White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,483
Default

Better outing for Giolito, but still not impressive:

5.2 IP ; 4 H, 3 ER; 2 HR; 3 BB; 8 So

ERA at 6.43 to start the season.


If I'd rank our future SP options (not in ML) as of this moment:

1) Kopech
2) Dunning
3) Lopez
4) Hansen
5) Fulmer
6) Giolito
  #77  
Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Better outing for Giolito, but still not impressive:

5.2 IP ; 4 H, 3 ER; 2 HR; 3 BB; 8 So

ERA at 6.43 to start the season.


If I'd rank our future SP options (not in ML) as of this moment:

1) Kopech
2) Dunning
3) Lopez
4) Hansen
5) Fulmer
6) Giolito
No offense but I personally think you are way off. Gio isn't so much working on results right now, but they are doing some stuff with his mechanics. That is going to mean a lot of bumps in the road. If the era sits in the 6's when we get to June, worry. Until then, let the kid work out the kinks.
__________________
  #78  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Better outing for Giolito, but still not impressive:

5.2 IP ; 4 H, 3 ER; 2 HR; 3 BB; 8 So

ERA at 6.43 to start the season.


If I'd rank our future SP options (not in ML) as of this moment:

1) Kopech
2) Dunning
3) Lopez
4) Hansen
5) Fulmer
6) Giolito
Hansen and Dunning are college pitchers in A ball, I'd wait until they move up to Adv-A/AA ball before taking their numbers too seriously. Nice to see their successes though.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #79  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Anyone know anything about Joel Booker or Mitch Roman at Kannapolis? They are both starting the season on fire.

Booker plays the outfield, is 23, and was a 22nd round pick in 2016. Tore up rookie ball at both levels last year and apparently has serious base stealing ability.

Roman is a SS, age 22, and was 12th round pick in 2016. He tore up Great Falls last year and is doing even better at Kannapolis this year.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them and whether they have a chance to continue this as they progress through the organization.
Not too much, they weren't highly regarded out of college.

Future Sox did a write up on Roman recently:

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...t-mitch-roman/

I would say there is little chance that they continue this level of success through the organization. Nice to see it though.
  #80  
Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
No offense but I personally think you are way off. Gio isn't so much working on results right now, but they are doing some stuff with his mechanics. That is going to mean a lot of bumps in the road. If the era sits in the 6's when we get to June, worry. Until then, let the kid work out the kinks.
Hope to be wrong, just concerned in the big drop in velocity.
  #81  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Better outing for Giolito, but still not impressive:

5.2 IP ; 4 H, 3 ER; 2 HR; 3 BB; 8 So

ERA at 6.43 to start the season.


If I'd rank our future SP options (not in ML) as of this moment:

1) Kopech
2) Dunning
3) Lopez
4) Hansen
5) Fulmer
6) Giolito
Outing would have looked better if Purke had stranded his inherited runners.
  #82  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Anyone know anything about Joel Booker or Mitch Roman at Kannapolis? They are both starting the season on fire.

Booker plays the outfield, is 23, and was a 22nd round pick in 2016. Tore up rookie ball at both levels last year and apparently has serious base stealing ability.

Roman is a SS, age 22, and was 12th round pick in 2016. He tore up Great Falls last year and is doing even better at Kannapolis this year.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them and whether they have a chance to continue this as they progress through the organization.
Future Sox had a nice writeup on Roman just a day ago. You can read the article here
  #83  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Not too much, they weren't highly regarded out of college.

Future Sox did a write up on Roman recently:

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...t-mitch-roman/

I would say there is little chance that they continue this level of success through the organization. Nice to see it though.
Thanks for the FutureSox link. Roman sounds like an interesting under-the-radar prospect. We'll see how he does as he advances.
  #84  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Outing would have looked better if Purke had stranded his inherited runners.
Purke did.

The line for Giolito was all his, 2 HRs. One solo to Bradley Jr and then a 2 run shot to someone else.
  #85  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,264
Default

Starters for 4/20:

Charlotte: Tyler Danish (1- 1, 2.25)
Birmingham: (Game 1): TBD
Birmingham (Game 2): Michael Kopech (0- 0, 3.38)
Winston Salem: Aron McRee (0- 1, 11.81)
Kannapolis: TBD (My guess is Yosmer Solorzano, 1- 1, 1.50)
  #86  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Hansen and Dunning are college pitchers in A ball, I'd wait until they move up to Adv-A/AA ball before taking their numbers too seriously. Nice to see their successes though.
Thinking on the upside there, that's how I'm rating.

No doubt Giolito and possibly Fulmer are at the top of being ML ready.

Dunning's control is off the charts, even if pitching at A Ball. That transfers over to all levels. Hansen on the other hand appears to have harnessed his control issues a bit, but his stuff is arguably as good as anyone's in the Farm.
  #87  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,483
Default

Moncada another HR, from the right side.

Real solid Gap power.

Kopech struggled down in Birmingham, but that defense sucks for him That team just sucks as a whole so far.

His line:
4.0IP 4H 4R 2ER 3BB 5Ks
  #88  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,264
Default

Starters for 4/21

Charlotte: Mike Pelfrey (0- 2, 7.50)
Birmingham: Thad Lowry (0- 1, 10.80)
Winston-Salem: Tanner Banks (2- 0, 1.35)
Kannapolis: Yosmer Solorzano (1- 1, 1.50)
  #89  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Moncada another HR, from the right side.

Real solid Gap power.

Kopech struggled down in Birmingham, but that defense sucks for him That team just sucks as a whole so far.

His line:
4.0IP 4H 4R 2ER 3BB 5Ks
Moncada had the HR, scored the first three runs for Charlotte, stole two bases... but then also made an ill-advised underhand throw to first after ranging to the SS side of second to flag down a ball. He was off the mark.

It reminds me that I am not enamored of the way Anderson often throws.

And yeah, that Birmingham team is really, really weak.
  #90  
Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,264
Default

Starters for 4/21

Charlotte: Reynaldo Lopez (0- 1, 5.02)
Birmingham: Matt Cooper (0- 0, 2.25)
Winston-Salem: Zach Thompson (1- 1, 2.77)
Kannapolis: Alec Hansen (1- 1, 3.68)
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.