hitless but Madrigal had a BB
Sheets 0/2 2 BB 1 R
Rutherford 1/4
Gonzalez 2/4 RBI
Henzman 7.0 IP 7 H 0 BB 3 ER 6 K - only his third start at AA much better than the first two.
Luiz Martinez 2.0 IP 0 H 0 BB 0 R 2 K (37K in 31.1 IP first year at AA and he's 24 - his first year being used in relief)

Chrlotte lost 7-6

Collins 1/4 BB R
Cease 5 IP 7 H 3 BB 4 ER 1 K (wonder if they've got him working on something specific he's been getting hit harder recently)
Matt Foster got the blown save 2.0 IP 3 H 1 BB 2 R 3 K
Jimmy Cordero took the loss 1.0 IP 3 H 1 ER 1 K.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-14-2019, 09:50 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
The major league club is likely to hit .500 tonight. Not sure they will finish the year .500, but they are getting solid production from their young core.

In 2020, the system may supply three more hitters for the starting lineup, and two more starting pitchers. While growing pains and adjustments should be expected, adding:

CF Robert succeeds Leury
2B Madrigal succeeds Yolmer
C/1B/DH Collins succeeds Castillo
SP Kopech succeeds Bañuelos
SP Cease succeeds Covey

Makes the team significantly more interesting. Put Burdi and Hamilton in the pen in place of the worst two relievers, and the best among Covey/Fulmer/Bañuelos becomes the long reliever.

If that’s the case, I think you have to give the Sox system major kudos for executing a strong rebuild.
FA acquisition succeds Nova.
FA acquisition succeeds Colome, if he is traded.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Cycle for Steele Walker tonight
Excellent: I want to see this kid in the Of on the parent club in the future.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Excellent: I want to see this kid in the Of on the parent club in the future.
This is why I don't want the Sox chasing any free agent outfielders. Tilson and Cordell are good stopgaps, there are four good prospects in AA (including two centerfielders) and Walker is breathing down their necks.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I was trying to keep the focus on what out system was producing, but yes, those acquisitions would go a long way toward helping the team compete in 2020.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Random $0.02-

Looking forward to the new draft class replenishing Kanny- not much to see there.

Actual signs of life from Evan Skoug, McClure looks really good- if he stays healthy- he could move up pretty quickly. Probably the best night of Walker's career- he and Rutherford are my leading candidates to join Robert and Eloy in our future outfield.

Most of the Birmingham guys seem to be stabilizing and getting their legs underneath them- not burning it up- but at least not overmatched anymore.

Hansen listed as starter for Barons tonight.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Random $0.02-

Looking forward to the new draft class replenishing Kanny- not much to see there.

Actual signs of life from Evan Skoug, McClure looks really good- if he stays healthy- he could move up pretty quickly. Probably the best night of Walker's career- he and Rutherford are my leading candidates to join Robert and Eloy in our future outfield.

Most of the Birmingham guys seem to be stabilizing and getting their legs underneath them- not burning it up- but at least not overmatched anymore.

Skoug has been hot all year. Not sure what it means long term, but his OPS has been over .900 for most of the season. He had a lengthy period recently where he didn't play. I think he might have tweaked something, but just speculating.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Not a lot of signs with the AA and AAA pitching unfortunately.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Random $0.02-

I'm interested in seeing how McClure progresses. He missed all of last season because of a knee injury. I believe the injury happened while fielding a ball. That sucks, but at least it wasn't arm-related.

I agree about Rutherford and Walker. Adolfo probably has more upside than those two....if only the guy could stay healthy! What I like about our chances of finding another starting OF from our system after Robert and Eloy is that we have something like 5 guys who could plausibly make it as a good MLB player. Relying on any single one is probably not a good bet, but I'd be pretty disappointed if all 5 of them never made it as a decent starter in the majors.

Interesting that Hansen is starting tonight. He's looked good over his last 5 starts or so. Since he hasn't gone more than 2 innings in a game this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he's limited to 3 innings max tonight.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 06-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Herrera looks to be getting back to his old self in the MPH department, and the results are following. I think trade Colome and keep Herrera as the closer for next year. He won't fetch that much at the deadline because of his slow start I think, so he's worth more to the Sox than dealing him.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Herrera looks to be getting back to his old self in the MPH department, and the results are following. I think trade Colome and keep Herrera as the closer for next year. He won't fetch that much at the deadline because of his slow start I think, so he's worth more to the Sox than dealing him.
If the Sox are serious about competing next year, they need a better closer than Herrera.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
If the Sox are serious about competing next year, they need a better closer than Herrera.
And Colome has an arbitration year left...
Old 06-15-2019, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Skoug has been hot all year. Not sure what it means long term, but his OPS has been over .900 for most of the season. He had a lengthy period recently where he didn't play. I think he might have tweaked something, but just speculating.
Although there was hope that Skoug might have been a sleeper when he was drafted in 2017, he's not shown much of anything. He's over-matched at levels where he would be expected to produce.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-15-2019, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Although there was hope that Skoug might have been a sleeper when he was drafted in 2017, he's not shown much of anything. He's over-matched at levels where he would be expected to produce.
Yep- he needs to be in Birmingham sometime this year if he's going to have any shot.
Closed Thread