GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
This is really a cool idea. I visited Field of Dreams back in 1995, which I call, l it was the greatest one day adventure I ever had. We had just purchased our camper out at Woodhaven Lakes near Mendota IL and one weekend in My wife had planned a day trip for us to drive up to Galena from there.

We started off one early Saturday morning on our journey first stopping off in tiny Fulton IL, and visiting a property of a gentleman who recreated the tiny town of Fulton circa 1800s on his land. He built a town complete with homes and shops, (general stores, newspaper, saloons, post offic, barber etc) and even had a covered bridge on his land. We finished our Fulton tour and had a picnic lunch on the banks of the Mississippi River.

From Fulton we then headed on to Galena for a visit of the home of Civil War hero General Ulysses S. Grant. After touring the Grant home and some antique shops along the main drag (where I saw a team picture of the 1917 or 1919 White Sox for sale) we headed across the Mississippi River in to Dubuque Iowa to visit and explore some caves my wife wanted to see. The caves were really neat and it was really cool (literally) down there and saw some pretty amazing things.

We were just about to call it a day when my wife said you know Field of Dreams is less than an hour from here? So we just decided then and there to Go the Distance. Talk about in the middle of nowhere, and my wife navigated just using an Atlas map....no GPS in those days! We found it and toured the field and stands, I even got a chance to throw some BP pitches to my wife and daughter. It was a pretty cool experience.

After Field of Dreams we started to head home to the camper, and we got back somewhere around 11:00 pm and we were pretty exhausted. But I told my wife that was the most fun and adventurous day I ever had. We made a lot of stops, saw some really cool places and to end it with the Field of Dreams tour was the cherry on top of the sundae.
On your way there in the camper, did you happen to pick up a kid with a glove and bat who was hitchhiking his way to a baseball game?

Old 08-08-2019, 11:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
On your way there in the camper, did you happen to pick up a kid with a glove and bat who was hitchhiking his way to a baseball game?
LOL Good one DumpJerry.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:16 PM
WSI Personality

A part of me doubts many tickets will be made available to the public. Front offices, sponsors, network executives, etc will all want (and get) tickets. 8,000 tickets isn't a whole lot and if any land on the secondary market, they're gonna be super expensive.

Still, this is way cool and great for the organization.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Here I am pitching BP to my daughter at Field of Dreams in 1995. Shes 7 years in the photo. Shes 31 now and has a daughter of her own. Man time flies, this seems like it was only a couple Summers ago!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B32ED975-0CEE-4C03-A965-42333AF964BF.jpg (93.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It should be an interleague game with the Reds, by the way. That would exorcise the team featured in the movie.

Are the Reds on the White Sox schedule next year? If so, it would seem natural, especially with the Reds' foundational history.

As it is, it looks like the White Sox are losing a home date with the Yankees. Maybe not or maybe they're being compensated, but there are usually a few posts a year from fans complaining about how MLB schedules the Yankees road games against the White Sox.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Are the Reds on the White Sox schedule next year? If so, it would seem natural, especially with the Reds' foundational history.

As it is, it looks like the White Sox are losing a home date with the Yankees. Maybe not or maybe they're being compensated, but there are usually a few posts a year from fans complaining about how MLB schedules the Yankees road games against the White Sox.
Yes, this is a White Sox home game. I'm sure the Sox are being compensated, if not in actual cash from MLB (although that's probably likely too) then by all the extra publicity/merch sales they're going to get.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

I understand the game will be on Fox.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:53 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
Would Sox season ticketholders get tickets to this game? I wonder how tickets would be handled. I'd like to go.
Not a chance in hell. With 8000 seats, they will be filled with Hollywood types and "connected" people.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Not a chance in hell. With 8000 seats, they will be filled with Hollywood types and "connected" people.
Agreed. This will be a TV-only event for regular fans, save for a lucky few. I bet they'll put 2-4k on sale.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-09-2019, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Not sure how many Hollywood types and connected people are dying to (or even willing to) spend a Thursday night in August in Dyersville, Iowa. For that matter, I doubt even half of the Sox season ticket holders would be interested in making the drive and back. I suspect there will be more tickets available than you think.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Not sure how many Hollywood types and connected people are dying to (or even willing to) spend a Thursday night in August in Dyersville, Iowa. For that matter, I doubt even half of the Sox season ticket holders would be interested in making the drive and back. I suspect there will be more tickets available than you think.
It's about a 4.5 hours drive one-way. I'm sure many will overnight in Galena. Otherwise you're looking at 9 hours of driving with a three hour game, probably longer because it's the Yankees (see: West, Joe whine about Yankee/Red Sox games taking too long).
Old 08-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
It's about a 4.5 hours drive one-way. I'm sure many will overnight in Galena. Otherwise you're looking at 9 hours of driving with a three hour game, probably longer because it's the Yankees (see: West, Joe whine about Yankee/Red Sox games taking too long).
Sorry for the hijack, while I hate to agree with Joe West on anything, he was absolutely right when he was bitching about how long it takes the Yankees and Red Sox to play.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Dyersville is actually equidistant between Chicago and Minneapolis. Some Yankees fans might fly into MSP, though there are better sites along the way from Chicago.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Dyersville is actually equidistant between Chicago and Minneapolis. Some Yankees fans might fly into MSP, though there are better sites along the way from Chicago.
You can fly into Dubuque from any of the airports around NY city and it's only a 30 minute drive.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Its the New York Yankees. They could draw 8,000 on the moon.