Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 06:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

As long as there is competition, tv rights will continue to soar. It's not so much what they show, its THAT they show. Biggest problem networks and other delivery systems have is lack of programming. 162 times four hours plus repeats and post season is a valuable commodity.
Also why movies not good enough to be released find a home on video and cable.

I'm old enough to remember sitting in front of a black screen and waiting for something to appear. Only 4 channels back then.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Which is always great in a world awash in debt.
I know what you are getting at but I cant go there here.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
As long as there is competition, tv rights will continue to soar.
If there was true competition then prices would not soar.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
If there was true competition then prices would not soar.
I think the poster meant competition between teams not competition as you are referring to as in free market competition.

I'd also ask that you refrain from more borderline political posts. You've walked right up to the line twice in recent posts. We try to avoid letting things get political here and you are free to start those conversations at Politically Incorrect.

Thanks.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-21-2017, 07:16 PM
WSI Regular

I believe the Sox will get screwed out of any new TV deal worth more money, by the time the contract is up cable television will truly be an obsolete medium. I don't have any faith that the Sox can be on the cutting edge to new marketing ideas. I say we are 10 years from a serious threat of the Sox relocating to another market. I don't see the city of Chicago jumping through any hoops to keep the Sox here quite honestly. Unless they get a new deal as sweet as the current in a new ballpark in the western suburbs that might be the only hope for the Sox future. Big question is, would any of you cheer for the Sox in another market? I for one would burn all my Sox gear, and be done with MLB baseball for good.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-SideTrifecta View Post
I believe the Sox will get screwed out of any new TV deal worth more money, by the time the contract is up cable television will truly be an obsolete medium. I don't have any faith that the Sox can be on the cutting edge to new marketing ideas. I say we are 10 years from a serious threat of the Sox relocating to another market. I don't see the city of Chicago jumping through any hoops to keep the Sox here quite honestly. Unless they get a new deal as sweet as the current in a new ballpark in the western suburbs that might be the only hope for the Sox future. Big question is, would any of you cheer for the Sox in another market? I for one would burn all my Sox gear, and be done with MLB baseball for good.
You do realize the TV contract is up in 2019 right? And the stadium deal goes for another 13 years.

As far as the rest of your post all I can say, with respect, is:

Lip
Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You do realize the TV contract is up in 2019 right? And the stadium deal goes for another 13 years.

As far as the rest of your post all I can say, with respect, is:

Lip

Yes, I realize that, and the way things are going for cable right now it doesn't look good for the Sox. This will then make things difficult for the Sox to say 13 years from now. Plus now Oakland announced a new ballpark today, looks like they are staying in Oakland. I agree with the Sox will be heading to the South 13 years from now. Nashville, Austin, San Antonio, or Las Vegas.

Maybe another championship is our only chance. it doesn't look good though, I'm sorry to say. This is just my opinion though, don't mean any harm, I hope I am wrong.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Cable won't be obsolete for decades if ever. There will be changes like ala cartel programming and yes that will somewhat impact broadcasting fees to teams but money will still be there and lots of it. In San Jose and other major cities with good competition between providers prices and options are just better from the major companies than anything the streaming services can offer. More reliable too.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I agree with the Sox will be heading to the South 13 years from now. Nashville, Austin, San Antonio, or Las Vegas.
None of them can support a major league team for 81 home games. Neither can Portland, Charlotte or Salt Lake City.

Unless you think they'll move to Montreal none of the cities above are viable, profitable options. They certainly don't have a bigger profit possibility than Chicago.

And in 13 years the Sox will almost certainly be under new ownership.

Lip
Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Cable won't be obsolete for decades if ever. There will be changes like ala cartel programming and yes that will somewhat impact broadcasting fees to teams but money will still be there and lots of it. In San Jose and other major cities with good competition between providers prices and options are just better from the major companies than anything the streaming services can offer. More reliable too.
That very well be, but I have a feeling the Sox deal is going to be at the wrong time, a transition time between new mediums to watch ballgames, and I could completely see where the Sox deal gets screwed while teams 3-4 years later, sign better deals once the way to watch baseball changes and takes seat. The Sox have missed out IMO on the mega deals, ala LA Dodgers and Texas sort of deals already I think.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
None of them can support a major league team for 81 home games. Neither can Portland, Charlotte or Salt Lake City.

