WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
The Frank Thomas statue would get on base more
Cheap shot.

I chuckled.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM
WSI Prelate

We are talking about an entire group of players that is extremely unlikely to have any major league success. That said, Asche is at the bottom of the list of possible success. If the Sox had anything in the minors worth promoting, they would.

By the way, seeing how some folks react here to non-prospects not getting promoted, I wonder how they would feel if this was the Pirates, with Marte getting the 80-game suspension and the team not promoting Meadows, a consensus top prospect.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Don't forget May and Covey...

Lip

Covey is Rule 5, which makes his situation entirely different. The White Sox apparently want him for the future and can't send him down even though he isn't ready.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
By the way, seeing how some folks react here to non-prospects not getting promoted, I wonder how they would feel if this was the Pirates, with Marte getting the 80-game suspension and the team not promoting Meadows, a consensus top prospect.
He was struggling bad down in the minors, more than likely the reason why they avoided the promotion.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
He was struggling bad down in the minors, more than likely the reason why they avoided the promotion.
I know, but it would be interesting to see the reactions here in that situation, regardless.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
We are talking about an entire group of players that is extremely unlikely to have any major league success. That said, Asche is at the bottom of the list of possible success. If the Sox had anything in the minors worth promoting, they would.
I agree that Delmonico and Hayes have limited upside, but that's more than Asche, and this is the perfect year to give any AAA player with a hint of upside an opportunity.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I agree that Delmonico and Hayes have limited upside, but that's more than Asche, and this is the perfect year to give any AAA player with a hint of upside an opportunity.
This takes me to my Meadows question. Let's say the Sox had an Austin Meadows and he was not performing well in the minors; would you have him on the MLB roster?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
This takes me to my Meadows question. Let's say the Sox had an Austin Meadows and he was not performing well in the minors; would you have him on the MLB roster?
No. I wouldn't mess with a youngster, especially an elite prospect like Meadows. But Delmonico and Hayes are much older, had good springs, and are playing well at AAA (.790 and .815 OPS respectively); they are doing what they need to do to get a callup.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I know, but it would be interesting to see the reactions here in that situation, regardless.
I think Sox fans (most) have a good grip in understanding how this is going work.

Case and point, Moncada. He's playing very well at AAA and easily should be playing over Saladino here for the White Sox. I don't here much complaining from Sox fans saying why isn't here right now. They understand he can use a good 150-200 ABs down in AAA and plus for service time finances, it doesn't make sense to call him up now.

I'm pretty sure if Meadows was struggling right now in Charlotte not many would be screaming why the hell is May playing over him here in the Bigs.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I think Sox fans (most) have a good grip in understanding how this is going work.

Case and point, Moncada. He's playing very well at AAA and easily should be playing over Saladino here for the White Sox. I don't here much complaining from Sox fans saying why isn't here right now. They understand he can use a good 150-200 ABs down in AAA and plus for service time finances, it doesn't make sense to call him up now.

I'm pretty sure if Meadows was struggling right now in Charlotte not many would be screaming why the hell is May playing over him here in the Bigs.
You're right, good point. I totally dropped the ball there not thinking about Moncada, and I give credit to folks for not clamoring for his early promotion (save for a couple of posters preseason).
Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Agree completely.

Lip
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
The ML careers of Hayes and Delmonico won't be long enough that counting the option years matters, and someone will be up when Frazier is traded anyway.
Exactly. They're minor league depth. Therefore, it makes sense to preserve that minor league eligibility as long as possible.

Even if Asche's platoon mercifully ends, I'm fairly certain they will keep him around in a first lefty bat off the bench/insurance policy role.

As for Frazier's replacement, it wouldn't surprise me if that coincides with Yoan Moncada's arrival in Chicago. Saladino moves over to 3B, and no other roster moves need to be made.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Even if Asche's platoon mercifully ends, I'm fairly certain they will keep him around in a first lefty bat off the bench/insurance policy role.
He has a bat?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
He has a bat?
No, but it's not like anybody else on this team has one. Stash him on the bench and let him walk in the offseason.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:24 PM
WSI Prelate

No real reason for it to end now. It never had a point in the first place, as he is neither a prospect nor a veteran who could be traded. This is just FO fantasy land stuff.