Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 02:51 PM
WSI Guru

Default *Official* 9/5 Go Lo! Postgamer

Reynaldo will be a mainstay of our rotation for years to come. Games like this make me really happy about that.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Filthy stuff from Reynaldo today that was awesome to watch
Old 09-05-2019, 02:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Honestly one of the most enjoyable games all year for me with Anderson, Moncade, Jimenez, Collins, and Mendick all in the starting lineup . plus another one of the guys that we will be depending on next year, Lopez, simply dealing on the mound.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Two more hits for TA7.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Two more hits for TA7.

Appling, Thomas ..... Anderson? A reason to keeping watching.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Appling, Thomas ..... Anderson? A reason to keeping watching.
Pity that batting average doesn't mean anything anymore.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Reynaldo will be a mainstay of our rotation for years to come. Games like this make me really happy about that.
Were you thinking that six days ago when Lopez lasted 2/3 of an inning giving up six hits and six earned runs?

Lopez has an ERA of 5.17 for the year, after today's game. The White Sox average 4.24 runs per game, a 5.17 ERA generally isn't going to cut it.

Lopez can dazzle on occasion, I'll admit it, but he's had a lot more clunkers than dazzlers.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
Were you thinking that six days ago when Lopez lasted 2/3 of an inning giving up six hits and six earned runs?

Lopez has an ERA of 5.17 for the year, after today's game. The White Sox average 4.24 runs per game, a 5.17 ERA generally isn't going to cut it.

Lopez can dazzle on occasion, I'll admit it, but he's had a lot more clunkers than dazzlers.
Just let us enjoy this. September has been a boring month for us for years. These and Tim Anderson possibly winning the batting title are all we have going for us.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:

You are right on this. Days like today do give me hope he can turn things around on a consistent basis like Giolito has done this season though.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

This is just factually incorrect. He has pitched at least 5.0 innings and given up 3 earned runs or fewer in 18 of his 29 starts. Plus, he will give you 30 starts and 180 innings a year. So far, only Lopez and Giolito have proven themselves capable of that. I’m willing to see if he can hold down a spot in a winning rotation.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This is just factually incorrect. He has pitched at least 5.0 innings and given up 3 earned runs or fewer in 18 of his 29 starts. Plus, he will give you 30 starts and 180 innings a year. So far, only Lopez and Giolito have proven themselves capable of that. I’m willing to see if he can hold down a spot in a winning rotation.
Per baseball-reference, Lopez came into today's game with a 5.41 ERA. That's just a fact.

He's certainly pitched better in the second half, but you can't just write off the fact he had a 6.34 ERA in 18 starts in the first half either. He's also given up at least five runs in three of his last five starts too. So, I think it's still not clear what exactly Lopez is yet.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
The 5.17 ERA that Lopez sports is factually incorrect? I just double-checked, and his ERA is indeed 5.17. I made no mention of "quality" starts, I said dazzlers. Pitching five innings and giving up three earned runs isn't dazzling. Are 30 starts and 180 innings pitched, despite an ERA of 5.17 good enough to make the rotation of a team that hopes to be .500 next year, and maybe .550+ the next? A 5.17 ERA might be good enough to be the #5 starter if the team starts scoring an average of 5 or more runs per game.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The 5.17 ERA that Lopez sports is factually incorrect? I just double-checked, and his ERA is indeed 5.17. I made no mention of "quality" starts, I said dazzlers. Pitching five innings and giving up three earned runs isn't dazzling. Are 30 starts and 180 innings pitched, despite an ERA of 5.17 good enough to make the rotation of a team that hopes to be .500 next year, and maybe .550+ the next? A 5.17 ERA might be good enough to be the #5 starter if the team starts scoring an average of 5 or more runs per game.
You said “far more clunkers than dazzlers.” That is not at all true.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
You said “far more clunkers than dazzlers.” That is not at all true.
I guess it depends on how you define "clunkers" and "dazzlers." I can say that Lopez has had one month thus far this season with an ERA under 5.2.

He's started 29 games so far, going by quality starts (which is not a great stat but will work), I count 14 quality starts, which would mean 15 of them didn't qualify as quality starts.

So, I don't know. Two of those starts he gave up two runs or fewer but didn't throw at least six innings, so I guess those could qualify as "dazzlers."
Old 09-05-2019, 03:51 PM
WSI High Priest

So much negativity you'd think it was a Cubs forum.

Lopez has had a fine second half.

It's all looking up.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004