White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:49 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
Most of them will end up being cub fans.
Most of them will probably end up being "whatever" fans. Cub games because it is the trendy thing to do most of the time, Sox games when they are winning.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:32 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 9,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
And the Sox are going to leave a Metro area of 9.5 million for one of 2.4 million and the gate is going to increase?
9.5 million and 66% are Cub fans, so our metro area fan base is probably 3 million. Those towns with 2.5 million except for Cleveland outdraw us, I'd love for the Sox to draw as much as Milwaukee with their paltry 2.5 million metro area while we can't even draw 2 million a season with your 9.5 million.

I think the only way for the Sox to make a dent in the Cub fan base and steal some fans away from them is to find a suburban location, I wish it would happen tomorrow.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-19-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:41 PM
NardiWasHere NardiWasHere is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
9.5 million and 66% are Cub fans, so our metro area fan base is probably 3 million. Those towns with 2.5 million except for Cleveland outdraw us, I'd love for the Sox to draw as much as Milwaukee with their paltry 2.5 million metro area while we can't even draw 2 million a season.

I think the only way for the Sox to make a dent in the Cub fan base and steal some fans away from them is to find a suburban location, I wish it would happen tomorrow.
You live in Florida. Why do you care if the park is in the suburbs?

I'm not an expert, but I doubt gate revenue is as important as you make it seem. I would be willing to bet that TV money for the 3rd largest market is potentially huge.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:52 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 9,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardiWasHere View Post
You live in Florida. Why do you care if the park is in the suburbs?

I'm not an expert, but I doubt gate revenue is as important as you make it seem. I would be willing to bet that TV money for the 3rd largest market is potentially huge.
Because I want to see the White Sox succeed on the field and at the gate, they just don't draw in their present location. I've been a Sox fan since the early 1950s and it breaks my heart to see the team flounder like it has and I put all the blame on JR and his regime plus some other stupid moves by other Sox owners through the years. In our years in Chicago (48) we supported the Sox through thick and thin (I was also a vendor in 1962) so don't question my loyalty.
I'll tell you how much I love the Sox, when I was in Vietnam with the USAF in 1968 I worked the midnight shift and after my shift I would have breakfast and then go back to the barracks to sleep, the Stars and Stripes Newspaper was flown in about 10:30 am every day and I would get out of bed, and run down to the BX to get one of the 100 copies we received at our air base and then go back to sleep, I did this for only one reason, to see how my White Sox did in their last game.


As far as the gate, ask the players how they like playing in a ballpark full of empty seats.

I'm not sure how much the Sox are getting on TV deals but it's not enough to get us up in the upper echelon in team income with teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs. The Forbes ranking has us at 14 or 15, that's terrible for a major market team.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-19-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:41 PM
NardiWasHere NardiWasHere is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Because I want to see the White Sox succeed on the field and at the gate, they just don't draw in their present location. I've been a Sox fan since the early 1950s and it breaks my heart to see the team flounder like it has and I put all the blame on JR and his regime plus some other stupid moves by other Sox owners through the years. In our years in Chicago (48) we supported the Sox through thick and thin (I was also a vendor in 1962) so don't question my loyalty.
I'll tell you how much I love the Sox, when I was in Vietnam with the USAF in 1968 I worked the midnight shift and after my shift I would have breakfast and then go back to the barracks to sleep, the Stars and Stripes Newspaper was flown in about 10:30 am every day and I would get out of bed, and run down to the BX to get one of the 100 copies we received at our air base and then go back to sleep, I did this for only one reason, to see how my White Sox did in their last game.


As far as the gate, ask the players how they like playing in a ballpark full of empty seats.

I'm not sure how much the Sox are getting on TV deals but it's not enough to get us up in the upper echelon in team income with teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs. The Forbes ranking has us at 14 or 15, that's terrible for a major market team.

I wasnt questioning your loyalty. I just find it interesting that you'd have such a strong desire to see a suburban park if you are living out of state...
especially with over a decade left on the current lease, that's all. If I was in your position, I wouldn't care.

I don't think that the Sox would move out of market #3 to market #22 because of the gate. Just because they can't compete with NYY, LAD, etc. doesn't mean it makes sense to move to a smaller sunbelt state location like you seem to think is so likely.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 9,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardiWasHere View Post
I wasnt questioning your loyalty. I just find it interesting that you'd have such a strong desire to see a suburban park if you are living out of state...
especially with over a decade left on the current lease, that's all. If I was in your position, I wouldn't care.

