White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 05:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Any update on Jiminez's injury?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Any update on Jiminez's injury?
Two weeks out

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Two weeks out
Not as bad as I feared. Good to see.

Doesn't take much negativity away from Robert being made of glass, though. That's really distressing.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Not as bad as I feared. Good to see.

Doesn't take much negativity away from Robert being made of glass, though. That's really distressing.
He may be too athletic for his body. He gets such small injuries but they are never ending. Who misses what amounts to the entire year for a thumb injury?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Missing two years of development is less than ideal.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 PM
WSI Guru

Assuming the middle ground in this latest thumb injury (six weeks), it adds up to about 16 weeks (four months) missed.

The "baseball-gods" keep giving the middle finger to the Sox. Ridiculous.

The totals for the prospects going back to last year: Robert (two serious injuries), Eloy (a few more-minor injuries although that strain could turn into a big one if he's not careful), Dunning, Burger (two serious injuries), Burdi, Cordell, Hansen and Adolfo.

All you can do is laugh I guess.

2022 is looking more and more realistic since they can't keep guys on the field.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 07-02-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Assuming the middle ground in this latest thumb injury (six weeks), it adds up to about 16 weeks (four months) missed.

The "baseball-gods" keep giving the middle finger to the Sox. Ridiculous.

The totals for the prospects going back to last year: Robert (two serious injuries), Eloy (a few more-minor injuries although that strain could turn into a big one if he's not careful), Dunning, Burger (two serious injuries), Burdi, Cordell, Hansen and Adolfo.

All you can do is laugh I guess.

2022 is looking more and more realistic since they can't keep guys on the field.

Is the Eloy injury an injury that could be avoided by better conditioning?

Lip, a question for you: If the White Sox can't keep guys on the field who plays in 2022?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple
Robert out four to eight weeks. The kid has barely played baseball since we signed him. He could be one of those always injured what could have been players.

I think he has played, maybe. 40 games total in the past two seasons
Which is why advocating for a 2019 call-up for this kid was silly...
Old 07-02-2018, 10:34 PM
WSI Guru

Personally given the number of injuries, the time not playing, the inconsistent performances of some guys and the youth of others I hope the Sox don't call anybody up this year.

Let the guys heal, maybe Hansen, Dunning, Robert can play in the Arizona Fall league and then see everyone in February.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Personally given the number of injuries, the time not playing, the inconsistent performances of some guys and the youth of others I hope the Sox don't call anybody up this year.

Let the guys heal, maybe Hansen, Dunning, Robert can play in the Arizona Fall league and then see everyone in February.
I feel the same way, except I wouldn’t even ticket those important guys for AFL. Just call it a wrap for everybody after Labor Day, except for the 40-man depth guys like Aaron Bummer, Jose Rondon, Matt Skole, and Dustin Garneau. Give Carson Fulmer a few more starts as well, although a James Shields trade may allow that to happen even sooner than September.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Which is why advocating for a 2019 call-up for this kid was silly...
Right, since we all should have been Ms Cleos and seen the rain of injuries coming

Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
Right, since we all should have been Ms Cleos and seen the rain of injuries coming

That is not my point. My point is that the time he already had missed was enough to make that extreme promotion schedule silly.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That is not my point. My point is that the time he already had missed was enough to make that extreme promotion schedule silly.
This was all under the premise that by some miracle the Sox would have contended this season and the one glaring hole come August being CF.

Also under the Assumption he'd have a healthy spring and blow right thru Winston Salem as the elite prospect he was tagged by.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
This was all under the premise that by some miracle the Sox would have contended this season and the one glaring hole come August being CF.

Also under the Assumption he'd have a healthy spring and blow right thru Winston Salem as the elite prospect he was tagged by.
Neither of those things should have been assumed.

“Elite prospect” and “accelerated path to the majors” are two entirely different concepts. The absolute best-case scenario still would have meant the rest of 2018 being spent at Winston-Salem while his still-absent power returned. Without a return of his power, he should have been repeating Winston-Salem at the beginning of 2019 anyway.

Even assuming a great stint at high-A to close out 2018 and a great 2019 Spring Training, it would have been quite a meteoric rise to go from AA all the way to the majors with fewer than 1000 total minor league plate appearances as a 22-year-old. Honestly, with the way Anderson, Fulmer, and Moncada have struggled after aggressive promotions, I would have advised against it.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Separate from the injury issues (5 of our top 9, 7 of our top 17 prospects with significant injuries this year with half the season to go- yuck)- some nice performances last night-

Rivera and Rutherford continue to rake at A+
Thompson (recently promoted) with a solid 2 inning save at AA
Very good start by Adams at AAA
Closed Thread