White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
That being said, Collins has had other stretches where he's been totally on fire but then he followed that with long cold stretches where he looked more of the same. So, I consider myself cautiously optimistic at this point. Maybe there's something to the adjustments he's made, but it's also possible that it's another one of his hot streaks.
Good point that Collins is notoriously streaky. That's why I don't really know what to make of this recent streak, especially when it's occurring at AAA where all the offensive numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. The biggest question to me with Collins is where to play him? Renteria did not seem to like him behind the plate during his short stint with the MLB club earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubuqueSox View Post
Might as well bring him up now, when he's on a hot streak, and see if he can sustain it against better pitching. If you don't call him up until he's in a slump, then his confidence would take a beating.
My prediction is that on Sept 1, Castillo will be DFA'ed, and then Collins and either Zavala or Mercedes (who would have to be added to the 40-man) will both come up. Then Renteria can feel comfortable putting Collins in the DH slot without the risk of not having a backup C in case McCann gets injured. Ideally I'd like to see a 3-man rotation of McCann, Collins, and Mercedes at C and DH.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Good point that Collins is notoriously streaky. That's why I don't really know what to make of this recent streak, especially when it's occurring at AAA where all the offensive numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. The biggest question to me with Collins is where to play him? Renteria did not seem to like him behind the plate during his short stint with the MLB club earlier this year.

My prediction is that on Sept 1, Castillo will be DFA'ed, and then Collins and either Zavala or Mercedes (who would have to be added to the 40-man) will both come up. Then Renteria can feel comfortable putting Collins in the DH slot without the risk of not having a backup C in case McCann gets injured. Ideally I'd like to see a 3-man rotation of McCann, Collins, and Mercedes at C and DH.
They don't have to DFA Castillo they can keep him as a third guy and let Collins DH and play first safely when he's not catching. I think Mercedes comes up too.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-17-2019, 10:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
They don't have to DFA Castillo they can keep him as a third guy and let Collins DH and play first safely when he's not catching. I think Mercedes comes up too.
They don't have to DFA him, but I would prefer they do. He serves no role. The only reason I can think that they haven't done it is because Renteria in his old-school ways doesn't like putting the backup C at DH all that often, so whoever they bring up wouldn't get very many ABs. That concern goes out the window after Sept 1 when they can have 3 catchers on the roster.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 PM

Charlotte split a pair winning 7-6 and losing 3-2

Moncada had 3 hits ncluding a HR
Robert was 0/4 and had the night cap off
Madrigal 1/4 RBI didn't play second game
Collins 2/3 2B 2 R as C. Didn't play second game but PH and struck out
Mercedes 1/5 HR 3 RBI 2 BB

Walsk 2 .0 IP 5 H 2 ER 4 K
Minay 1.0 IP 2 H 1 ER K
Schryver 1.0 IP 1 h 1 ER (ERA now over 9.6 at AAA)
Ruiz 1.0 IP 1 H 0 BB 0 R 2 K
Covey got hit hard but got a W

Birmingham won 3-0 and only gave up 1 Hit but no serious prospects were involved in the pitching

Sheets 1/3 RBI
Basabe 0/3 BB

Dash lost 4-3

Walker 2/5 2B RBI
Frost 1/5
Vaughn 0/3 BB

Banuelos was the SP on a rehab 4.2 IP 5 H 2 ER BB 7 K 86 P
Sousa 2.0 IP 4 H 1 ER 3 K took the L

Kannapolis lost 4-3

Beltrey 2/5 HR 2B
Sosa 0/5
Osik 1/4 R BB
Zangari 2/3 2B 2 BB
Hickman 2/4 RBI BB
Quinteiro 1/5
Simmons 0/5

Cronin 3.0 IP 3 H 1 ER BB 2 K took the L.
Gonzalez 0/3 BB
Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM
WSI Personality

Voodoo, where are yesterday's recaps? You're slipping .

It was a great day on the farm, with every team from AAA down to the the AZL winning (Great Falls was postponed). Pitching looks like it was great with none of those teams giving up more than 2 runs. Big 8-2 win at AAA, with another 2 HRs for Robert and one for Mercedes.

https://www.milb.com/scores/whitesox/2019-08-18
Old 08-19-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Voodoo, where are yesterday's recaps? You're slipping .

It was a great day on the farm, with every team from AAA down to the the AZL winning (Great Falls was postponed). Pitching looks like it was great with none of those teams giving up more than 2 runs. Big 8-2 win at AAA, with another 2 HRs for Robert and one for Mercedes.

https://www.milb.com/scores/whitesox/2019-08-18
Site is mostly down so I haven't been posting or even reading much. Hard to do and not sure West wants us posting until he gets the tech stuff figured out. It was a great day, especially pitching wise...
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
WSI Personality

For those that missed it, there's been a lot of fun going on in Charlotte recently, at least from an offensive perspective. Robert is doing everything he can to put the pressure on Hahn.

