Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Ever since I joined my season ticket group, I've been sitting behind netting in section 130. It doesn't obstruct my view at all. Mrs FJ likes it because she doesn't want to get clocked in the head by a 99 mph line drive foul ball.

So I echo the sentiment of thomas35forever for those of you who will not attend games because of this decision. We'll miss you.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L

Aug 13 (2) W

Next Game Aug 26
Old 06-19-2019, 12:15 AM
WSI Regular

The Yankees, Boston, and the Dodgers won't even think about adding the netting. This reminds me of the Sox decision to have a moat between the outfield wall and the stands. None of the newer ballparks followed suit. The Yankees, Orioles etc. They don't care if their is fan interference, or security concerns. The outfield fans are right on top of the action. They deal with the rest. The Sox say they are worried about the fans; they are worried about lawsuits......
Old 06-19-2019, 02:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

The purist in me is a little sad, but I get it.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis11 View Post
The Yankees, Boston, and the Dodgers won't even think about adding the netting. This reminds me of the Sox decision to have a moat between the outfield wall and the stands. None of the newer ballparks followed suit. The Yankees, Orioles etc. They don't care if their is fan interference, or security concerns. The outfield fans are right on top of the action. They deal with the rest. The Sox say they are worried about the fans; they are worried about lawsuits......
And you know this how, exactly?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM
WSI Personality

a few unintended consequences of this could be

+ you will have less fan interference with balls that are going toward the seats

- you will have less players flipping balls or handing kids balls in the stands

+- players can dive less into the stands to try and reach a foul ball
Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkosher View Post
a few unintended consequences of this could be

+ you will have less fan interference with balls that are going toward the seats

- you will have less players flipping balls or handing kids balls in the stands

+- players can dive less into the stands to try and reach a foul ball
I actually think players will still flip the ball into the stands, it's just more likely that kids in row 10 get a ball rather than kids in row 2.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I actually think players will still flip the ball into the stands, it's just more likely that kids in row 10 get a ball rather than kids in row 2.
They already do this in sections of the park already covered by the netting.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Agreed. To build and keep interest in the game, kids have to attend games. However, they won't attend games if parents fear for their safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
First I agree with Kittle, this is a bad idea and a knee jerk reaction to the problem. It also ignores the fact that the person who got hurt recently was a young girl. You think she was on her smart phone? Kids don't pay attention to every second of game action. Heck, neither do adults even when they aren't on their smart phone, they might be chatting with the person beside them which might mean they turn their head away from the action depending on where that other person is sitting in relation to home plate. Or they are eating or thinking about work for a few seconds or day dreaming or any of the other numerous things people do when at the ballpark at times.

Ideally every single person would be glued to the edge of their seat hanging on every pitch, but it just isn't realistic and anything the team can do to make that a safer experience is for the best.
I was one of those people, including glove in hand, when I was a kid. I haven't been to an MLB game in years, for various reasons, but I suspect I still would be glued to my seat and hanging on every pitch.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 AM
WSI Personality

I occasionally think about getting tickets behind the netting, and it always gives me pause. And then I get them and settle in for the game and donít even notice the net and wonder why I clutch so hard on sitting there. You donít even notice the net after a while. People will adjust.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Being able to stay focused on the game and having the reaction time to get out of the way of a 102 mph line drive are two different skills. Especially for the very young and the very old.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Yep-

For me- this makes the Club Level seats the best seats in the house- great, clear view of the action.

I do find the netting a bit distracting- I would think over time there should be the ability to have netting that is almost invisible to the naked eye- but just speculating.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've only sat behind the nets at a game last year at Camden Yards, and at first I was annoyed by it but as the game when on I didn't even notice it.

I've also been to a game at Sox park were I tracked a liner coming directly to me, stood up and was ready for it and it dipped last minute and nailed me in the arm. Ouch.

The nets are there for a reason, like someone said earlier in this thread people will complain and in a few years it won't even be thought twice about.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 AM
WSI High Priest

All well and good until a kid in an unprotected seat the net doesn't cover gets nailed and this starts again. Like a kid in the outfield seats sets up to catch a Palka line drive HR, whiffs, and takes it in the face. Where is Daniel anyway?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
All well and good until a kid in an unprotected seat the net doesn't cover gets nailed and this starts again. Like a kid in the outfield seats sets up to catch a Palka line drive HR, whiffs, and takes it in the face. Where is Daniel anyway?
I think it's far less likely to happen with a home run because it has to travel at least 325 feet, so even if it is traveling 110 mph off the bat, it will have slowed down a bit by the time it reaches the stands. That also gives fans more time to react.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I've only sat behind the nets at a game last year at Camden Yards, and at first I was annoyed by it but as the game when on I didn't even notice it.

I've also been to a game at Sox park were I tracked a liner coming directly to me, stood up and was ready for it and it dipped last minute and nailed me in the arm. Ouch.

The nets are there for a reason, like someone said earlier in this thread people will complain and in a few years it won't even be thought twice about.
Spot on. Does anyone even notice the netting at hockey games anymore? It's been there since about 2005 and people made a stink when it happened, but it happened largely in response to a girl getting killed by a puck.