Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2017, 06:50 PM
WSI Prelate

The problem with holding off on trading Q, and I said it at the time, is that the market for starting pitchers was not going to get any better for sellers than it was when we traded Sale. Now, we have to wait for Quintana to pull his ERA together, and hope that other teams don't decide to put their starters on the market, giving trade partners other options. This offseason, there was a staggering lack of good starters available both in free agency and available via trade, which drove Quintana's value higher and higher. That's going to change more and more the longer we wait. That's the big issue with holding on to Q.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
The problem with holding off on trading Q, and I said it at the time, is that the market for starting pitchers was not going to get any better for sellers than it was when we traded Sale. Now, we have to wait for Quintana to pull his ERA together, and hope that other teams don't decide to put their starters on the market, giving trade partners other options. This offseason, there was a staggering lack of good starters available both in free agency and available via trade, which drove Quintana's value higher and higher. That's going to change more and more the longer we wait. That's the big issue with holding on to Q.

No one was offering a good package for him. Come July, when a team is outside the playoff race, with a GM who has his job on the line, and his rotation is hurting, will pay more.

It happens every year, someone gets desperate at the deadline. There was ZERO reason to rush trading Q because of his contract. It isn't like we had these insane offers thrown at us. Add to the fact we actually did have him traded, and it fell apart at the 25th hour when the owners were brought in (and not by JR), there was no reason whatsoever, for Hahn to make a move that wasn't right.

After 2 bad starts, that hasn't changed.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 PM
WSI High Priest

He has 154 career starts with remarkable consistency- a few bad innings in April isn't going to hurt his value
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Unless there is any indication of injury like diminished velocity, etc., this thread is overreacting suckitide.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Unless there is any indication of injury like diminished velocity, etc., this thread is overreacting suckitide.

It's pretty simple. If a team would have met what the Sox felt was fair value they would have traded him. Since no team did he's still with the Sox.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
No one was offering a good package for him. Come July, when a team is outside the playoff race, with a GM who has his job on the line, and his rotation is hurting, will pay more.

It happens every year, someone gets desperate at the deadline. There was ZERO reason to rush trading Q because of his contract. It isn't like we had these insane offers thrown at us. Add to the fact we actually did have him traded, and it fell apart at the 25th hour when the owners were brought in (and not by JR), there was no reason whatsoever, for Hahn to make a move that wasn't right.

After 2 bad starts, that hasn't changed.
Hahn says there were no reasonable offers; other sources said otherwise. Other teams get reasonable offers for their players, but Hahn says he can't.

Hopefully Q's struggles are just an anomaly and Hahn produces.

Last edited by Tragg; 04-15-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quintana is one of my all-time least favorite Sox players. And I can't wait until July when he gets shipped somewhere else.

That said, no panic here. If he's healthy he'll figure it out enough to carry his value.

Gotta find the offense and win the series tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 AM
WSI Regular

more I see the success so far with the 17 white sox i think there is regret they traded away Eaton and Sale. Could of had had been competitive with Avi hitting like this. The difference is in getting rid of Robin. Quintana is due for a down year; no doubt he has little incentive to blow arm out on a lost cause. Logically.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 AM
WSI Regular

Enough with this chicken little stuff. Come on! Quintana didn't have it today. Have you been watching this guy during his career? He is a genuine #2 starter on most clubs. For some reason he rarely receives much run support from the White Sox bats. He will bounce back. And the Sox will probably move him later this season when Hahn starts fielding some decent offers.

Personally, I would like to keep Quintana and make him a vital part of this rebuilding project, especially since the jury is still out on Rodon. But if Hahn can pick up several top-level prospects, I would be in favor of moving him.

Can't figure out why Q has a few rough outings to start the season and some fans on this board are ready to tar-and-feather the guy. He has been very consistent over his career. And yes, maybe all the trade talk is getting to him. But I have confidence he'll return to form shortly.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He's in a platoon, it has nothing to do with whether or not he hit a home run the previous day.
All I know is Davidson is hitting. Not too many other people on the team are hitting. Davidson should be in the lineup every day as along as he is hitting.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Every pitcher has rough outings. Quintana has been remarkably consistent over the years he's been with the Sox.

I'm not panicking about him. He has been a hard luck pitcher for years. It's time the team picked him up for a change.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Hahn says there were no reasonable offers; other sources said otherwise. Other teams get reasonable offers for their players, but Hahn says he can't.
Who were these "sources"? Other GMs claiming that Hahn was asking for too much when they were in fact lowballing? Or perhaps biased media members acting like homers?

Seriously, Hahn has already shown that he can get reasonable returns, let's not get dramatic.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Who were these "sources"? Other GMs claiming that Hahn was asking for too much when they were in fact lowballing? Or perhaps biased media members acting like homers?

Seriously, Hahn has already shown that he can get reasonable returns, let's not get dramatic.
Well, if the rumored Musgrove/Martes/Tucker package is true, that is too much to give up for Quintana. If I were an Astros fan, and Lunhow made that trade, I would be pretty unhappy.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post

He has - for those he has been able to move.
I just want to make sure he gets all the guys moved, which I count as c. 10. Because the Sox org. needs those B-/C+ prospects that those 2nd tier players can bring.

Last edited by Tragg; 04-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:49 PM
WSI Guru

I would love to see the reaction here if Hahn would have traded Quintana for Glasnow and Co.