White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 PM
rainbow6 rainbow6 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I think it depends on when we start jettisoning vets in trades. If it's late July and Q, Robertson, and Frazier are on the roster, we probably won't be a top-3 pick.
I actually meant that RIGHT NOW we are tied for the fifth pick (there are only four teams with worse records going into tonight. Being this bad with the aforementioned Q, Robertson and Frazier on the roster it's almost difficult to imagine not eventually slipping further.

Having said that, Q and Frazier have been horrific so far so maybe it's a wash.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Austin Beck, if available, is my no-brainer choice.
Short article on Beck vs. Adell:

http://www.the3rdmanin.com/2017-mlb-...l-austin-beck/
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,180
Default

Another name I am getting more comfortable with is Logan Warmoth. If Smith/Hasely are not there, I would prefer the premium hit tool over the tooled up wonders like Adell/Kendall who struggle with the Hit tool.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:43 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Another name I am getting more comfortable with is Logan Warmoth. If Smith/Hasely are not there, I would prefer the premium hit tool over the tooled up wonders like Adell/Kendall who struggle with the Hit tool.
I wondering if this is the year where they try to grab someone who will sign for under slot value and try to turn it into multiple HS players.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-07-2017, 02:07 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Interesting that Adell is making more consistent contact. 9 K's for the entire season is very good.

I still prefer Beck: Lightening quick hands, good pitch recognition, and good power to all fields.

Another thing I love about Beck is that unlike all of the other HS hitters available in this draft, and most drafts for that matter, he is not trying to pull everything. He hits the ball where it's pitched.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't see the allure of a lot of these high floor-low ceiling college hitters in this draft. Guys like Pavin Smith and Evan White strike me as 2nd/3rd round material.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-07-2017, 02:48 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't see the allure of a lot of these high floor-low ceiling college hitters in this draft. Guys like Pavin Smith and Evan White strike me as 2nd/3rd round material.
In a farm system with a significant lack of prospects that can hit the ball, you're probably better off going with a player that is more likely to pan out even though their future expected value is less with all things considered equal.

With the signing of Robert, the Sox bought a pretty expensive lottery ticket. Not sure if they'll be chomping at the bit to buy another one.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I wondering if this is the year where they try to grab someone who will sign for under slot value and try to turn it into multiple HS players.
Maybe, but there isn't a really good group of 2nd and 3rd rounders out here.

I just love this kid's hit tool. And he might stick at SS. He might be a little reach, but I think he is much more likely to be a pro than a guy like Adell
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Maybe, but there isn't a really good group of 2nd and 3rd rounders out here.

I just love this kid's hit tool. And he might stick at SS. He might be a little reach, but I think he is much more likely to be a pro than a guy like Adell
I disagree. Contact hitting 2B's -- which is where he'll likely play - with 10-15 HR pop are absolutely not top half 1st RD. material. In this scenario, I'd take Adell, a coachable kid, with high end potential, rather than a high floor, non dynamic player like Warmoth.

The college hitters are a super weak crop this year, it'd be a mistake, IMO, to take the best of a generic crop, than to go for a HS kid that can be something special.

Again, I would take Beck.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
I disagree. Contact hitting 2B's -- which is where he'll likely play - with 10-15 HR pop are absolutely not top half 1st RD. material. In this scenario, I'd take Adell, a coachable kid, with high end potential, rather than a high floor, non dynamic player like Warmoth.

The college hitters are a super weak crop this year, it'd be a mistake, IMO, to take the best of a generic crop, than to go for a HS kid that can be something special.

Again, I would take Beck.
I am not huge on Beck. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, and he has some really good tools, but he has some problems with his swing I personally don't like.

The Sox haven't historically had a lot of success with players they need to rebuild their swing.

If we are taking a lottery ticket tools player, I Would go with Kendall. Atleast he will stay in CF, so if he never hits, he still might be a better Mike Cameron/Chris Young type.

And you may be right on Warmoth, but I think he is going to end up a Dustin Pedroia kind of player. Scrappy, .300+ hitter with high OBP and good speed. Glue guy with good gap power, and I think he profiles as a well above average defensive 2b, wouldn't shock me to see him be a 3-4 WAR per year guy. Also wouldn't shock me to see him be a utility IF, nothing given in the mlb draft.

