White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,727
Blog Entries: 1
Default

No one is suggesting that all games should be played in domes, the South, and the West Coast in April.

We are suggesting that MLB should adjust the scheduling algorithms so that the balance is shifted slightly. For instance, the Sox are playing 31 games between March and April: 16 home and 15 away. Instead, make it 13 home and 18 away.

Itís a difference of one series. Make it a midweek series, so the issue for school kids to attend is neutral.

Then, balance it out in May. Right now they have 12 home games and 17 away games in May. Instead, swap just one midweek series so that they would play 15 home games and 14 away games in May.

If youíre just swapping one midweek series between April and May, itís not an undue burden to any dome/warm weather teamís revenue potential.

Obviously the 5 AL Central teams, plus Baltimore, are not big attendance draws, and they have to play each other throughout the season. Meanwhile, Boston and NY are big draws. (And Tampa and Toronto are not big draws but they have domes.) So not every AL West club can have Boston and New York for a weekend series every year; there are more small draw teams than big draw teams. But itís not going to kill the Jays, Rays, Astros, Rangers, Angels, Athletics, and Mariners to host one more midweek series in April with AL Central clubs or Baltimore, and have those reciprocated with visits to the AL Central cities later in the season when the weather is nicer.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,579
Default

There are competitive and financial reasons behind the schedule that many fans don't consider. I still have to wonder how the White Sox were convinced to give up what apparently would have been an August Friday night game against the Yankees to play in an Iowa cornfield.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 3,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
There are competitive and financial reasons behind the schedule that many fans don't consider. I still have to wonder how the White Sox were convinced to give up what apparently would have been an August Friday night game against the Yankees to play in an Iowa cornfield.
There have been an increasing number of these 'special' games, both overseas and at unusual places in the US (Little League World Series, College World Series, military base). I have to imagine there are some details out there for how that works, but I'm sure MLB compensations the teams giving up home games...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 AM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,918
Blog Entries: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
There are competitive and financial reasons behind the schedule that many fans don't consider. I still have to wonder how the White Sox were convinced to give up what apparently would have been an August Friday night game against the Yankees to play in an Iowa cornfield.
I'm pretty sure I read that the game was their idea, which they pitched to MLB.
I am quite certain they are, or will be, financially compensated by MLB. If not, what's the point?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:46 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,727
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I'm pretty sure I read that the game was their idea, which they pitched to MLB.
I am quite certain they are, or will be, financially compensated by MLB. If not, what's the point?
Agreed. Jerry Reinsdorf managed to get the state to build him a stadium at taxpayer expense where his lease rate decreases when attendance falls below a certain number. And payroll is always dictated by revenues, and we continue to play highly paid veterans even after it is apparent to everyone else that they are done, like Castillo and Jay. Do we really think heís losing money on the Iowa game?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:49 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Agreed. Jerry Reinsdorf managed to get the state to build him a stadium at taxpayer expense where his lease rate decreases when attendance falls below a certain number. And payroll is always dictated by revenues, and we continue to play highly paid veterans even after it is apparent to everyone else that they are done, like Castillo and Jay. Do we really think heís losing money on the Iowa game?
Neither Jerry nor any other owner would agree to the Iowa game if it lost them money.

Thatís not a Sox thing. Itís a business thing.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,495
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Neither Jerry nor any other owner would agree to the Iowa game if it lost them money.

Thatís not a Sox thing. Itís a business thing.
This isn't a typical business. The Business is MLB. The White Sox are a franchise that has to be a part of all business initiatives including marketing ones. If MLB wants the Sox to be part of this marketing initiative then they pretty much have to comply. But it's also great national exposure for the franchise so they may think of it in more long term ways.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Jollyroger2 Jollyroger2 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I write this as a former Brewers season-ticket holder who disliked baseball under the retractable roof at Miller Park and as someone who spent some unhappy years in Texas. My life wouldn't be any less happy if baseball had never expanded and/or moved to Texas or if I never watched indoor baseball.