I don't think that the Sox would move out of market #3 to market #22 because of the gate. Just because they can't compete with NYY, LAD, etc. doesn't mean it makes sense to move to a smaller sunbelt state location like you seem to think is so likely.
Like I said I think they would do much better in the burbs.
So you must live in the city, tell me why you think 35th and Shields is such a great location where history says the Sox don't draw well there unless they are winning and sometimes the fans still stay home.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 2,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardiWasHere View Post
You live in Florida. Why do you care if the park is in the suburbs?

I'm not an expert, but I doubt gate revenue is as important as you make it seem. I would be willing to bet that TV money for the 3rd largest market is potentially huge.
The era of the television is dying. It's gate revenue and marketing that are king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardiWasHere View Post
I don't think that the Sox would move out of market #3 to market #22 because of the gate. Just because they can't compete with NYY, LAD, etc. doesn't mean it makes sense to move to a smaller sunbelt state location like you seem to think is so likely.
Economics will dictate. As for being the number three market, it may not be for long because people are leaving this state.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Like I said I think they would do much better in the burbs.
So you must live in the city, tell me why you think 35th and Shields is such a great location where history says the Sox don't draw well there unless they are winning and sometimes the fans still stay home.

Its so much easier for me to look in rear view mirror than gaze into the future. I still think that a suburban stadium would have been a lot better than the current one but how things are going to be 13 years from now is way too tough for me to guess.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 30,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
The era of the television is dying. It's gate revenue and marketing that are king.
Excuse me...WHAT????????

Hell you've just had Arizona, Seattle and St. Louis sign BILLION dollar deals for their local TV rights.

Dying? If anything the rights are higher then they've ever been in the televised history of the sport.

Gate revenue ranks WAY DOWN the list of income priorities for teams.

Sure they love a full park because of parking, concession and their ilk but if not, as long as the regional and national TV money is there plus the new media income streams (like MLB-TV, the MLB Network and such...) they won't be losing any sleep.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 52,951
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
The era of the television is dying. It's gate revenue and marketing that are king.
This is COMPLETELY backwards. TV revenue by far dwarfs attendance revenue across the board.

Attendance is vital but media contracts are king.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 2,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
This is COMPLETELY backwards. TV revenue by far dwarfs attendance revenue across the board.

Attendance is vital but media contracts are king.
No one watches games on TV anymore. It's either streamed on a mobile device or digested in small pieces like the news.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 52,951
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
No one watches games on TV anymore. It's either streamed on a mobile device or digested in small pieces like the news.
Dude, you're wrong, period. Now the fact the Sox have struggled and currently have crappy ratings doesn't change the fact that baseball on TV is as popular or more popular than ever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#3c51a024ce9d
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 30,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Dude, you're wrong, period. Now the fact the Sox have struggled and currently have crappy ratings doesn't change the fact that baseball on TV is as popular or more popular than ever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#3c51a024ce9d
Totally agree. The previous statement by the poster is simply irrational and completely untrue.

TV is what is keeping this sport going!

And MLB couldn't give a tinker's cuss if fans watch it in their living room, on a computer or on a cell phone (which I agree is simply nuts...who the hell can actually see anything on that small of a screen but I digress...LOL)

IT ALL PAYS THE SAME!!!!!!!

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 2,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Dude, you're wrong, period. Now the fact the Sox have struggled and currently have crappy ratings doesn't change the fact that baseball on TV is as popular or more popular than ever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#3c51a024ce9d

There is a decline, in both participation and in regular season viewership. It will continue. Football saw it, and that season is much shorter. The Blackhawks are seeing it too. So dude, it will happen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-...b_9630782.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...12-months-usa/
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 5,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
There is a decline, in both participation and in regular season viewership. It will continue. Football saw it, and that season is much shorter. The Blackhawks are seeing it too. So dude, it will happen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-...b_9630782.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...12-months-usa/
You're catching a lot of hell for your stance on this issue. Welcome to the club, I do too here and elsewhere. I think you are ahead of the curve. Like I said previously the world is about to change in more ways than we can imagine. What used to take years and decades is now on the cusp of a rapid suddenness few of us will be prepared for. Those multi billion dollar mega media contracts are build on a paradigm that is becoming fast shifting sand. I think you are showing a prescience that is for the moment bringing you scorn.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.