White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm surprised about the Collins negativity- all reports are that his defense is better than expected, and he's been improving at the plate recently (.250 over his past 10 games, .271 for July), seems like having a little protection in the line up is helping.
It seems like the K rate is what they are worried about. Projecting him as an Adam Dunn prospect who isn't facing high level pitching but still striking out at an alarming rate.

I would like to add that, quietly, Basabe is beginning to play better ball. Not sure about his monthly, but his 10 day split has him at a .314 split and he has brought up his average from .205 to .222 in a month.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Question about our pitching prospects from next year: who goes up and who gets sent down?

We are looking at a log jam assuming Giolito stays down.

I think Stephens, Kopech, Guerrero, and Adams deserve to go AAA after this season.

This, of course, will free up space for Dunning, Hansen, Hickman, etc.

The problem with all of this, of course, is that Giolito may still need time in the minors.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Listening to South Side Sox podcast, it seems like you're definitely not in the minority. It seems like most scouts or viewers are seeing what some of you are. He's ready for the jump.

They did bring up an interesting point in the fact the White Sox are being extremely conservative with their call ups within the system as well as outside of it. What do you guys think?

Specifically with guys like Lopez and the fact that we are creating a log jam by letting guys like Pelfrey and Holland pitch just because they are veterans. Much of their argument boiled down to that we may be being overly conservative just because we were overly active once.

Also, a lot of negativity about Collins.
I think we'll see Lopez soon. The idea of waiting until after the Cubs series is a good one. No idea if that is the driver or not but it makes sense to me. Put the kid in a position to succeed. Don't throw in the fire day one. It's still all about development.

As for Eloy Jiminez, and perhaps Jake Burger, I'd say move them along if they are dominating their league as clearly as they appear to be doing. It's the right thing for their development and it is the best thing organizationally.

Right now, most of these guys are targeted for Chicago in 2019 or 2020. I would like for at least a few of them to arrive in 2018 and 2019 to spread it out a little. I don't mind a team full of young guys but I'd rather they not all be rookies in the same year.So if Eloy and Jake can arrive in 2018 sometime that would be a good thing. If Giolito can gain some consistency and arrive mid-year 2018 that too would be a good thing.

Other than Moncada and Lopez I don't think there is anyone of note really ready for Chicago. I might bring up Delmonico at some point but I also don't have high expectations for him. Might make a decent left handed half of a DH platoon now that Davidson is playing third.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It seems like the K rate is what they are worried about. Projecting him as an Adam Dunn prospect who isn't facing high level pitching but still striking out at an alarming rate.

I would like to add that, quietly, Basabe is beginning to play better ball. Not sure about his monthly, but his 10 day split has him at a .314 split and he has brought up his average from .205 to .222 in a month.
Yes, I hadn't looked at his splits but noticed that he's been picking up since he was moved down in the line-up. That is good to see. I'd really like to see this kid succeed.

Collins K rate is high. So is his walk rate so that part is good. He's also delivered on the power numbers and his overall hitting has been improving recently as well. They say hitting is contagious. Whether Collins and Basabe are benefiting from having more hitters around them or simply catching up to the league now is the big question.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Question about our pitching prospects from next year: who goes up and who gets sent down?

I think Stephens, Kopech, Guerrero, and Adams deserve to go AAA after this season.

The problem with all of this, of course, is that Giolito may still need time in the minors.
Yes, I expect Charlotte to have a loaded staff next year. But those four plus Giolito and Fulmer make for a six man rotation. Wouldn't surprise me if at least one guy gets packaged in another trade. Or Fulmer maybe goes to the bullpen. I doubt they'll want to do that yet.

AA should likewise have a fairly strong pitching staff again next year (and some position players which the poor folks in Birmingham will be grateful for I'm sure). The lower minors will be much weaker so it wouldn't surprise me if next years draft will feature more pitching prospects.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

The team at the major league level is unwatchable- so keeping close tabs on the affiliates-

Kannapolis- 2 hits from Gavin Sheets, average up to .260 now, HR from L. Gonzalez (he replaced Adolfo- not sure why?)
Winston-Salem- Huge day from Jiminez (5-6, 2B, HR), 2 hits by new SS from Texas system, Yrizarri, 20 y.o.,hitting .276 since joining Dash (might partially make up for losing Tatis, Jr. in the disastrous Shields trade), Basabe with 2 hits- hitting .314 over his last 10 games, decent debut start by Clarkin (trade w/NYY)- 5 IP, 2 ER but 5 BBs.
Birmingham- Polo (trade w/NYY) 1-4, Michalczewski 2-4, hitting .294 over his past 10 games- I think his best run this season.
Charlotte- Asche 2-4, now hitting .341 by far his best season in the minors (age 27, not sure it means anything), decent start by Danish (6 IP, 2 ER, possible bullpen arm in 2018?), R. Liriano hitting .343 over his past 10 games, age 26, not sure if it means anything)
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18

Last edited by TomBradley72; 07-24-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Yes, I expect Charlotte to have a loaded staff next year. But those four plus Giolito and Fulmer make for a six man rotation. Wouldn't surprise me if at least one guy gets packaged in another trade. Or Fulmer maybe goes to the bullpen. I doubt they'll want to do that yet.

