Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 AM
WSI Regular

Not a bad investment for Jerry Reinsdorf in 1981, when I believe he paid about $19 million for the franchise along with decaying Comiskey Park.

Lip is correct. Reinsdorf is not selling the team now or in the near future. Due to the tax ramifications that kick in if he sells, he will be holding on indefinitely. Reinsdorf may be many things, but he is not a dumb man.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:22 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo bat View Post
Not a bad investment for Jerry Reinsdorf in 1981, when I believe he paid about $19 million for the franchise along with decaying Comiskey Park.
I think it was closer to 12 million if I remember right.

Lip
Old 04-16-2017, 03:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Just think of Bud Selig's year over year investment from the Brewers when he bought and sold his franchise. Then moving to a position with a super-high salary of a pro sports commissioner.

With other owners controlling bids, they have the power to make others very wealthy. With media deals going up, up, up and revenue-sharing, they make sure everyone is taken care of. Amazing to think what Reinsdorf will cash out someday for his family for a relatively small ownership level versus what other people have. I am looking forward to the next Sox owner because that person is likely to have a lot of personal money to invest, and the right person may more aggressively pursue a championship. At that point, the team's prospects may have panned out as a whole and sometimes FA additions could make quite a team.
i am actually quite afraid of the next owner only because I fear they may move the franchise.

Anticipated next game: 4/26 vs Royals
Old 04-16-2017, 05:16 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
i am actually quite afraid of the next owner only because I fear they may move the franchise.
Which city is going to give some new owner a sweetheart stadium deal and better gate than Chicago?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM
WSI High Priest

The thing is the Sox play in the 3rd largest market in the country but are in the middle of the pack in the value of the franchise, to me that is sad.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

I think it was closer to 12 million if I remember right.

Lip
I remember that it was right around 20 million.

Here's the proof.
https://www.forbes.com/teams/chicago-white-sox/

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-16-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Which city is going to give some new owner a sweetheart stadium deal and better gate than Chicago?
Charlotte
Old 04-16-2017, 06:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
Charlotte
To get a MLB team, Charlotte, San Antonio, Portland and other cities will throw all kinds of sweetheart deals at whoever the Sox owners are when the lease expires.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-16-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

I remember that it was right around 20 million.

Here's the proof.
https://www.forbes.com/teams/chicago-white-sox/
You are correct.

Lip
Old 04-16-2017, 06:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
To get a MLB team, Charlotte, San Antonio, Portland and other cities will throw all kinds of sweetheart deals at whoever the Sox owners are when the lease expires.
Those cities are not "major league towns" in my opinion. Neither is Salt Lake City.

The only potential city that could handle a big league franchise over the long haul is Montreal.

And until the issues in Oakland and Tampa are solved even if MLB wanted to the Sox aren't going anywhere. (Not that they are anyway...) But keep being worried over nothing if that's your pleasure.

Lip
Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Trade him, trade him, trade him. Get as much as you can for him. Rebuilding remember...

Lip
And the Tribune only paid a couple of million more for the Cubs. What did they get from Ricketts?

MODS: Please move this to the Sox Forbes thread.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-16-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Those cities are not "major league towns" in my opinion. Neither is Salt Lake City.

The only potential city that could handle a big league franchise over the long haul is Montreal.

And until the issues in Oakland and Tampa are solved even if MLB wanted to the Sox aren't going anywhere. (Not that they are anyway...) But keep being worried over nothing if that's your pleasure.

Lip
Lip, we're talking 12 years from now, not tomorrow. I posted last week that Chicago will drop to number 5 in metro population behind Houston and Dallas in 10 years, I forgot who the other city was. The Chicago metro area is now starting to lose population as more and more people are moving to the Sun Belt states. This will continue for decades to come so those cities you claim aren't MLB markets will be.
I don't want this to happen but you keep saying it will never happen, how do you know that. Our franchise is a almost a disgrace right now, bad attendance, horrible TV ratings, we are irelevent in Chicago and most baseball fans hardly know we exist, ask them when we last won a WS and they couldn't tell you except people from Houston.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Lip, we're talking 12 years from now, not tomorrow. I posted last week that Chicago will drop to number 5 in metro population behind Houston and Dallas in 10 years, I forgot who the other city was. The Chicago metro area is now starting to lose population as more and more people are moving to the Sun Belt states. This will continue for decades to come so those cities you claim aren't MLB markets will be.
I don't want this to happen but you keep saying it will never happen, how do you know that. Our franchise is a almost a disgrace right now, bad attendance, horrible TV ratings, we are irelevent in Chicago and most baseball fans hardly know we exist, ask them when we last won a WS and they couldn't tell you except people from Houston.
The White Sox drew crowds when they were winning in the mid naughts. All they can do on the Southside is put out a winning product.

If what you say comes true, the exodus continues, then all the franchises in this city suffer the consequences. Step one is to turn this franchise around. The rest of this mess is out of JR's hands.

I'd hate to see them leave.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-16-2017, 07:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
The White Sox drew crowds when they were winning in the mid naughts. All they can do on the Southside is put out a winning product.

If what you say comes true, the exodus continues, then all the franchises in this city suffer the consequences. Step one is to turn this franchise around. The rest of this mess is out of JR's hands.

I'd hate to see them leave.
The other Chicago sport franchises do not have another team in town to contend with, right now we are close to becoming the Chicago Cardinals trying to compete with the Bears back in the 40s and 50s. They moved to St. Louis in 1960.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The other Chicago sport franchises do not have another team in town to contend with, right now we are close to becoming the Chicago Cardinals trying to compete with the Bears back in the 40s and 50s. They moved to St. Louis in 1960.
All true but if the state is broke and the affluent leave then my guess is that any disposable income that is left chases other forms of entertainment.