Unless you think they'll move to Montreal none of the cities above are viable, profitable options. They certainly don't have a bigger profit possibility than Chicago.

And in 13 years the Sox will almost certainly be under new ownership.

Lip

All those cities will have bigger populations than they do now in 13 years, by a lot. Nashville area is growing by 100 people a day right now, this was reported recently. That is 400,000 more in that area in 10 years, which will make the Nashville area alone close to St. Louis area in size. I'm going to remain worried, I don't have a good feeling. Austin TX is really growing fast, city is getting close to a million, and their metro also over a million. in 13 years there will be 3 million plus in that metro easy, not to mention it will keep growing. Chicago and Illinois is going to keep declining for decades to come, everyone I know is looking for ways to leave this area. I think it is sad, everyone wants warm and sunny days I guess. I like the cold misery of Chicago winters, it makes me who I am.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
The Sox have missed out IMO on the mega deals, ala LA Dodgers and Texas sort of deals already I think.
Given the performance on the field the last 10 years, they weren't going to get that type of deal anyway and should they keep losing the next three years (they probably will) the "changing medium" in your opinion will have absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

It will be more because they will have performed badly for 13 seasons and the Cubs new TV network is going to suck much of the oxygen (and advertising) out of the market.

This is not directed towards you but I'm totally dumbfounded at how pessimistic some fans are reacting on this board to something that in all likelihood IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

The White Sox are not moving to Austin, Texas (***?), Salt Lake City or Charlotte REGARDLESS of what the population numbers say.

Folks, please...let's get real here. Again NONE of those cities has the income potential of a franchise in Chicago run properly by good ownership.

Can we please table this talk for say the next 10 years???????

I mean seriously

Lip
Old 04-21-2017, 10:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
All those cities will have bigger populations than they do now in 13 years, by a lot. Nashville area is growing by 100 people a day right now, this was reported recently. That is 400,000 more in that area in 10 years, which will make the Nashville area alone close to St. Louis area in size. I'm going to remain worried, I don't have a good feeling. Austin TX is really growing fast, city is getting close to a million, and their metro also over a million. in 13 years there will be 3 million plus in that metro easy, not to mention it will keep growing. Chicago and Illinois is going to keep declining for decades to come, everyone I know is looking for ways to leave this area. I think it is sad, everyone wants warm and sunny days I guess. I like the cold misery of Chicago winters, it makes me who I am.
I think you are correct both on the cable thing and your demographic projections. Beyond that I've got to be careful. I don't think it's a certainty that the Sox will eventually leave but I've been leaning more that way with each passing year. Like you said you know lots of folks who want out of the area and we all know long time residents who have left for one reason or another. Including me and more than a few members on this board.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Lip,

I dont think too many people are thinking the Sox will leave a lease where its next to impossible for the team to lose money. When that lease is up all bets are off. I know you keep up with the goings on of the city but being here gives one a lot clearer prospective. A lot can and I think will happen in the city in the next 13 years and not in a good way in my opinion. Changes happen real fast these days.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Given the performance on the field the last 10 years, they weren't going to get that type of deal anyway and should they keep losing the next three years (they probably will) the "changing medium" in your opinion will have absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

It will be more because they will have performed badly for 13 seasons and the Cubs new TV network is going to suck much of the oxygen (and advertising) out of the market.

This is not directed towards you but I'm totally dumbfounded at how pessimistic some fans are reacting on this board to something that in all likelihood IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

The White Sox are not moving to Austin, Texas (***?), Salt Lake City or Charlotte REGARDLESS of what the population numbers say.

Folks, please...let's get real here. Again NONE of those cities has the income potential of a franchise in Chicago run properly by good ownership.

Can we please table this talk for say the next 10 years???????

I mean seriously

Lip
Yeah actually if you go back to that article I linked above about ratings and follow back to the source material you'll find out the Sox were the only team in MLB not to pull a 1.0 or higher share last year. They need to put a solid team on the field and make some noise in the playoffs to get that next big contract.