White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2019, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Astros, Rockies also expressed interest in Encarnacion

Linky: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...carnacion.html

If these teams are looking for help at 1B, then Rick Hahn should have them on speed-dial. It looks like the Mariners were motivated mostly by shedding payroll, which allowed the Yankees to win the Encarnacion sweepstakes.

We can, and should, be able to work around the money issue. Send money with Abreu. Take bad money back. Get it done sooner rather than later to prevent other possible 1B solutions from materializing for those teams.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Linky: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...carnacion.html

If these teams are looking for help at 1B, then Rick Hahn should have them on speed-dial. It looks like the Mariners were motivated mostly by shedding payroll, which allowed the Yankees to win the Encarnacion sweepstakes.

We can, and should, be able to work around the money issue. Send money with Abreu. Take bad money back. Get it done sooner rather than later to prevent other possible 1B solutions from materializing for those teams.
Thereís zero reason to send money with Abreu. Itís not like we have to get rid of him because of his salary. Iíd rather keep Jose than take bad money back, unless it comes with at least one very legitimate pitching prospect. We do still need some established big leaguers on this team going forward, no matter how much everyone wants a bunch of 20 year olds manning the entire diamond.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
There’s zero reason to send money with Abreu. It’s not like we have to get rid of him because of his salary. I’d rather keep Jose than take bad money back, unless it comes with at least one very legitimate pitching prospect. We do still need some established big leaguers on this team going forward, no matter how much everyone wants a bunch of 20 year olds manning the entire diamond.
Use Abreu to get the pitching in here. Teams like the Astros have dealt good pitching prospects in the upper minors. Unfortunately, Abreu isn't leading the league in homers.
The Sox lose Abreu after this year anyway. And he'd be too expensive to keep. He's one of those guys like Avi - other teams can sign him cheaper than the Sox could.
The Sox aren't at the point of plugging holes with veterans, unless one wants more 78 win baseball.

Last edited by Tragg; 06-17-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:40 PM
WSI Personality

I'm not looking to trade Abreu straight up for some lottery A ball 19 year old pitcher that barely cracks the Sox top 30 prospects. He's worth more than that to the Sox. Now if you want to package him with Colome and or Bummer, and get a top flight pitching prospect, that makes sense.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Thereís zero reason to send money with Abreu. Itís not like we have to get rid of him because of his salary. Iíd rather keep Jose than take bad money back, unless it comes with at least one very legitimate pitching prospect. We do still need some established big leaguers on this team going forward, no matter how much everyone wants a bunch of 20 year olds manning the entire diamond.
If there is one good prospect I think we can get out of an Abreu trade, I think itís Derek Fisher. The Astros have Springer, Reddick, Brantley, and Marisnick all under team control for next year, with Kyle Tucker ready to leapfrog Fisher on the depth chart anyway. I would be willing to send cash, take back bad money, or some combination of both, to make that happen.

Fisher immediately takes a starting spot in RF upon arrival here. An outfield of Eloy/Robert/Fisher is really good for a long time. That is worth a whole lot more than a half-season or third-season of ďclubhouse leadershipĒ as the team winds down a rebuilding season.

I would offer Abreu and cash for Fisher and Yuli Gurrielís bad money. The Astros make a 150-point OPS upgrade for 2019 at no financial cost, and they shed $8.4 million of bad payroll for 2020. In exchange, they give up four future seasons of an extremely high-upside, top-100-type talent.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I'm not looking to trade Abreu straight up for some lottery A ball 19 year old pitcher that barely cracks the Sox top 30 prospects. He's worth more than that to the Sox. Now if you want to package him with Colome and or Bummer, and get a top flight pitching prospect, that makes sense.
I think the return on Encarnacion suffered because of the Mariners insisting on financial relief.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I think the return on Encarnacion suffered because of the Mariners insisting on financial relief.
Still, can't imagine Seattle getting that interesting of a piece back even if they included a lot more money. First basemen that are over 30 have so little trade value these days, regardless of how well they are playing.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Still, can't imagine Seattle getting that interesting of a piece back even if they included a lot more money. First basemen that are over 30 have so little trade value these days, regardless of how well they are playing.
It depends on the team getting the financial relief. The Yankees are already well above the luxury tax limit. The Astros are not, but adding Abreu and his entire 2019 salary would impair their ability to get a starter and stay under the tax line.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

You know if the Sox want Abreu in 2020 they can sign him as a free agent this winter. No reason not to trade him if that's your concern. Nobody who gets Abreu as a rental for down the stretch is going to sign him to an extension during the season.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-18-2019, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
You know if the Sox want Abreu in 2020 they can sign him as a free agent this winter. No reason not to trade him if that's your concern. Nobody who gets Abreu as a rental for down the stretch is going to sign him to an extension during the season.
I donít know why this concept is so hard to grasp.

If Abreu stays, he files for free agency in November. If Abreu gets traded, he files for free agency in November. That outcome is completely unaffected by whether or not the White Sox trade him beforehand.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I donít know why this concept is so hard to grasp.

If Abreu stays, he files for free agency in November. If Abreu gets traded, he files for free agency in November. That outcome is completely unaffected by whether or not the White Sox trade him beforehand.
If you trade Abreu, youíre not likely to get much more than a ďCoop will fix himď AAA reclamation project, or an A ball lottery ticket.

Youíll also get salary relief, but you will lose the months of August through November to negotiate an extension with Abreu. Thereís a very real chance he either signs with the new team to which heía traded, or another team that offseason. Then what do we do for first base in 2020? Alonso?

If you can get a Top 100 prospect for Abreu, or a Top 40 by packaging Abreu and Colome, then sure, but do we really think thatís realistic?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

No team that trades for Abreu is going to sign him in-season. I donít see the White Sox signing him in-season, either. That almost never happens.

I would like to see them do what big-boy teams do and get a better prospect instead of insisting on 2019 salary relief.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
No team that trades for Abreu is going to sign him in-season. I donít see the White Sox signing him in-season, either. That almost never happens.

I would like to see them do what big-boy teams do and get a better prospect instead of insisting on 2019 salary relief.
Amen.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Ok, what kind of prospect do you think it is reasonable to acquire, if the Sox were to pay Abreuís full remaining salary? Itís nice to speak in hypotheticals, but it would be better to have a specific realistic prospect target.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

If you trade Abreu now it will give Collins and others more at bats. No reason at all not to trade Abreu.