White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
While Robert's age 18 year old season was impressive, he only played 53 games. Abreu had great seasons too at age 18 and on, also playing 30 more games each year pretty much.

I'm very excited for him too, but no need to rush him, and let's see what he can do in A or A+.
I am not as familiar with Robert's game as others here, but this tends to be my view. If he's absolutely destroying the league in May, then bring him up to AA and if he is putting up the kind of numbers Jimenez did there, then maybe you start thinking about adding him to the 40-man roster and calling him up.

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I am not as familiar with Robert's game as others here, but this tends to be my view. If he's absolutely destroying the league in May, then bring him up to AA and if he is putting up the kind of numbers Jimenez did there, then maybe you start thinking about adding him to the 40-man roster and calling him up.
There is NO rush- in addition to letting the kid get adjusted to life in U.S. and ensuring a steady, solid development process- we don't want his service time clock to start sooner than required- I see the him coming up, late 2019, once he's past Super 2 type status/timing. 22 yo in late 2019- still young for a major league debut.
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

I am buying the hype or Robert for two reasons: 1. He is toolsy as ****, and literally projects plus in almost every category. 2. He LOOKS like a great hitter. His swing is pure.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
There is NO rush- in addition to letting the kid get adjusted to life in U.S. and ensuring a steady, solid development process- we don't want his service time clock to start sooner than required- I see the him coming up, late 2019, once he's past Super 2 type status/timing. 22 yo in late 2019- still young for a major league debut.
Agree 100%. Getting adjusted to the USA is harder than many people think. He is coming from a country that is different than the USA in many ways, I'm not just talking the political differences. Culture and economics are completely different. Give him time to process what it is like up here in the USA and get used to American baseball. No need to rush him up, none of us are cancelling our vacation and wedding plans in October, 2018.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Agree 100%. Getting adjusted to the USA is harder than many people think. He is coming from a country that is different than the USA in many ways, I'm not just talking the political differences. Culture and economics are completely different. Give him time to process what it is like up here in the USA and get used to American baseball. No need to rush him up, none of us are cancelling our vacation and wedding plans in October, 2018.
Right. The old Sox would have made the error of rushing him. No need. Take your time. You have Jimenez and Kopech who will push the issue this year. Let them.

Robert can come in with Collins, Cease, Burger, and whomever we pick first his year.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Right. The old Sox would have made the error of rushing him. No need. Take your time. You have Jimenez and Kopech who will push the issue this year. Let them.

Robert can come in with Collins, Cease, Burger, and whomever we pick first his year.
I agree. 2018 likely is going to be a year where the White Sox don't compete, and will be used for the development of Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, and possibly Fulmer. There is no need immediate need to rush anyone.

Risk

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Old 11-03-2017, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

The White Sox better compete in 2018.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Not happening. They'll play hard but not win a lot of games.

2019 at the earliest for a winning season, my personal guess is 2020.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Why.....?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

I want them to play hard and grow as as a team. I want them striving for success. I want their goal to be outplaying their opposition.

I other words I want them to compete.

Whether that leads to a playoff appearance we will see.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 11-04-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I want them to play hard and grow as as a team. I want them striving for success. I want their goal to be outplaying their opposition.

I other words I want them to compete.

Whether that leads to a playoff appearance we will see.
You realize of course that is a different definition of "compete" than was being used here... as evidenced by your last statement.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They might hang around .500 for a while- prob end up in the 70-75 wins area, slight improvement from this season.

This team played .491 ball after the trade deadline (Aug/Sept), and 2018 will be basically be the same team with whatever FA pitching Hahn decides to add in the offseason.

Anderson playing a full season like he did in Aug/Sept, a full season of Moncada, maybe Jimenez coming up in the 2nd half-

A full season of Giolito, Lopez and the "reinvented" Shields- the biggest variable is how the Sox address the bullpen issue and how Rodon recovers.

Last edited by TomBradley72; 11-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
You realize of course that is a different definition of "compete" than was being used here... as evidenced by your last statement.
I do.