Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 11:41 AM
WSI Prelate

James Fegan takes a look at the Sox 40-man roster crunch:
https://theathletic.com/1197115/2019...roster-crunch/
Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox will have 17 million, before qualifying offers, on the table. There are no more excuses. This 40-man-roster has to be one ready to compete for a wild card or a division next year.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
The Sox will have 17 million, before qualifying offers, on the table. There are no more excuses. This 40-man-roster has to be one ready to compete for a wild card or a division next year.
Or what? Exactly what happens if it isnít?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Or what? Exactly what happens if it isn’t?
That's up to the fan. Ask yourself if you'll care if the Sox have another poor offseason where they are severely under the MLB average for payroll and Jerry gets to pocket money. I'm sure we'll still people defending the regime if they have an eighth losing season under Rick. We definitely shouldn't but people are strange creatures and the fanbase has such a loser's mentality that I am sure they will see 2020 as a perfectly acceptable year to have another unsuccessful season.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That's up to the fan. Ask yourself if you'll care if the Sox have another poor offseason where they are severely under the MLB average for payroll and Jerry gets to pocket money. I'm sure we'll still people defending the regime if they have an eighth losing season under Rick. We definitely shouldn't but people are strange creatures and the fanbase has such a loser's mentality that I am sure they will see 2020 as a perfectly acceptable year to have another unsuccessful season.
I would rather be bad in 2020 and be better off for it in 2021 and beyond than hang around in the 2020 race and sacrifice something else in the future for the privilege.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would rather be bad in 2020 and be better off for it in 2021 and beyond than hang around in the 2020 race and sacrifice something else in the future for the privilege.
Great! Success in 2021 is guaranteed by your theory? I'll keep tabs to hear if this argument will pop up for 2022.

Just one thing. Yoan and Giolito have three years left under contract after 2020. Your window, barring payment that will likely be very, very high in dollar value, is potentially beginning to close in 2021. Without a successful season in the fifth year of a rebuild.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Sounds good in theory. How would spending money this offseason hurt them in the future? And, how would waiting till next offseason to spend be a wiser play? The 2021 FA class is worse than 2020's.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Sounds good in theory. How would spending money this offseason hurt them in the future? And, how would waiting till next offseason to spend be a wiser play? The 2021 FA class is worse than 2020's.
I donít know. What I do know is they cited it as a reason not to go to $300 on Machado.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Great! Success in 2021 is guaranteed by your theory? I'll keep tabs to hear if this argument will pop up for 2022.

Just one thing. Yoan and Giolito have three years left under contract after 2020. Your window, barring payment that will likely be very, very high in dollar value, is potentially beginning to close in 2021. Without a successful season in the fifth year of a rebuild.
Sick of waiting? Sign MadBum, sign Puig, bring back Abreu, trade Cease or Kopech (Metsí choice) and other pieces for Thor, and trade Madrigal and other pieces for Whit Merrifield.

Eloy/Robert/Puig in the OF

Moncada/TA/Merrifield/Abreu in the IF

McCann behind the plate

Collins DH

Rotation of MadBum/Thor/Giolito/Lopez/Kopech or Cease

Bullpen of Fulmer/Ruiz/Cordero/Herrera/Fry/Rodon/Bummer/Colomť
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sick of waiting? Sign MadBum, sign Puig, bring back Abreu, trade Cease or Kopech (Metsí choice) and other pieces for Thor, and trade Madrigal and other pieces for Whit Merrifield.

McCann behind the plate

Collins DH

Oh. See, this I like, I want this but I am not sure if the Sox have the intestinal fortitude to do this,.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

A lot of us had no trouble being loyal fans during the 1970's.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Bumgarner would totally be the way we do thing when we should go after Cole with some of the money you havenít spent on this roster in some time.

We need a pitcher like Cole and he doesnít cost us anything but money. He in combination with the addition of a steady 4 type would change how I feel about this rotation, greatly. How through the roof is his next projected contract? Are we talking about the $300M threshold? He is the best pitcher Iíve seen make it to FA before 30 in a while.

Nova is a definite candidate to come back as a durable 5 who can get hot. I donít think he costs that much on the open market, but Iíve been wrong prognosticating values before.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
How would spending money this offseason hurt them in the future?
Money badly invested hurts you in the future.

Quote:
I donít know. What I do know is they cited it as a reason not to go to $300 on Machado.
Talk about open ended, badly invested money. Thank goodness they didn't get MM.

Quote:

McCann behind the plate

Collins DH

You know it's not that crystal clear. I'd love Merrifield at second base. MadBum? Thor? Great... At what cost?

Your projected outfield? It would be quite the adventure out there.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-12-2019, 09:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Money badly invested hurts you in the future.

Talk about open ended, badly invested money. Thank goodness they didn't get MM.

You know it's not that crystal clear. I'd love Merrifield at second base. MadBum? Thor? Great... At what cost?

Your projected outfield? It would be quite the adventure out there.
That's assuming it's badly invested...

Too soon to judge the MM contract, but currently I'm OK the Sox didn't pull the trigger.

Merrifield at age 31 for a 22 year old with similar profile? Pass. I'm down to trade Cease for Thor, only if they can extend him. Keep Kopech, he's a Strasburg/Thor himself if he comes back healthy and I'm willing to take that chance.

That would be fine defensively. But, Puig just doesn't make sense anymore, as he isn't that good offensively, especially for a multi-year deal. That one could look ugly immediately. The Sox should be trying to diversify their lineup at least a bit, have way too many players with his profile already and have for the last decade.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm not worried that they'll spend the money- but I've very worred they'll spend the money wisely-

My priorities for external help to complement the core-

Add one veteran rotation starter (#1/#2)- preferably a lefty
Add quality bat, RF- preferably a lefty
Add a quality DH bat
Add a quality bullpen arm

Ideally these come via the free agent market- so we can hold onto our trade bait/prospects.

Oh yeah- I would like a new manager with full autonomy to hire his own coaching staff- including his pitching coach (includes retaining anyone from the current staff if he wants0