GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2019, 01:05 PM
WSI Guru

Default 2020 schedule released

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-schedule-released
The Sox will go to San Diego for the first time since 2005.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-schedule-released
The Sox will go to San Diego for the first time since 2005.
Yikes, imagine the negativity on WSI that week.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-12-2019, 02:04 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post

It would be nice if the programmer geniuses behind the advanced combinatorial optimization software could understand that
  • it's cold in Chicago in March
  • Texas should host northern teams in April, not travel to them
  • northern teams shouldn't have home and home series a week apart in April
Bring back the Stephensons!

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L

Next Game Spring 2020
Old 08-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
It would be nice if the programmer geniuses behind the advanced combinatorial optimization software could understand that
As has been pointed out, it's not fair to southern teams to force them to host low attendance games early in the season before school gets out and summer attendance takes off because of crappy weather in the north.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Swell, we play in Oakland in September.

We'll never make the postseason.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Was hoping for a trip out to LA to catch the Sox at the Dodgers next year but it appears they don't get a home and home series. Maybe I'll look into the SF/SD pair of games for a west coast trip.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 PM
WSI Prelate

The White Sox get a weekend in San Francisco next May. The last time they got a weekend in San Francisco was Alexei Ramirez's rookie season.

In May 2008, Ramirez hit his first career home run in the series opener for the only runs in a 2-0 over Jonathan Sanchez (who pitched a no-hitter -- a Pablo Sandoval error away from a perfect game -- a year and two months later). In the Saturday night game, Mark Buerhle beat Barry Zito, hitting a ball off the right field wall in the process -- from the upper deck it didn't look like it was going to make McCovey Cove, but it looked like it might have enough for a cheap home run off the bat. On Sunday afternoon, Joe Crede, Orlando Cabrera and Carlos Quentin homered against Matt Cain, who was four years away from a perfect game with the help of an incredible catch by centerfielder Gregor Blanco. Of course, 2008 was a season with some White Sox heroics and Giants disappointments, but the Giants, with all that pitching (and they even traded Sanchez to Kansas City) were two years away from their first of three World Series championships in five years.

That was a long time ago.

And a night game in May in San Francisco demands the same blankets as a a dry April day game in Chicago.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:22 PM
WSI Prelate

So happy to see them coming to Colorado in 2020 (maybe they heard my prayers after I moved last year). Please have Luis Robert up by then. I will be there regardless. First time going to Coors. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
So happy to see them coming to Colorado in 2020 (maybe they heard my prayers after I moved last year). Please have Luis Robert up by then. I will be there regardless. First time going to Coors. Looking forward to it.
As far as I can tell they are playing the Rockies twice in Chicago...
Nevermind: Just found the April games
Old 08-12-2019, 06:51 PM
WSI Prelate

All games in the first 4 weeks of the season are in cold weather cities. The first game in a mild climate is April 23 at Anaheim.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 & 2018 NFL Pick'em Contests

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Only one three-team road trip next year (June 12-21: Houston, Detroit, Cleveland) and one three-team home stand (which has the Iowa game in it, August 7-16: Cleveland, Angels, Yankees). Still have to play at all 5 AL West teams on different road trips, but at least the trips to San Francisco and San Diego are on the same trip.

The road trip coming out of the ASB is only 5 games, with 3 at Detroit and 2 at Wrigley. A lot better than we usually seem to get in mid-July.

Obligatory 2019 attendance record: 0-1 (11-5 loss to the Tiggers on America's Birthday)

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
As has been pointed out, it's not fair to southern teams to force them to host low attendance games early in the season before school gets out and summer attendance takes off because of crappy weather in the north.
That's not the point- if the first 2 weeks of the weekend skew towards teams with domes/roofs or in warmer climates then the the next 2 weeks skew towards the northern teams- then no one gets hurt attendance wise- but common sense prevails.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS TIMES ELEVEN ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
https://www.mlb.com/astros/schedule/2020-04

One need look no further than the Houston Astros March/April schedule to see the stupidity of the MLB schedule makers! Scheduling a warm weather city with a retractable roof no less against other warm weather cities and dome teams, while making no effort to help the teams along the Great Lakes region to get some more warmer climate games in the books in March/April.

April home games suck for the most part in Chicago due to the weather.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 08-13-2019, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS TIMES ELEVEN ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
https://www.mlb.com/astros/schedule/2020-04

One need look no further than the Houston Astros March/April schedule to see the stupidity of the MLB schedule makers! Scheduling a warm weather city with a retractable roof no less against other warm weather cities and dome teams, while making no effort to help the teams along the Great Lakes region to get some more warmer climate games in the books in March/April.

April home games suck for the most part in Chicago due to the weather.
You won't get an argument from the Astros. Last year they opened the season with 14 of 23 games away, with two of the road series at Minnesota and Chicago in April. Madness. Why not the other way around?

This year they opened with 15 of 21 games away to start the year, including two trips to Arlington and one to Tampa. Makes no sense. And we get screwed out of chances for decent home game weather with the roof open. April is easily the best weather month for baseball here. The 90s and high humidity arrive in May and stay through a good bit of October. I'd love some more games here with the roof open. But for some reason the schedule makers can't seem to get it together.

And places like Minnesota should be building stadiums with retractable roofs. The technology is there. It was absolute nonsense to build that place without a roof. The league should make it mandatory ALL new stadiums should have the tech for a roof! And all existing stadiums should look into adding one. Your lives will improve I promise.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyroger2 View Post
... And places like Minnesota should be building stadiums with retractable roofs. The technology is there. It was absolute nonsense to build that place without a roof. The league should make it mandatory ALL new stadiums should have the tech for a roof! And all existing stadiums should look into adding one. Your lives will improve I promise.

I write this as a former Brewers season-ticket holder who disliked baseball under the retractable roof at Miller Park and as someone who spent some unhappy years in Texas. My life wouldn't be any less happy if baseball had never expanded and/or moved to Texas or if I never watched indoor baseball.

I endured some miserable weather to watch the White Sox in Chicago over the last half century. I never missed not being inside.