GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The amount of stolen bases in baseball is about half of what it was about 30 years ago. Again, I wonder what team finished last in caught stealing in 2017.....

The idea that White Sox are less "fundamental" than other teams in MLB is unfounded. If you look at watch the other 29 teams play and you will see plenty of missed cut-off men, base running blunders, poor fielding, etc.
And their fundamentals (backing up defensive plays for example) were markedly better this past season.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fangraphs has a pretty good write-up and generally positive about the move:

Quote:
In a micro sense, the Castillo contract carries very little downside. Contract crowdsourcing data produced a $24 million average and $18 million mediate estimate for Castillo. Cameron himself predicted $20 million. At two years and $15 million, the White Sox got Castillo for less than all three. If he’s a 1 WAR player — a bar he’s cleared in six consecutive seasons — then the White Sox can’t go wrong. And if he turns out to be really good, that $8 million club option for 2020 will be a pittance.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
If Renteria wants him that's fine. I trust Renteria. But for someone to say that Smith and Narvaez are AAAA types ('AAAA'?) failed to watch games last year. Both played very well. Well above all expectations.

That said, by all means continue with your anecdotal argument against those two.
I think both Smith and Narvaez are regression candidates. What skills do they bring that lead you to believe they are going to stick at the major league level over the long haul? Narvaez has a good batting eye, but he's mediocre or subpar in every other area. Smith, well, I'd say he's mediocre or subpar across the board.

The Sox had precious little depth at catcher. I didn't think they would make a move to bring in a veteran, but I'm glad they did.

$15M is a drop in the bucket in modern baseball. I'd rather see those dollars go to a veteran catcher than into JR's pocket.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-04-2017, 02:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The amount of stolen bases in baseball is about half of what it was about 30 years ago. Again, I wonder what team finished last in caught stealing in 2017.....
Here you go.

Top teams in SB% success:
NYY, CLE, WSH, ARZ, BOS

Bottom 5:
COL, PIT, DET, CHC, TOR

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-04-2017, 02:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I think both Smith and Narvaez are regression candidates. What skills do they bring that lead you to believe they are going to stick at the major league level over the long haul? Narvaez has a good batting eye, but he's mediocre or subpar in every other area. Smith, well, I'd say he's mediocre or subpar across the board.
Amen.

Steamer projections for 2018:

Smith: 251/303/378; 3 HR, 13 RBI (125 PA)
Narvaez: 256/335/349; 2 HR, 14 RBI (160 PA)

Yucky.

Castillo: 246/309/429; 15 HR, 45 RBI (362 PA)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Here you go.

Top teams in SB% success:
NYY, CLE, WSH, ARZ, BOS

Bottom 5:
COL, PIT, DET, CHC, TOR
Defensive SB%.....
Old 12-04-2017, 04:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
The idea that White Sox are less "fundamental" than other teams in MLB is unfounded. If you look at watch the other 29 teams play and you will see plenty of missed cut-off men, base running blunders, poor fielding, etc.
If you win 90+ games a year you can be bad defensively, make stupid base running blunders, not be able to execute a bunt or a hit and run and not be able to properly conduct a run down.

When you have a decade like the Sox have had you don't have that luxury or slack.

Fundamentals, kids...it's not that hard of a concept to grasp. They win you close games.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Defensive SB%.....
Here you go.

The World Champs were last.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
If you win 90+ games a year you can be bad defensively, make stupid base running blunders, not be able to execute a bunt or a hit and run and not be able to properly conduct a run down.
But doesn't it go hand in hand that if you do all those things, you won't win 90+ games a year?
Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Didn't Galileo recant when he was shown the instruments of torture? What might be the instrument of torture in this case, seeing a game that James Shields starts?
Old 12-04-2017, 05:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Didn't Galileo recant when he was shown the instruments of torture? What might be the instrument of torture in this case, seeing a game that James Shields starts?
After Shields made his arm angle adjustment he actually was pretty effective. He's a fine number 5 going into next season.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Galileo was in the minority about heliocentrism so being in the minority may not be so bad.
Galileo's detractors didn't have actual facts to back them up though.

Don Cooper is one of the best pitching coaches in the game... even if he isn't perfect. And I'll grant you the caught stealing issue as that has been a constant throughout his tenure. On the other hand we really haven't had any catchers that were particularly good at throwing runners out during that time either... and the problem extends back to the Nardi Contraras era as well.

Meanwhile, the White Sox had several pitchers over perform their histories last year and a few that really seemed to figure it out. I suppose that could all be random happenstance but I'm going to go with it being a pitching coach that knows what he is doing and has a track record of helping pitchers make the most out of their talent.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
I suppose that could all be random happenstance but I'm going to go with it being a pitching coach that knows what he is doing and has a track record of helping pitchers make the most out of their talent.
Sale, Q & Rodon: checkmate.

From 2014 through 2016 Sale & Q threw more pitches each passing year five (Q takes the count down a tad in 2016) out of six years.

All three have a positive air out to ground out ratio in a launching pad.

Rodon, at this point grades out as is incomplete: he's fighting the injury bug.

He's done his time; reward him and kick him upstairs.

It time for new blood and new philosophies.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 12-04-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Here you go.

The World Champs were last.
They did? Who woulda thunk it?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
All 30 teams have moments when they struggle with the above concepts. The point is the Sox are in no more need of "fundamentals" than the other teams. What they really need is better players and hopefully this rebuild will produce some.

I still haven't seen a compelling reason why the Sox should be held to the coals for signing Castillo. Seems like a solid signing at reasonable $$$ while no worthwhile prospects will be affected.