Two days ago:
Madrigal 1/3 with 2 walks
Robert 2/5 with 2 HRs
Mercedes 1/5 with a HR
Collins 2/4 with a double

Yesterday:
Madrigal 2/5 with a double
Moncada 2/5 with a HR
Robert 1/4 with a HR
Mercedes 2/4 with a HR

Today (through 7, but I couldn't wait to post this):
Madrigal 3/5 with a double
Moncada 3/5 with a double
Robert 2/4 with a HR
Old Today, 08:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Site is mostly down so I haven't been posting or even reading much. Hard to do and not sure West wants us posting until he gets the tech stuff figured out. It was a great day, especially pitching wise...
For those of us that can figure out how to get to this site, what's going on and do you have any idea on the timeline for fixing it?
Old Today, 08:28 AM
WSI Prelate

....also of note: both Matt Thompson and Andrew Dalquist have made their debuts in the Sox organization with the AZL team. Dalquist has had 2 outings with 1 inning each and Thompson pitched an inning in 1 game so far.

Charlotte's offense sure has been exciting of late. Lots of guys hitting the ball well plus they've had Moncada on rehab for a few games. Madrigal seems to be getting things in gear after a slow start at AAA. His OPS is up to .775 in 18 games - and that includes his slow start over the first week or so after his promotion.
Old Today, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
For those of us that can figure out how to get to this site, what's going on and do you have any idea on the timeline for fixing it?
Tech issues and no. Sorry wish I had more details, but a lot of it comes down to time to work on the site and West works a stressful full time job so it's tough to find the time to fix the site. He's on it, but it's going to be a while.
Old Today, 01:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
....also of note: both Matt Thompson and Andrew Dalquist have made their debuts in the Sox organization with the AZL team. Dalquist has had 2 outings with 1 inning each and Thompson pitched an inning in 1 game so far.

Charlotte's offense sure has been exciting of late. Lots of guys hitting the ball well plus they've had Moncada on rehab for a few games. Madrigal seems to be getting things in gear after a slow start at AAA. His OPS is up to .775 in 18 games - and that includes his slow start over the first week or so after his promotion.
Madrigal, Moncada, and Robert sure do look nice at the top of that lineup.
Old Today, 07:59 PM

Kannapolis won 4-2

Almost the whole team has some kind of chance to advance in the minors in the future so posting hitting stats seems redundant.

Osik remains hot another double and HBP
Simmons also had two more hits including a double

Dawkins and Destino the "old guys" who were both drafted the last two years are also having solid seasons.

Bilous 5.1 IP 5 H 3 BB 2 ER 3 K
Perez 2.2 IP 1 H 1 BB 2 K
Conway - another "old guy" who just got drafted last year and is in his first full season continues to kill it with 1.0 IP 1 H 1 K ERA is 1.84 on the year with .160 BAA and 40 K in 29.1 IP
Old Today, 10:17 PM

Charlotte won 3-0
Robert 1/3 BB 2B
Madrigal 1/5
Mendick 1/4 HR
Torres stil raking 2/4 2B 2 RBI

Despaigne started pitched well
Schryver nice bounce back 1.2 IP 2 H BB 2 K
Ruiz 1.1 IP 0 H BB K (think he's going to be a major part of the bullpen next year)

Dash lost 4-3 late

Walker 2/5 HR 3 RBI
Frost 0/4
Vaughn 0/4

Sousa 2.0 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 3 K
Old Today, 11:20 PM

Birmingham lost 7-6 in 10 after giving up a run in the 8th, 9th and 10th while getting shutout by a buzzsaw bullpen from Jaxsonville over the final 5 innings.

Sheets had the night off

Gonzalez 1/5 R
Rutherford 1/4 BB 2B
Basabe 0/5

Battenfield 5.0 IP 9 H BB 4 ER K HR
Martinez 2.0 IP 2 H 0 BB 0 R 2 K
Hansen 0.2 IP 2 H R Melted down after giving up a 2-out double
Heuer 2.1 IP 2 R 0 ER 0 BB K

Heuer's stats are not as good as they look. He committed the error on a SH bunt in the 9th throwing the ball into RF and allowing the runner from first to score and the would be Sacrificer to make it all the way to third. So Unearned is a bit deceptive. Second one was the guy placed on second in the 10th and that's never considered an earned run. Still he hasn't given up an earned run in a LONG time (at least 11 outings including tonight) and is having a heck of a season over all with the following overall stats at AA 1.78 ERA .239 BAA 1.11 WHIP 19 K 6 BB in 25.1 IP since being called up 6/20.