White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2018, 09:12 PM
WSI Guru

Default 2019 free agency

Was listening to MLB Network Radio earlier, and they mentioned how the Sox, whom they feel aren't far away from being the second-best team in the Central, will have money to spend in the offseason. Veteran names like Nelson Cruz, Charlie Morton and J.A. Happ were thrown around.

All the above names are in their mid-30s and above, but that was the whole point. This team needs to add veterans in free agency if it wants to compete soon. As nice as it is to see all the projected rosters for a few years from now, you're kidding yourself if you think the entire starting lineup and pitching staff in 2021 will entirely be made up of guys on the major league roster now and guys currently in the system. Every contender seeks outside help, especially from guys who have been around for awhile, and the Sox will be no exception.

The three players listed would all be intriguing options. Cruz continues to put up impressive power numbers for his age, Morton just won a ring and Happ is a Northwestern guy. The point is Abreu can't lead all these kids by himself, and someone needs to fill the veteran void in the rotation when Shields leaves. I'm not saying go after everyone listed, but I'll settle for one of them. The Sox need to spend money to improve, and the time is fast approaching when they can't afford to buy low as they have the past two offseasons.

Quite simply, time to **** or get off the pot.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 PM
WSI High Priest

I want nothing to do with any of those three players. In fact, Iíll do you one better and say that I still want Abreu traded before the 2019 season.

If they are worried about ďleadership,Ē then they can go get a big-time manager.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Hard pass on all 3 of those guys. The time to shop for FAs will come but I donít see any reason to pick up a mid-30s player for next season.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Hard pass on all 3 of those guys. The time to shop for FAs will come but I donít see any reason to pick up a mid-30s player for next season.
Nolan Arenado after 2019 makes sense. He can play third for a few years, and then can slide over to first base when Abreu ages out if Burger blossoms or if Moncada gets moved to 3B to make room for Madrigal at 2B.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Agreed. The whole concept sounds bad.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-25-2018, 09:32 AM
WSI High Priest

The Sox will eventually have to fill several roster holes with players of this caliber. I don't think they need to do it in 2019.

They definitely should be shopping around for guys to sign to 1 year deals and flip at the deadline.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-25-2018, 11:58 AM
WSI Personality

Boston has Mitch Moreland, JD Martinez, David Price and Rick Porcello (Porcello wasn't a FA, but they traded a big time player to get him).

The 2017 Dodgers had Turner, Rich Hill, Maeda, Puig, McCarthy

The 2016 Cubs had Lester, Fowler, Heyward, Zobrist, Lackey, Hammel

If you think this isn't happening with some FAs starting on the the team, you're crazy. Some of them (Moreland, Puig, Heyward, Hammel, McCarthy) might not even be that good.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:12 PM
WSI Personality

I can't really see the point in those three FAs, though. I sure wish we would have signed Cruz back in 2015, but he's going to be 38 this time around.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan
Boston has Mitch Moreland, JD Martinez, David Price and Rick Porcello (Porcello wasn't a FA, but they traded a big time player to get him).

The 2017 Dodgers had Turner, Rich Hill, Maeda, Puig, McCarthy

The 2016 Cubs had Lester, Fowler, Heyward, Zobrist, Lackey, Hammel

If you think this isn't happening with some FAs starting on the the team, you're crazy. Some of them (Moreland, Puig, Heyward, Hammel, McCarthy) might not even be that good.
It’s not that I think it’s happening without free agents, it’s that I think it’s not happening next year even with free agents.

No reason to buy appliances and furniture while the house is still under construction...
Old 08-25-2018, 01:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Itís not that I think itís happening without free agents, itís that I think itís not happening next year even with free agents.

No reason to buy appliances and furniture while the house is still under construction...
Unless you can get an appliance like Manny Machado or Bryce Harper, those appliances are worth keeping in lock-up until the construction is finished.

Same with Arenado...
Old 08-25-2018, 02:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814
Unless you can get an appliance like Manny Machado or Bryce Harper, those appliances are worth keeping in lock-up until the construction is finished.

Same with Arenado...
I donít foresee this front office shopping for a Viking built-in. They are more likely to order parts and try to fix the forty-year-old avocado-colored Frigidaire.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Mid 30s seems a bit too old, if we want some leadership late 20s works for me.
Abreu is a guy a who should be kept around if we need leaders, I don't think any of us know how old he really is but if he had stayed healthy this year he would have stayed close to his averages in the 4 years he's been with the Sox. He is still productive and should be the guy who leads by his play on the field and his classiness off the field.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-25-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:27 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Mid 30s seems a bit too old, if we want some leadership late 20s works for me.
Abreu is a guy a who should be kept around if we need leaders, I don't think any of us know how old he really is but if he had stayed healthy this year he would have stayed close to his averages in the 4 years he's been with the Sox. He is still productive and should be the guy who leads by his play on the field and his classiness off the field.

Do you actually know if hes a leader?

All I know is he hasnt done anything for moncada so far and I dont understand how someone can be a leader if most of the players cant understand whats he saying.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post

All I know is he hasnt done anything for moncada so far and I dont understand how someone can be a leader if most of the players cant understand whats he saying.
Thereís a lot more to leadership than what you say. In a lot of cases thatís the least important part.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 08-25-2018, 06:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post

He's a leader as much as anyone else on the team.
After 5 years in Chicago I'm sure he has a pretty good understanding of the Engish language, sometimes I think some of the Latino players are playing games with the media when being interviewed.
As far as Moncada, maybe he just isn't as good as we were all led to believe.