White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2019, 12:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Luke Heimlich

Former top college prospect just signed with a Triple A Mexican Team.

What would you feel about the Sox signing him. I have always REALLY struggled with this story. On one side, the crime is HEINOUS and truly dispicable, maybe beyond domestic violence but at the least at the same level.

On the other, there is smoke that there is more to this story than has been reported and he strongly denies it, more that this was all done to placate everyone.

He was also 15 when this happened, if it happened.

On talent, he would probably be the 3rd most talented arm in the farm behind Kopech and Cease, and would be a fast riser. He had first round talent.

Just curious if people would be receptive to giving him a 2nd chance, or not a chance. Wanted to talk about something other than the FO at the time.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The public relations effort alone would require a score 10 from all the judges at an Olympic gymnastics event.

He may be a great pitcher, but there is a lot of other talent out there that won't cause parents to say they will keep their kids away from Sox games.

I know people deserve a second chance and all that, but this has a half-life of 5,000 years. There's a reason no MLB team has picked him up.

Pass.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM
WSI Personality

The story is too much poison for anyone to take a chance. I'm on the deserves a second chance until prove otherwise. Put it this way, if this was 15 years ago, he's in ST right now, in today's society, well, he's in Mexico.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Not sure how the Sox can safely maneuver around Heimlich's past. *rim shot*

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 03-07-2019, 02:05 PM
WSI Personality

Nope. The Sox haven't exactly been masters of PR lately. This would be a major **** show and is not worth the upside.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM
WSI Prelate

All fair points. It just had me thinking. I know I struggled if I wanted him in the draft, his talent is hard to deny, he literally could be our 3rd starter in a rotation on talent this year, but man is that just a bad situation and you will likely never know the truth.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
All fair points. It just had me thinking. I know I struggled if I wanted him in the draft, his talent is hard to deny, he literally could be our 3rd starter in a rotation on talent this year, but man is that just a bad situation and you will likely never know the truth.

We won't, that's where second chances and benefit of the doubt should come into play, but not in these days of public trial. I hope someone gives him a shot
Old 03-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
We won't, that's where second chances and benefit of the doubt should come into play, but not in these days of public trial. I hope someone gives him a shot
He did plead guilty. I know he's claimed innocence since that time and stated that he did it to prevent the niece from getting picked apart on the stand, but he was only 15 too. If the parents actually thought he didn't do it, I can't see them protecting the niece over him.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-07-2019, 08:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He did plead guilty. I know he's claimed innocence since that time and stated that he did it to prevent the niece from getting picked apart on the stand, but he was only 15 too. If the parents actually thought he didn't do it, I can't see them protecting the niece over him.
His brothers (ex now I believe) wife sounded like a head case and was heavily involved. The entire situation should have never became public in the first place because of his minor status, except for someone digging and I believe a mistake by law enforcement with his reporting. Unfortunately, none of us know what really happened. It's a sad situation for everyone involved. I just hate seeing someone's life basically destroyed over information that should have never been public.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Former top college prospect just signed with a Triple A Mexican Team.

....or maybe not:
https://sports.yahoo.com/luke-heimli...020432582.html
Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 PM
WSI Prelate

I think the other thing I struggle with is.... and I am not even saying I want the kid.... But do you ever look at the way Kobe Bryant is revered... and the world forgot his rape case the minute he paid the girl off and bought his wife a gazillion dollar diamond? Or Ben Roethlisberger, how some super bowls make us all forget his rape case.... and this is as ADULTS.... this kid was 15. Now it was different, those were grown women and not little girls, But if I was a team, I may strongly consider something like a contingent spring training invite if he passed a polygraph or something.

And if he was guilty at 15, and has gotten help and rehabilitated his life, does he deserve a second chance? I don't honestly know.

I know I am probably towing what is allowed here and I am sorry for that. I watched this story a lot around draft time, but when I heard today about this, it just bothered me for some reason.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 PM
WSI Personality

All I'm going to say on the topic is that, as a high school teacher, I work with a lot of 15 year olds and a lot of 18 year olds. I don't think I'm pointing out anything particularly earth shattering when I say that the amount of maturing that happens between the ages of 15-18--especially with boys---is enormous. And I sure wouldn't want any of the dumb things I said or did as a 15 year old held against me today as a 30 year old.

Now obviously this is an extreme situation that, if true, goes waaaaay beyond the typical dumb stuff teenagers do and I'm not trying to justify it. But I do think he needs to be judged based on how he conducts himself today-- and not as a teenager-- when it comes to deciding on whether or not he deserves a chance at the next level.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:02 AM
WSI Personality

Anyone who wants to read up on this story from a point of view of a family friend, and not the American media, I suggest a Google search about his name and justice. I'll leave it at that, I know this is a difficult topic. I'll say one last time, I hope someone gives him a chance.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I think the other thing I struggle with is.... and I am not even saying I want the kid.... But do you ever look at the way Kobe Bryant is revered... and the world forgot his rape case the minute he paid the girl off and bought his wife a gazillion dollar diamond? Or Ben Roethlisberger, how some super bowls make us all forget his rape case.... and this is as ADULTS.... this kid was 15. Now it was different, those were grown women and not little girls, But if I was a team, I may strongly consider something like a contingent spring training invite if he passed a polygraph or something.

And if he was guilty at 15, and has gotten help and rehabilitated his life, does he deserve a second chance? I don't honestly know.

I know I am probably towing what is allowed here and I am sorry for that. I watched this story a lot around draft time, but when I heard today about this, it just bothered me for some reason.
I think the only possible way he ever plays in the MLB is if he somehow gets a second trial and is exonerated of all past charges. Oh and if it came out the child was coaxed into making those claims by an adult; otherwise, people might always wonder if he was still actually guilty.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:54 AM
WSI High Priest

If MLB won't give him a second chance, will (or should) anyone? Can he work as a pipefitter? As a dish washer? Selling cars? Landscaper? Can he ever find work if every employer took the position that MLB seems to have taken? Josh Hamilton got how many chances? Steve Howe? Addison Russell? I understand the actions to which he plead guilty are more heinous than what Hamilton and Howe were involved in. This a truly thought-provoking issue.