White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Minor League thread a/k/a the 2020 roster part III

Carry on.

‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

2020 eh?

Rotation:
Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Giolito
Lopez

Line-up:
2B-Moncada
CF-Robert
DH-Abreu
LF-Jiminez
1B-Sheets
3B-Burger
C-Collins
RF-Adolfo
SS-Anderson

Bullpen:
Cease
Burdi
Clarkin
Stephens
Bummer
Puckett
Flores

Bench:
C-Zavala
IF - Yrizarri
OF - Basabe
IF/OF-Delmonico

* Subject to wild and massive change due to trades, injuries, free agent signings, drafts, and failure to perform
Old 09-28-2017, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
2020 eh?

Rotation:
Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Giolito
Lopez

Line-up:
2B-Moncada
CF-Robert
DH-Abreu
LF-Jiminez
1B-Sheets
3B-Burger
C-Collins
RF-Adolfo
SS-Anderson

Bullpen:
Cease
Burdi
Clarkin
Stephens
Bummer
Puckett
Flores

Bench:
C-Zavala
IF - Yrizarri
OF - Basabe
IF/OF-Delmonico

* Subject to wild and massive change due to trades, injuries, free agent signings, drafts, and failure to perform
Great list - lots of promising talent all the way through that roster. I know this is all speculation at this point, but in this scenario, is Avi gone via trade or free agency by 2020? Also, what happens with Rutherford, Fulmer, and Dunning?

Unless he's traded for something of value, I'd like to see Yolmer Sanchez still around as a bench IF in 2020.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
2020 eh?

Rotation:
Rodon
Given he had surgery, is out 6-8 months and will not be able to complete a full major league season YET AGAIN, I wouldn't count on him as far as I could throw him.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Given he had surgery, is out 6-8 months and will not be able to complete a full major league season YET AGAIN, I wouldn't count on him as far as I could throw him.
Yes, Rodon is obviously a BIG question mark. I posted that before news of his surgery.

The good news is that if Rodon is out then Dane Dunning is in and, other than missing a lefty in the rotation, that is fine by me. I was very impressed with the games I saw Dunning pitch at Winston-Salem.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Great list - lots of promising talent all the way through that roster. I know this is all speculation at this point, but in this scenario, is Avi gone via trade or free agency by 2020? Also, what happens with Rutherford, Fulmer, and Dunning?

Unless he's traded for something of value, I'd like to see Yolmer Sanchez still around as a bench IF in 2020.
I think Sanchez is too good for utility infielder and ends up getting traded to some team that needs a second baseman.

Avi, Adolfo, or Rutherford could all be swapped in and out of the outfield. If Rutherford makes it then he goes to left and Jiminez to right. If Avi sticks around then it is a question which corner he and Jiminez end up playing. I haven't seen enough of Jiminez's defense to have a feel for him.

My guess is Avi gets traded for a bunch of A-ball prospects that make for a second round of young talent arriving a few years after this first wave takes over. Frankly, I think that would be wise from an organizational standpoint. It would help them create a sustained period of winning.

As I just said to Lip, with news of Rodon's surgery perhaps Dunning ends up in the rotation instead of Rodon. Or maybe Cease (I like Dunning to start and Cease to close personally).

My hope for guys like Fulmer, Adams, etc. is that they play well enough to look like rotation prospects to other teams and get traded either for veterans to fill the inevitable gaps or for more prospects to create that sustained winning.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think Rodon's injury cements Singer as #1 on the WSOX draft board. He's essentially a very rich man's Dunning and there's a very good chance he's ready by 2020. They have so many high risk arms that it'd be nice to have someone with a very high floor in the system. Even a top 10 overall prospect like Kopech is a bigger question mark than Honeywell or Whitley, who are rated behind him.

Of course odds are he won't fall to 3 or 4, but who knows. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I think Rodon's injury cements Singer as #1 on the WSOX draft board. He's essentially a very rich man's Dunning and there's a very good chance he's ready by 2020. They have so many high risk arms that it'd be nice to have someone with a very high floor in the system. Even a top 10 overall prospect like Kopech is a bigger question mark than Honeywell or Whitley, who are rated behind him.

Of course odds are he won't fall to 3 or 4, but who knows. Fingers crossed.
Yes, Singer looks like he would be a very nice addition. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes #1. Certainly by #3 if he stays the course over the next season. If he is someones target then falling to #4 or 5 is a bad thing for the Sox.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:56 AM
WSI Regular

This is an old article written in 2014 about the Astros. But I found this quote interesting:

Quote:
We're dealing with a small sample -- just 15 teams. But in the last decade, there have been 15 teams who placed in the top five of a Baseball America farm-system ranking, and only one of them didn't make the playoffs within four seasons. The one that didn't made it in the fifth season. Only three of the 15 weren't over .500 four seasons later.
I think most people around here these days are on board with the current direction of the club, but I was still surprised and encouraged to see the success rate so high.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
This is an old article written in 2014 about the Astros. But I found this quote interesting:

I think most people around here these days are on board with the current direction of the club, but I was still surprised and encouraged to see the success rate so high.
Just from a numbers perspective, this makes total sense.

We have around 15-20 prospects that will be considered great to average. A success rate of 40% means that we can have about 6- 8 players pan out to becomes good to great players. Add a couple of free agents, and you have your playoff contender.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Moncada and Hansen named White Sox prospects of the year:
http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...picId=27118146

White Sox Baseball 2011-2016*
Passion!
Pride!
Tradition!

*except for 3 months in mid 2012 and 5 weeks in early 2016
Old 10-08-2017, 09:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
2020 eh?

Rotation:
Rodon
Kopech
Hansen
Giolito
Lopez

Line-up:
2B-Moncada
CF-Robert
DH-Abreu
LF-Jiminez
1B-Sheets
3B-Burger
C-Collins
RF-Adolfo
SS-Anderson

Bullpen:
Cease
Burdi
Clarkin
Stephens
Bummer
Puckett
Flores

Bench:
C-Zavala
IF - Yrizarri
OF - Basabe
IF/OF-Delmonico

With Rodon being a health question mark, and the Sox having a tiny payroll even in 2020, I think we add one studly dudly starter through free agency. Maybe Madison Bumgarner��
Old 10-09-2017, 11:08 AM
WSI Prelate

I am going to go ahead and replace Cease with Rodon in the starting rotation by 2020. I think he has the arm for it. Just needs to train for longevity. Next year will be key.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I am going to go ahead and replace Cease with Rodon in the starting rotation by 2020. I think he has the arm for it. Just needs to train for longevity. Next year will be key.
You're going to remove Rodon from the starting rotation and replace him with Cease. Or at least that's what I believe your trying to say.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
You're going to remove Rodon from the starting rotation and replace him with Cease. Or at least that's what I believe your trying to say.
Yes, I am certain that is what he intended to say. The good news is that if Rodon can't stick then we've got both Dunning and Cease as high quality prospects to fill the spot. As suggested, it could also be the one place we sign a free agent veteran.