AA should likewise have a fairly strong pitching staff again next year (and some position players which the poor folks in Birmingham will be grateful for I'm sure). The lower minors will be much weaker so it wouldn't surprise me if next years draft will feature more pitching prospects.
I think Fulmer (and possibly Danish) are part of the 2018 bullpen- I think they've both proved this season that they are long shots (at best) to be major league starters.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The team at the major league level is unwatchable- so keeping close tabs on the affiliates-

Kannapolis- 2 hits from Ben Sheets, average up to .260 now, HR from L. Gonzalez (he replaced Adolfo- not sure why?)
Winston-Salem- Huge day from Jiminez (5-6, 2B, HR), 2 hits by new SS from Texas system, Yrizarri, 20 y.o.,hitting .276 since joining Dash (might partially make up for losing Tatis, Jr. in the disastrous Shields trade), Basabe with 2 hits- hitting .314 over his last 10 games, decent debut start by Clarkin (trade w/NYY)- 5 IP, 2 ER but 5 BBs.
Birmingham- Polo (trade w/NYY) 1-4, Michalczewski 2-4, hitting .294 over his past 10 games- I think his best run this season.
Charlotte- Asche 2-4, now hitting .341 by far his best season in the minors (age 27, not sure it means anything), decent start by Danish (6 IP, 2 ER, possible bullpen arm in 2018?), R. Liriano hitting .343 over his past 10 games, age 26, not sure if it means anything)
Gavin Sheets, Ben was his dad.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think Fulmer (and possibly Danish) are part of the 2018 bullpen- I think they've both proved this season that they are long shots (at best) to be major league starters.
I agree with you. I just expect the team won't want to give up on him as a starter yet.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I agree with you. I just expect the team won't want to give up on him as a starter yet.
I agree- it will depend on how fast the Birmingham arms and Giolito progress, and if/when they decide it just doesn't make sense to give those AAA starts to Fulmer. Adams is only 21- so they may be willing to have him spend more time at AA before promoting.

Last edited by TomBradley72; 07-24-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I agree that all four of those guys have pitched well enough to deserve a promotion. The issue is that Giolito, Fulmer, and Danish haven't.

Unless the Sox decide to either put Fulmer and/or Danish in the pen or in the rotation and let them learn on the job in 2018, someone (maybe 2) will have to repeat AA. I think the order to fill the openings in AAA would be Kopech, Stephens, Guerrero, and then Adams. (Kopech's status gets him the top spot, the other three are based on age.)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
As for Eloy Jiminez, and perhaps Jake Burger, I'd say move them along if they are dominating their league as clearly as they appear to be doing. It's the right thing for their development and it is the best thing organizationally.
I do not a agree with this statement only because the sample size is too small. The White Sox minor league philosophy needs to change, they should not push guys ahead because they have a good 150- 200 at bats at a level. The ability to shake off cold streaks and show consistency over 400+ at bats should be taken very seriously.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsoxfan View Post
I agree that all four of those guys have pitched well enough to deserve a promotion. The issue is that Giolito, Fulmer, and Danish haven't.

Unless the Sox decide to either put Fulmer and/or Danish in the pen or in the rotation and let them learn on the job in 2018, someone (maybe 2) will have to repeat AA. I think the order to fill the openings in AAA would be Kopech, Stephens, Guerrero, and then Adams. (Kopech's status gets him the top spot, the other three are based on age.)
I think a lot of us got spoiled with the quick ascension of Sale and Rodon, and assumed the same thing from Fulmer. He never was rated as highly as Sale and Rodon, would always need more development time, and probably was not well served by being promoted briefly last year.

If Fulmer is destined for the bullpen, he's probably someone who could pitch up to three innings (once through the lineup) effectively every third day or so, or once in a three-game series. And that's not a bad piece to have.

I think Danish could be that kind of pitcher as well. And having two of those kinds of guys in the bullpen could take a lot of pressure off both the rotation and the rest of the relievers.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Gavin Sheets, Ben was his dad.
Nope, Larry is his dad.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...heetla01.shtml
Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!