White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
As I watch the Astros play in this World Series, I can't help but dream that this is where the Sox will be in a few years - playing exciting playoff baseball with a bunch of home-grown talent and one win away from a World Series title.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen by any means, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the next few seasons play out for our team.
Sports Illustrated agrees with you. In a recent follow up to their 2014 article where they said the 92 loss Astros would win the 2017 World Series, they said the White Sox are the current team that looks like it will do what the Astros are doing right now given the approach the Sox have taken to rebuilding.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm predicting Robert at AA and on major league team by end of August. This guy is a monster, should be Sox #1 prospect imo.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I'm predicting Robert at AA and on major league team by end of August. This guy is a monster, should be Sox #1 prospect imo.
He turns 21 next August, not sure they want/need to rush him through 4 levels to the majors- especially in his first year of living in the U.S.

I think they start him at Kanny- and let him methodically climb the ladder level by level to the majors- 2nd half 2019 arrival in Chicago (earliest).
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 11-01-2017, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
He turns 21 next August, not sure they want/need to rush him through 4 levels to the majors- especially in his first year of living in the U.S.

I think they start him at Kanny- and let him methodically climb the ladder level by level to the majors- 2nd half 2019 arrival in Chicago (earliest).
This. I see him making A+ or AA by the end of the year, with a decent shot of making the team out of ST in 2019. Then again, super stars have a way of, as Hahn says, forcing the issue.

But let's see what the kid can do low minors first, hm? If he crushes the competition--which his talent level says he might--then maybe we do see him sooner. I'd still like to be a bit more patient, especially since he's still unproven at the minor levels. Also, getting him up here by 2019 or 2020 fits more into the Sox's potential window, anyway.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
While he is a phenomenal talent, he's #3 behind Jiminez and Kopech. He's destined for A ball in 2018 with a lot to prove.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

There's little need for development when you are already major league caliber. Look at history of similar players. He already has plate discipline that only a few can match.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
While he is a phenomenal talent, he's #3 behind Jiminez and Kopech.
Right, but I'd argue that is inaccuratd since Robert is vastly superior in every way save power, in which they are comparable. Its just analysts hedging their bets, much like when Abreu was signed by Sox. If he had been playing in Birmingham this year, I have no doubt he'd be top rated, possibly top in baseball. When you are one of the best in the world, it doesn't matter where you played. This is a Griffey/Arod level player.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
This. I see him making A+ or AA by the end of the year, with a decent shot of making the team out of ST in 2019. Then again, super stars have a way of, as Hahn says, forcing the issue.

But let's see what the kid can do low minors first, hm? If he crushes the competition--which his talent level says he might--then maybe we do see him sooner. I'd still like to be a bit more patient, especially since he's still unproven at the minor levels. Also, getting him up here by 2019 or 2020 fits more into the Sox's potential window, anyway.
Kanny and WS are about 50 minutes apart- let him set up shop somewhere in between and settle in to life in the U.S. I'll be thrilled if he's in Birmingham by the end of 2018, would set him up for a late 2019 call up (age 22) after finishing up in AA and a stop in Charlotte.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hahn has said that they are bringing Robert to spring training and that depending on what he does there they will start him either at A or A+. He also made it clear he expects him to move up one or two levels during the year.

My guess is that he starts at A+ and moves up to AA at some point during the year. If he eats up AA then maybe he finishes with a week or two at AAA before the end of the season. Remember that the Cuban league is generally considered to be the equivalent of the High-A leagues here in the states.

I expect him in Chicago sometime in 2019, perhaps right out of spring training as DonnieDarko suggests but, more likely it seems to me, mid-year after letting him play half a season at AAA.

But yeah, I agree with the rankings having Eloy and Kopech 1 & 2 based on results and Robert #3 based on projection. We haven't yet seen that he is as good as they say he is.

Last edited by Andrew C White; 11-01-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Right, but I'd argue that is inaccuratd since Robert is vastly superior in every way save power, in which they are comparable. Its just analysts hedging their bets, much like when Abreu was signed by Sox. If he had been playing in Birmingham this year, I have no doubt he'd be top rated, possibly top in baseball. When you are one of the best in the world, it doesn't matter where you played. This is a Griffey/Arod level player.
I am extremely high on Roberts, but THAT high? What makes you believe he has Griffey or Arod potential?

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post

Remember that the Cuban league is generally considered to be the equivalent of the High-A leagues here in the states.
Which supports the notion he should be at AA. He already was a dominant player in CSN at age 18, surely he can handle AA two years later. Took Abreu five years to match the numbers Robert put up there.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I am extremely high on Roberts, but THAT high? What makes you believe he has Griffey or Arod potential?
He's a plus player in every facet, save plate discipline, where he is Frank Thomas level. He is can't miss if there ever was one. Look at his video, or better listen, because there aren't very many who produce a crack of the bat like that. Sounds like a gun shot. He moves through the OF like Griffey. Like Frank, I doubt he plays a game in Charlotte. Just my predictions... I've got to be right sooner or later

Last edited by TheVulture; 11-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He's a plus player in every facet, save plate discipline, where he is Frank Thomas level. He is can't miss if there ever was one. Look at his video, or better listen, because there aren't very many who produce a crack of the bat like that. Sounds like a gun shot. He moves through the OF like Griffey. Like Frank, I doubt he plays a game in Charlotte. Just my predictions... I've got to be right sooner or later
It's hard to connect a .310 batting average in the Dominican League with him somehow already being the equivalent of a AA talent.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Which supports the notion he should be at AA. He already was a dominant player in CSN at age 18, surely he can handle AA two years later. Took Abreu five years to match the numbers Robert put up there.

While Robert's age 18 year old season was impressive, he only played 53 games. Abreu had great seasons too at age 18 and on, also playing 30 more games each year pretty much.

I'm very excited for him too, but no need to rush him, and let's see what he can do in A or A+.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Like the others, I too, am very high on Robert. I expect him to arrive in Chicago in 2019 and to star alongside Moncada and Jiminez for many years to come.

Based on his Cuban numbers, I expect he will handle A+ and move to AA without a problem this year. But let's be clear that it isn't two years later. He played an incomplete season in Cuba in 2016, a grand total of 69 games (hitting a very impressive .401/.526/.687 in only 53 games in Serie Nacional but only .286/.319/.397 in the Canadian-American league which he felt was a step up in competition and I had never previously heard of) and then only 28 games in the Dominican league for the Sox this year, hitting .310/.491/.536 against a bunch of kids most of whom won't ever make it to stateside rookie leagues let alone A+ or AA.

Robert's numbers are very impressive but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The White Sox will be quite right to start him out in one of the A-ball leagues and move him based on his ability to handle the higher competition. I expect he will, the White Sox expect he will, but until he does, he hasn't. He remains a largely unknown and unproven talent.

Roberts:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=robert001lui

Abreu:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=abreu-009jos

While Robert had a very impressive slash line in 2016, if you look at the totality of numbers through the first 700 or plate appearances (roughly age 18 for both) you will see that Abreu outperformed Robert in a number of categories including playing a full (Cuban) season which Robert has not done yet.

So let's give the kid a chance to prove himself. It's always hard to judge when there is such a disparity of talent level. Abreu has been very, very good but hasn't approached the numbers he put up in Cuba. Robert will struggle to do likewise. Dayan Viciedo looked like a rising young star in Cuba too.