Last edited by Domeshot17; 06-07-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,745
Default

Both Callis and Manuel stuck with Kendall for the Sox in their latest mocks this morning.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I am not huge on Beck. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, and he has some really good tools, but he has some problems with his swing I personally don't like.

The Sox haven't historically had a lot of success with players they need to rebuild their swing.

If we are taking a lottery ticket tools player, I Would go with Kendall. Atleast he will stay in CF, so if he never hits, he still might be a better Mike Cameron/Chris Young type.

And you may be right on Warmoth, but I think he is going to end up a Dustin Pedroia kind of player. Scrappy, .300+ hitter with high OBP and good speed. Glue guy with good gap power, and I think he profiles as a well above average defensive 2b, wouldn't shock me to see him be a 3-4 WAR per year guy. Also wouldn't shock me to see him be a utility IF, nothing given in the mlb draft.
Beck's bat has a little too touch wiggle and is kind of busy during during the load process, but there is absolutley zero wrong with his actual swing. He is absolutely lightening quick through the zone and takes a fluid, direct path to the ball. He's a natural born hitter/slugger. Any scout who thinks his swing needs to be reconstructed, needs to get another job.

As far as Warmoth, I see a solid Joe Panik type, who makes contact and basically walks as much as he strikes out. Nothing wrong with that, just a major reach at 12. Probably a .725 to .740 OPS type player.

As for Kendall, I'm hoping someone ( A's, Phillies, Brewers?) take him before we pick to save us from ourselves.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Beck's bat has a little too touch wiggle and is kind of busy during during the load process, but there is absolutley zero wrong with his actual swing. He is absolutely lightening quick through the zone and takes a fluid, direct path to the ball. He's a natural born hitter/slugger. Any scout who thinks his swing needs to be reconstructed, needs to get another job.

As far as Warmoth, I see a solid Joe Panik type, who makes contact and basically walks as much as he strikes out. Nothing wrong with that, just a major reach at 12. Probably a .725 to .740 OPS type player.

As for Kendall, I'm hoping someone ( A's, Phillies, Brewers?) take him before we pick to save us from ourselves.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote, I just am less optimistic. I also get scared of younger guys who haven't shown a lot with a wood bat. His swing has so much effort, I don't know that its going to translate. He may end up Mike Trout (although I think hes a corner OF), but he may also never make it past double a.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I don't disagree with anything you wrote, I just am less optimistic. I also get scared of younger guys who haven't shown a lot with a wood bat. His swing has so much effort, I don't know that its going to translate. He may end up Mike Trout (although I think hes a corner OF), but he may also never make it past double a.
It's funny you should say that. Ive been having 2009 draft, deja vu type, thoughts/nightmares. We take Jared Mitchell, Mike Trout goes two picks later.

2017: We take a slightly more refined Jared Mitchell in Kendall, then right after us someone else grabs Beck, a slightly less refined Mike Trout.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
It's funny you should say that. Ive been having 2009 draft, deja vu type, thoughts/nightmares. We take Jared Mitchell, Mike Trout goes two picks later.

2017: We take a slightly more refined Jared Mitchell in Kendall, then right after us someone else grabs Beck, a slightly less refined Mike Trout.
I also don't think Beck makes it to us personally.

Hes got that violent Swing like Trout, but I think he really has to work for it. Its not something that cant be fixed, but its not a fix the Sox have historically done well with.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-10-2017, 11:16 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,285
Default

Prediction count as of 6/9:

Jeren Kendall, OF, Vanderbilt (18)
Alex Faedo, RHP, Florida (7)
Adam Haseley, OF, Virginia (5)
Jordon Adell, OF, Ballard HS, Louisville (3)
Seth Romero, LHP, Houston (3)
Austin Beck, OF, North Davidson HS, NC (2)
Pavin Smith, 1B, Virginia (2)
D.L. Hall, LHP, Valdosta HS / Alex Faedo, RHP, Florida (1)
Kyle Wright, RHP, Vanderbilt (1)
Jake Burger, 3B, Missouri State (1)
J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, North Carolina (1)
Trevor Rogers, LHP, Carlsbad HS (1)

At this point most of the national guys are going bonkers of the "Hahn met with Kendall" story.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.