GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That's crap. This team needs to be taking long looks at marginal prospects right now. It doesn't mean they will be on the team in two years, but for now it costs them nothing to look at Covey and Fulmer and Palka to name a few.
I'm not sure what else you can learn about any of those guys to be honest. Covey has pitched 244 innings, and while I think he's had flashes of being able to be effective in a certain role like an opener, I don't think the Sox care to use him in that role. I don't think them being up necessarily hurts anything this season but I also don't know what the team things they can learn about them.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That's crap. This team needs to be taking long looks at marginal prospects right now. It doesn't mean they will be on the team in two years, but for now it costs them nothing to look at Covey and Fulmer and Palka to name a few.
It’s absolutely not crap. They refuse to jettison absolute dead-enders after inexplicably falling in love with them. They end up not getting the big fish in free agency. They fully plan on having Renteria at the helm when this team turns the corner. They sit on their hands at the trade deadline.

Looks pretty familiar to me, and I share his concerns that no amount of talent can ever be enough to “idiot-proof” this rebuild.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
It’s absolutely not crap. They refuse to jettison absolute dead-enders after inexplicably falling in love with them. They end up not getting the big fish in free agency. They fully plan on having Renteria at the helm when this team turns the corner. They sit on their hands at the trade deadline.

Looks pretty familiar to me, and I share his concerns that no amount of talent can ever be enough to “idiot-proof” this rebuild.
These are separate issues. Not being able to sign anyone valuable enough to kickstart the rebuild is a serious issue, sure.

But starting marginal system guys in September of a lost season isn't really going to push us in any direction. Where this team is right now, it's a non-issue.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
These are separate issues. Not being able to sign anyone valuable enough to kickstart the rebuild is a serious issue, sure.

But starting marginal system guys in September of a lost season isn't really going to push us in any direction. Where this team is right now, it's a non-issue.
Sorry about that. I thought this was about bringing guys like Covey back next year. People have mentioned the 40-man in this thread, and I lost track of which thread I was in.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I disagree that it costs them nothing. Palka is on the field in the majors, Robert is not. What are we learning about Palka that we don't already know? At the same time, what is Robert learning sitting at home?

There is no need to take a longer, harder looks at those guys. We've seen enough. Meanwhile, the push to be competitive seems to have gotten pushed back another year.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
What are we learning about Palka that we don't already know?
Whether a batter can hit under .050 in 100 ABs?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

We’re debating when to walk away from Covey, Fulmer, Banuelos and others.

Ultimately, as blandman says, it matters very little that those guys are in Chicago now. They are already on the 40-man and September of a lost season is a fine time for looking at marginal prospects. But Covey in particular is a lost cause. He is not marginal, he is not a prospect. I could easily name 10 pitchers from Charlotte or Birmingham who I would have given a callup to before Covey, because even if Matt Foster [substitute name here] failed miserably then at least it would have been new information.

If Covey, Fulmer and similar are still around next spring, that’s a disaster.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Whether a batter can hit under .050 in 100 ABs?
I don't really wanna see him get 50 more ABs to find out...
Old 09-04-2019, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Meanwhile, the push to be competitive seems to have gotten pushed back another year.
To be completely fair to the White Sox, nobody in their organization argued we were going to be competitive this year or next. That sentiment has come exclusively from the fanbase, and isn't universal. I've maintained that 2021 is the year we break .500, and I see no reason to think it'll be sooner.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
To be completely fair to the White Sox, nobody in their organization argued we were going to be competitive this year or next. That sentiment has come exclusively from the fanbase, and isn't universal. I've maintained that 2021 is the year we break .500, and I see no reason to think it'll be sooner.
True, I can't argue with that. But at some point you have to start steering the boat instead of just letting the current take you where it takes you.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
We’re debating when to walk away from Covey, Fulmer, Banuelos and others.

Ultimately, as blandman says, it matters very little that those guys are in Chicago now. They are already on the 40-man and September of a lost season is a fine time for looking at marginal prospects. But Covey in particular is a lost cause. He is not marginal, he is not a prospect. I could easily name 10 pitchers from Charlotte or Birmingham who I would have given a callup to before Covey, because even if Matt Foster [substitute name here] failed miserably then at least it would have been new information.

If Covey, Fulmer and similar are still around next spring, that’s a disaster.
Correct. Again, I hate to use the unpopular "look at what other teams are doing" line of trying to actually contextualize things, but there is a *lot* of AAA fodder that teams have called up, with no intention of those guys helping to win anything now or later.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't really have an issue with Robert or Madrigal not being called up- as long as the CBA is set up the way it is- a few weeks in September and early April are not worth giving up a full year of control.

I don't understand not givng Mercedes a shot- he could be a diamond in the rough as a RH DH option who could also serve as a 3rd/emergency catcher when needed- an interesting complement to McCann/Collins for 2020- especially if you're DHing Collins- where having a 3rd catcher would be a good idea.

Palka is a complete waste of time, Mendick is a feel good story but irrelevant, and I guess Covey could still be the 12th/13th pitcher next year- but hopefully not.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
As I just posted, they've given him three years and he's proven to suck. He's no longer even a marginal prospect. Giving him a longer look is malpractice.
I meant September. Who is he taking starts from at present that deserves them more?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-04-2019, 02:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I meant September. Who is he taking starts from at present that deserves them more?
The answer to that is nobody. Which, unfortunately, is a much larger issue.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
The answer to that is nobody. Which, unfortunately, is a much larger issue.
Well there are three guys recovering from surgery, so that's why he's getting these starts