GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2019, 05:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
What in the world makes so many people think that Tim Anderson should be converted to an outfielder?

I'm not advocating this...but with his skills and athleticism and that arm...man, he could become a hell of a center fielder.

It's moot, because so will Luis Robert.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm not advocating this...but with his skills and athleticism and that arm...man, he could become a hell of a center fielder.

It's moot, because so will Luis Robert.
If he canít make accurate throws to 1B from SS, how is he going to make accurate throws to a cutoff man or to the plate from even farther away?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:30 PM
WSI Regular

It's highly unlikely Anderson will be moved anywhere. He will remain the shortstop with Madrigal penciled in at second and Robert probably in center field.

I agree that someone (Vizquel?) should work with Anderson on his footwork and other fundamentals. He is capable of making some unbelievable plays at shortstop. And yet sometimes he seems to get lazy when it comes to fielding. I'm sure if he worked on his defensive game hard enough during the off-season it would pay dividends next season.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
What in the world makes so many people think that Tim Anderson should be converted to an outfielder?

It could be that he makes so many errors at shortstop and there has traditionally been some crossover between the two up-the-middle positions short and center. Robin Yount came to the majors as a shortstop, stayed for awhile and stayed longer as a centerfielder, won MVPs at both positions in fact. Mickey Stanley was a pretty good centerfielder for the 1968 Tigers, had played the outfield his entire career. With about the week to go before the World Series (MLB's last season before divisional play), Tigers manager Mayo Smith told him he was going to play shortstop in the World Series, which the Tigers won in seven games. The crossover continues in the minors and among players who don't play every day. Leury Garcia, of course, plays short and center. Paul Blair, who played a very short center, won two AL gold gloves (eight in all) for every game he played at short for the Orioles.

The short answer to your question, though, is that fans would like to see their shortstop making fewer, less frequent errors.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
If he canít make accurate throws to 1B from SS, how is he going to make accurate throws to a cutoff man or to the plate from even farther away?
Not that I'm in favor of moving him, but OF never throw sidearm. Most of TA's throwing issues are from throwing sidearm while moving. Go back and look if you can.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not that I'm in favor of moving him, but OF never throw sidearm. Most of TA's throwing issues are from throwing sidearm while moving. Go back and look if you can.
The answer is simple: practice more, work on the fundamentals.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 PM
WSI Regular

I agree with an earlier poster who mentioned Anderson as trade bait. It's unlikely, though possible, that TA will ever hit in the .320's again. As in common stock, sell high. Anderson may never be a quality shortstop, but he can hit (at least this year) and he has some power and speed.

It's clear the White Sox will need someone other than Giolito to start next year if they want to finish .500+. Perhaps, they can package TA and a 2nd or 3rd tier prospect like Steele Walker for a quality starter.

I'm not sure about Madrigal at short, but I don't see another quality middle infield prospect in the system.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I agree with an earlier poster who mentioned Anderson as trade bait. It's unlikely, though possible, that TA will ever hit in the .320's again. As in common stock, sell high. Anderson may never be a quality shortstop, but he can hit (at least this year) and he has some power and speed.

It's clear the White Sox will need someone other than Giolito to start next year if they want to finish .500+. Perhaps, they can package TA and a 2nd or 3rd tier prospect like Steele Walker for a quality starter.

I'm not sure about Madrigal at short, but I don't see another quality middle infield prospect in the system.
Youíre creating one hole to patch another. That big-time arm has to come into the organization via cold. hard. cash.

It was always going to come down to willingness to spend. Well, that time has come.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 PM

You don't trade young cost controlled players who are showing signs of becoming All-Star quality players as you are just entering the window years for your championship run, period. That's a bad way to run a team. If TA is nothing more than a league average SS because of great range and lots of errors who posts a .850 OPS year after year the team will be okay.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
You don't trade young cost controlled players who are showing signs of becoming All-Star quality players as you are just entering the window years for your championship run, period.
Nobody's untouchable.

What if someone offered a young cost-controlled player you liked better?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Nobody's untouchable.

What if someone offered a young cost-controlled player you liked better?
Not untouchable, no, but it would take a heck of an offer to make me want to trade TA. His contract is outstanding given his current trajectory.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Just imagine the range you have in the OF with Anderson in LF and Robert in CF..... I mean... Nothing is ever going to fall, ever. Tim may be Eaton esque in DRS in the corner.

Love Anderson the player, but he either needs to stop making errors or find a new position, this has been going on too long.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 PM
WSI Regular

Apparently, I don't value Anderson as highly as some others here. In his three previous seasons, Anderson's cumulative BA was .257, with an OBP well under .300. He also led MLB in errors in 2017.

That's why I'm suggesting he might be traded because this year's BA may be an aberration. Sell high. The White Sox need starting pitching to compete. The fact that he's cost controlled would be an additional selling point.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:12 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Not untouchable, no, but it would take a heck of an offer to make me want to trade TA. His contract is outstanding given his current trajectory.
Nobody's suggesting dumping him for 50 cents on the dollar. And he seems to have become the emotional leader of the team, so you probably have to think long and hard about a trade for equal value. But if you can put together a trade that makes the team better, you do it.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:17 PM
WSI Personality

How did you guys ever survive the Valentin era?