I endured some miserable weather to watch the White Sox in Chicago over the last half century. I never missed not being inside.
Most of my point there was satire, but I'm not sure where you lived in Texas. Houston is one of the cities that absolutely needs a roof. I lived in Chicago many years also and even with the winter extremes, the weather there, is nothing compared to this place.

Unbearable heat, massive storms that can form in minutes and cause instant flooding. Not to mention the threat of tropical weather from June through the end of the year. I see the Rangers are building a roofed stadium too, it's just too hot. You can build them these days and make them nice, I actually like Minute Maid a lot more than I do Sox Park or Guaranteed Rate except for some food items. It's nice to not have to worry about rainouts and what not, and to be comfortable inside while it's a blast furnace outside. And if the weather is nice, open the roof. No more sitting being miserable. Best of both worlds.

Miller Park is kinda weird though, I didn't care for it much but I liked the atmosphere at old County Stadium. Maybe I didn't like Miller much cause the Cubs were in town and the place was full of morons.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
This isn't a typical business. The Business is MLB. The White Sox are a franchise that has to be a part of all business initiatives including marketing ones. If MLB wants the Sox to be part of this marketing initiative then they pretty much have to comply. But it's also great national exposure for the franchise so they may think of it in more long term ways.
Yes, I realized after I posted that I was way too general. All of this.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyroger2 View Post
And places like Minnesota should be building stadiums with retractable roofs. The technology is there. It was absolute nonsense to build that place without a roof.
It took many years to convince the Minnesota legislature to approve funding for the stadium (there was a lot of resistance to having the taxpayers pay for the new stadium. While the Twins are fairly popular in Minny, they are not God's Team, a/k/a the Vikings). A retractable dome was considered too expensive to get enough votes in the legislature and the Twins could have packed it up for another part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
There are competitive and financial reasons behind the schedule that many fans don't consider. I still have to wonder how the White Sox were convinced to give up what apparently would have been an August Friday night game against the Yankees to play in an Iowa cornfield.
8,000 paid attendance on an August Friday night is about average for the Sox.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-14-2019, 06:39 PM
SaltyPretzel SaltyPretzel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Loop
Posts: 2,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I write this as a former Brewers season-ticket holder who disliked baseball under the retractable roof at Miller Park and as someone who spent some unhappy years in Texas. My life wouldn't be any less happy if baseball had never expanded and/or moved to Texas or if I never watched indoor baseball.

I endured some miserable weather to watch the White Sox in Chicago over the last half century. I never missed not being inside.
I've been to all the retractable roofed stadiums in baseball besides Arizona and the only one I really liked was Seattle, probably because it's the only one that's not totally enclosed with the roof in place. The other ones seem closed in even with the roof open.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 10,200
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Am I the only one that thinks MLB might be up to something with this early start to the schedule? The season ends on 9/27. I can't help but wonder if this is a precursor to announcing some sort of playoff expansion or longer wild card round.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 PM
chisoxfanatic's Avatar
chisoxfanatic chisoxfanatic is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 27,216
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
There are competitive and financial reasons behind the schedule that many fans don't consider. I still have to wonder how the White Sox were convinced to give up what apparently would have been an August Friday night game against the Yankees to play in an Iowa cornfield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
There have been an increasing number of these 'special' games, both overseas and at unusual places in the US (Little League World Series, College World Series, military base). I have to imagine there are some details out there for how that works, but I'm sure MLB compensations the teams giving up home games...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I'm pretty sure I read that the game was their idea, which they pitched to MLB.
I am quite certain they are, or will be, financially compensated by MLB. If not, what's the point?
Yep. They are getting some nice change from MLB. I am hoping they can put some of that money towards their roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Am I the only one that thinks MLB might be up to something with this early start to the schedule? The season ends on 9/27. I can't help but wonder if this is a precursor to announcing some sort of playoff expansion or longer wild card round.
Or, perhaps they are wanting the season to not stretch into November?
__________________
19-20 Blackhawks Attendance Record: 2-1-0 (Next: 10/24 vs. Philadelphia)

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 13 NHL cities (Next: Carolina 10/26)
Attended Mass at 8 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: St. Louis 12/15)

I really love Salt Lake City
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.