And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
You're catching a lot of hell for your stance on this issue. Welcome to the club, I do too here and elsewhere. I think you are ahead of the curve. Like I said previously the world is about to change in more ways than we can imagine. What used to take years and decades is now on the cusp of a rapid suddenness few of us will be prepared for. Those multi billion dollar mega media contracts are build on a paradigm that is becoming fast shifting sand. I think you are showing a prescience that is for the moment bringing you scorn.
Hey, maybe he's right but the fact is that people are watching and spending money to do so. No one is streaming on any of these other devices without paying for the service in one way or another.

Maybe "TV" is a dying medium, that doesn't mean people aren't watching. They are just watching in other ways and like Lip said, MLB doesn't care how people watch they only care that they are watching.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Hey, maybe he's right but the fact is that people are watching and spending money to do so. No one is streaming on any of these other devices without paying for the service in one way or another.

Maybe "TV" is a dying medium, that doesn't mean people aren't watching. They are just watching in other ways and like Lip said, MLB doesn't care how people watch they only care that they are watching.
And even though viewing habits will change, whatever replaces tv rights will be the big source of revenue. The sport is not going to go backward to a time when tickets and concession sales were "king."
Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardiWasHere View Post
And even though viewing habits will change, whatever replaces tv rights will be the big source of revenue. The sport is not going to go backward to a time when tickets and concession sales were "king."

I totally agree. I see the chance of studio games being more possible than larger crowds at ball parks. Technology is advancing at such a fast rate, being present at events is less and less fulfilling. What the medium will be, I dont know but I do know it wont be cheap.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I totally agree. I see the chance of studio games being more possible than larger crowds at ball parks. Technology is advancing at such a fast rate, being present at events is less and less fulfilling. What the medium will be, I dont know but I do know it wont be cheap.
This old fart is having a hard time understanding all of this, if TV revenues are this huge source of income than why does it cost so much to bring a family of 4 to a game. Why are some seats 250 dollars and parking so damn much, aren't the Yankees charging 1000 bucks for their best seats which BTW are mainly empty. If it's also the case then it doesn't matter where the Sox play, they might as well stay at the present location and hope for another sweetheart deal.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
This old fart is having a hard time understanding all of this, if TV revenues are this huge source of income than why does it cost so much to bring a family of 4 to a game. Why are some seats 250 dollars and parking so damn much, aren't the Yankees charging 1000 bucks for their best seats which BTW are mainly empty. If it's also the case then it doesn't matter where the Sox play, they might as well stay at the present location and hope for another sweetheart deal.
Because it's all about revenue. Teams are trying to maximize their revenue through all available outlets. Sure, teams could charge $10 a seat, come close to selling out every game and make a profit. But they can make more profit if they charge more but less come out, especially given that seat prices are based on their location within the stadium. Baseball is a business and like any other business they charge what the market bears, maybe slightly more. Don't want to go to a game? Watch on TV. The team is getting paid either way.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Who knows what happens in 13 years. Maybe the next stadium will hold 10k with climate controlled boxes, private hologram tvs, a personal robotic servant, at a cost of a couple G's per game. Then us peons will be watching the game on some sort of hologram machine and the baseball subscription wont be cheap.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Who knows what happens in 13 years. Maybe the next stadium will hold 10k with climate controlled boxes, private hologram tvs, a personal robotic servant, at a cost of a couple G's per game. Then us peons will be watching the game on some sort of hologram machine and the baseball subscription wont be cheap.
God, how I miss the 1950s and 60s.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
God, how I miss the 1950s and 60s.

Hey we had it, most didnt, so dont feel bad.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Traditional TV watching habits are a dying medium but the reason why local sports contracts are through the roof is that it remains the one true "DVR/ On Demand" proof television event. People still gather around the TV at a specific time to watch a live sporting event. This doesn't happen nearly as much for any other form of TV programming anymore which is why the advertising revenue from sports remains much higher than other shows. This is also why MLB has all the goofy blackout rules in place on their mlb.tv streaming service. They are protecting the goose that is laying the golden eggs which is local cable and satellite TV providers who are desperate for their programming and pay a premium for it. There may come a time when MLB relaxes those blackout rules but when that happens, everyone will be paying a whole bunch more for that subscription. They'll still get their money for broadcast rights, it will just be in a different medium.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Hey we had it, most didnt, so dont feel bad.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Because that's how much people are willing to pay. It's a free market and always has been one.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't know if it will come to exactly that but you're getting the idea. Big changes on the horizon.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I don't know if it will come to exactly that but you're getting the idea. Big changes on the horizon.
One other question I have, if TV is brings in all this great revenue then why are the Rays and A's begging for new stadiums, don't know all that much about the A's but the Rays say they can't survive playing at Tropicana Field much longer.
The Braves are now playing in the third new stadium since moving to Atlanta in 1966.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
One other question I have, if TV is brings in all this great revenue then why are the Rays and A's begging for new stadiums
Because they can and most of the time the state and or city will give in and get it for them usually with tax dollars.

Another word for it is greed. Owners want more advertising space, more luxury boxes to sell to corporations for a LOT of money...things along those lines.

Sometimes though stadiums do get old and need to be replaced just like cars, TV's, toasters and their ilk.

And TV revenue is different for each franchise. True MLB does have revenue sharing to an extent with national TV money but usually a New York market say is going to be getting a hell of a lot more than Tampa, Oakland or Cleveland for TV rights.

Lip
Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Which is always great in a world awash in debt.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004