Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Default 2019: That's a wrap

Not the season we wanted, but better than we've had for several years, including the fake "win now" teams in 2015 and 2016.

Hahn, you're on the clock.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 PM
WSI Personality

Solid progress for offense. Hopefully the pitching gets better for next year.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

For me this season was just dramatically better than the misery of the past few years. I may be in the minority here by looking at the bright spots. But I'm happy to do so. Looking forward to next year.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Get on the phone with Clint Hurdleís people IMMEDIATELY.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 PM
WSI Regular

I was talking to my friend about this. The map for Hahn is simple; we need pitching and probably a RF and DH. The execution is most likely not simple but it is at least clear what needs to be done.
Now look at the Cubs. I wouldn't even know where to start. They have ton of money committed in bad contracts, they been very irregular in hitting over the past few years, their bullpen is a big question, the starting pitching is aging.
The White Sox ended up on the wrong side of .500 this season but I feel we're in better shape than the cross-towners.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Excluding injuries- nearly all of the "core", premier prospects had really nice years- other than Lopez, who showed some flashes.

Internal addtions like Robert, Madrigal and Kopech combined with another year of progress from Yoan, Eloy, TA7, Giolito, Lopez and Cease- could make for a fun 2020.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I was talking to my friend about this. The map for Hahn is simple; we need pitching and probably a RF and DH. The execution is most likely not simple but it is at least clear what needs to be done.
Now look at the Cubs. I wouldn't even know where to start. They have ton of money committed in bad contracts, they been very irregular in hitting over the past few years, their bullpen is a big question, the starting pitching is aging.
The White Sox ended up on the wrong side of .500 this season but I feel we're in better shape than the cross-towners.
The Sox need to re-sign Abreu. They need for more prospects to develop, including Jimenez to establish himself as the hitter he was late in the year as opposed to early in the year. As part of that, Moncada and Anderson need to have had breakout (maybe more poetically career-defining) seasons as opposed to career seasons. I don't know that any team really needs a DH as opposed to strong offensive hitters who can DH and play the field (Abreu ideally being part of such a mix). Signing a DH can and often does lead to disappointment and future regret. For example, I think the Sox would have had a better decade if they had signed or acquired a good right fielder instead of signing a DH before the 2011 season.

Mostly, the Sox need pitching. The team needs starting pitching. The team needs relief pitching. Like a lot of teams, the White Sox need a lot of pitching, which is going to make finding the pitching more challenging.

Without a lot more pitching, this team will at best be a disappointment.

This season was a disappointment in that that the individual successes didn't translate into more winning because there was so little and such inconsistent pitching. With so many games against such back teams, the record is a bit inflated, although it was good to see the Sox finish with a better record than the Padres.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:49 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
This season was a disappointment in that that the individual successes didn't translate into more winning because there was so little and such inconsistent pitching. With so many games against such back teams, the record is a bit inflated, although it was good to see the Sox finish with a better record than the Padres.
I'm disappointed since I was hoping for a .500 season. But let's put this in perspective, the Sox lost two starters (Kopeck and Rodon), they suffered other injuries to key player for extended periods. But still they finished with some very nice positives. There are several "ifs" but I'm encouraged for the future.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:11 PM
WSI Personality

For the most part, the guys who the Sox were depending on to contribute did so--in a BIG way.

The problem with this year's team were the major holes at 2B, CF, RF, and DH. Not to mention the lack of pitching depth.

The rotation next year will feature Giolito, Cease, Kopech, and Lopez. Whether or not all of them should be considered for the role is another question, but there is really only one pitching spot available to be upgraded and the Sox have more than enough money to do so.

Seeing as Robert and Madrigal will be up two weeks into April, the Sox are only a RF and DH short--and they can fill both of those positions with quality veterans for far less than they were prepared to offer Manny Machado.

2020 should be a big jump for the Sox. 90+ wins might be a bit ambitious with all of the young players, but over 80 wins should be the expectation IMHO
Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I'm disappointed since I was hoping for a .500 season. But let's put this in perspective, the Sox lost two starters (Kopeck and Rodon), they suffered other injuries to key player for extended periods. But still they finished with some very nice positives. There are several "ifs" but I'm encouraged for the future.
Where is the lack of pitching not part of the perspective? If you're not disappointed because Kopech and Rodon didn't pitch this year, but I don't know how that makes me feel better about the Sox only winning 72 games in a division where the teams behind them lost more than 110 and 100 games respectively. Whenever the White Sox faced the Angels they looked overmatched, and the Angels only won 72 games themselves (technically finishing half a game behind the White Sox).

Obviously, disappointment is a matter of perspective, but the easy AL Central schedule, from top to bottom, is a big reason the White Sox weren't threatening 100 losses this year. The Sox had a better record than the Angels and the Padres, but both of those teams played significantly harder schedules.

When Kopech and Rodon become solid major league starting pitchers, something Rodon has approached and Kopech never accomplished, if there isn't enough pitching I will still be disappointed.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
The rotation next year will feature Giolito, Cease, Kopech, and Lopez. Whether or not all of them should be considered for the role is another question, but there is really only one pitching spot available to be upgraded and the Sox have more than enough money to do so.
Only one pitching spot?

Giolito could regress. Kopech, Cease, and Lopez might take a year or more to get it together. They only have half a bullpen. Anyone could get hurt, and some will.

Ideally they would find a #1 starter, a #3 starter, and two high-leverage relievers. The #1 starter is Giolito insurance. The #3 pushes Kopech, Cease, and Lopez down in the pecking order to give them easier matchups and the option of moving the weakest to the bullpen. The high-leverage relievers are so we never have to see the likes of Ruiz again.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Only one pitching spot?

Giolito could regress. Kopech, Cease, and Lopez might take a year or more to get it together. They only have half a bullpen. Anyone could get hurt, and some will.

Ideally they would find a #1 starter, a #3 starter, and two high-leverage relievers. The #1 starter is Giolito insurance. The #3 pushes Kopech, Cease, and Lopez down in the pecking order to give them easier matchups and the option of moving the weakest to the bullpen. The high-leverage relievers are so we never have to see the likes of Ruiz again.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do think the Sox are going to give those four every opportunity next year
Old 09-29-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do think the Sox are going to give those four every opportunity next year
As they should. They need to replace the likes of Covey, Fulmer, Banuelos, Santiago, Detwiler, Santana, Despaigne, Ruiz, Minaya, and Vieira with actual major league pitchers. The best way to do that is to acquire top-end pitching, not more scrubs.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
For me this season was just dramatically better than the misery of the past few years. I may be in the minority here by looking at the bright spots. But I'm happy to do so. Looking forward to next year.
You may be in the minority - but I would say only in terms of number of negative posts vs. positive posts. I think most Sox fans (including me) feel the same way you do.

I can't wait until next season!
Old 09-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
You're not.

90% of the consistently negative posts come from a core of about 8 or 9 people.