White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Apples and oranges comparison. Eloy’s signing bonus was ten cents on the dollar compared to Robert’s. Unless you sign a similar Eloy-type extension, absolutely wait until you are free and clear of that 172-day magic number. I’m OK with waiting until mid-April. I’m also fine with waiting until mid-May if he lights AAA on fire and gets a September cup of coffee to get all the first-game hoopla out of the way.
While I agree, I’m not sure how Hahn is going to explain it this time if Robert continues to destroy AAA pitching. With Eloy you could point to his defense. With Robert the only box left to check is to still be in the minors on tax day.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Huh? What did they do wrong? They said his defense needed work. Right now a dozen of WSIers are agreeing with that assessment. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=149027 They weren't lying.
They actually never said that, they just said that he still had things to work on and but they weren’t going to go into any detail about what those things were. If they said publicly that they wanted him to work on his defense there likely wouldn’t have been the same backlash.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
They actually never said that, they just said that he still had things to work on and but they weren’t going to go into any detail about what those things were. If they said publicly that they wanted him to work on his defense there likely wouldn’t have been the same backlash.
Hahn was actually asked about it several times. I heard an interview (I don’t remember which one; I listen to several Sox podcasts) in which Hahn did acknowledge it was his defense they wanted him to improve. There was then speculation that it was about his throwing arm. So I tried to suggest (through Twitter) that a reporter should ask the Sox directly what Aaron Rowand would be doing individually with Eloy to increase his throwing distance and accuracy.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Just watched both Robert HRs. Those would have been HRs in any other minor or major league ballpark; they were not “cheap Charlotte” homers.

I agree that Hahn is probably going to have a very difficult time concocting and explaining a legitimate reason for keeping Robert in the minors for Opening Day 2020.

In fact, if the Sox decide have Robert play in the AFL this year, it will be a legitimate question for us to ask, “Since he owned the AFL last year; why not let him get ABs against MLB pitching during September?”
Old 07-12-2019, 07:49 AM
WSI Personality

Everybody knows it's because of the CBA. Everyone knows the teams are doing it for service time and nothing more. Watching GM's twist and turn and take heat because of service time manipulation has gotten stale; I completely get why Hahn has to do it. And I get why players get pissed off because of it but it's quite literally what they bargained for. Like so many other unions, the MLBPA's concessions in negotiations were mostly made for their younger members as long as the older members got to keep theirs. The "Screw the young, I got mine" mentality.

If Robert keeps it up, screw service time and bring him up. Don't let what happened with Bryant and the Cubs happen here. It would go a long way to show faith in your best young players.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Huh? What did they do wrong? They said his defense needed work. Right now a dozen of WSIers are agreeing with that assessment. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=149027 They weren't lying.

As is my current contention, and was back then, he's not going to get much better in left if at all given the massive amount of development time he's had there, and is more likely to get worse as his body fills out. Eloy coming up last year or this had no effect on the level of defense he plays at this level.

But with Robert, they can't even point to bad defense and say "improve that". And Hahn likes to talk. So it should be interesting what excuse he makes up this time.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
As is my current contention, and was back then, he's not going to get much better in left if at all given the massive amount of development time he's had there, and is more likely to get worse as his body fills out. Eloy coming up last year or this had no effect on the level of defense he plays at this level.

But with Robert, they can't even point to bad defense and say "improve that". And Hahn likes to talk. So it should be interesting what excuse he makes up this time.
I don't think it will be interesting. I think it will be monotonous, as it will be more of the same we've been hearing from every GM in this situation.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
While I agree, I’m not sure how Hahn is going to explain it this time if Robert continues to destroy AAA pitching. With Eloy you could point to his defense. With Robert the only box left to check is to still be in the minors on tax day.
Just use the low number of overall minor league plate appearances as the excuse. Or don’t even give an excuse. Just say “We don’t think he’s ready yet. Next question.”
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And the rest of the minor league summaries:

Kannapolis lost 15-7

Vaughn 3/5 2B 2 R
Destino 3/5 4 RBI
Bush 0/4

Winston Salem won 8-5 rain shortened

Frost 1/3 2B BB R
Walker 1/2 2B R 2 RBI BB

Pikington 5.0 IP 6 H 2 BB 3 ER 5 K Box score says he only threw 40 pitches but I assume that's a mistake. very tough to throw that few pitches with that many innings, runs walks and K.

Charlotte won 15-12

Robert had one more AB and did not reach base. 3/5 2 HR 2 R 7 RBI
Mercedez 2/4 BB 3 R
Mendick 4/5 2B 3 R

Roach started and got shelled
Fulmer 1.2 IP 1 H HR 1 R 1 BB 1 K
Foster 1.0 IP 1 H 2 K 0 R He was awarded the W and pitched after Fulmer who had a hold Go figure.
Viera 1.0 IP 2 H 1 R 0 ER 1 K
I wonder how Luis Robert will do with the juiced ball in AAA?

Nice to see Vaughn off and running at Kannapolis. Barring an injury or unexpected slump, I expect he'll be in W-S before long. Maybe at this point next year, he'll be the one moving up to AAA.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but I'm still dreaming of adding Robert, Madrigal, and Vaughn to the major league lineup before long to go along with Moncada, Anderson, and Eloy.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I wonder how Luis Robert will do with the juiced ball in AAA?
I can't wait for Madrigal to be promoted to AAA so he can start going 5-for-3 or 5-for-2 every night.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Knights game on NBCSN Sunday night- DVR is set!
Old 07-12-2019, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

I hope the Sox don't play with service time with Robert. They didn't with Kopech or Moncada. The signed Eloy to deflect the service time.

Mike Trout made a point to say he was willing to sign a long term extension with the Angels because they didn't play with service time and called him up when he was ready. More clubs should get in the habit of doing this and it would go a long ways in players feeling less like they are getting screwed!
Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 PM
WSI Personality

In other news, Nick Madrigal struck out yesterday, his third K since joining the Barons. Which is one more than the number of 2-HR games that Robert has had in his 2019 team debuts.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In other news, Nick Madrigal struck out yesterday, his third K since joining the Barons. Which is one more than the number of 2-HR games that Robert has had in his 2019 team debuts.
I was looking up Madrigal's stats and it looks like he currently has a 15-game hitting streak. In 27 games since moving up to AA, I only see one game (June 12) where he failed to reach based. ....at least that's the only game I see in his game logs where he didn't either get a hit, walk, or score a run.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
I hope the Sox don't play with service time with Robert. They didn't with Kopech or Moncada. The signed Eloy to deflect the service time.

Mike Trout made a point to say he was willing to sign a long term extension with the Angels because they didn't play with service time and called him up when he was ready. More clubs should get in the habit of doing this and it would go a long ways in players feeling less like they are getting screwed!
Screwed? In baseball with money like Manna? If anyone is getting screwed it's the older players with a body of work behind them.

BTW, Mike Trout also went down when he wasn't ready. I don't remember Trout crying about it from behind closed doors.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Closed Thread