GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Ugh, I hope they can flip them for better prospects. I liked Peter.
At best, Peter is just a guy if he even turns into a major leaguer. To get two useful bullpen arms for a guy we had no use for at all is actually pretty amazing.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM
WSI Guru

Gonna be weird seeing Joakim Soria in a Sox uniform. Would have been nice to have him in his prime, but if he gets us closer to a winner, I'll be happy.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Would Soria get the first crack at the 9th inning?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Thatís a pretty decent deal, considering we were prepared to lose Peter in the Rule 5 draft.

It augments the bullpen for a player for whom we donít have a spot on the roster.

And if Avilan and/or Soria pitches halfway decently, either/both can be flipped at the deadline for more prospects.
Pretty decent deal? Frankly, it's an amazing haul for Peter! We gave up a minor league utility infielder for whom we didn't really have a spot for two major league bullpen arms and some money to pay for the expensive one of the two.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Would Soria get the first crack at the 9th inning?
Unless Nate Jones is back, I would think so.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Pretty decent deal? Frankly, it's an amazing haul for Peter! We gave up a minor league utility infielder for whom we didn't really have a spot for two major league bullpen arms and some money to pay for the expensive one of the two.
Bingo. When Hahn flips one or both of the arms before the trade deadline the haul only gets even better. Great move.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White
Youíre right. The talent portion of this trade is definitely lopsided. Looks like the Dodgers are pulling out all the stops to stay under the luxury tax limit. They must have another move planned and canít afford to wait around anymore for something to materialize regarding Matt Kemp.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Avilan has a nice track record. He should get a lot more innings and some chances to pitch in higher-leverage situations. He wasn't going to get that kind of play with the Dodgers.

Soria? I missed him signing with the Dodgers in the first place. But he's still going to be better than who we trotted out last year.

Nice trade, but I'd be surprised if Peter is all we gave up.

EDIT: Ah, it was a three way deal. Looks like KC also wanted to dump salary.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Default White Sox acquire Joakim Soria and Luis Avilan from Dodgers

No it was not Avi or Jose, but it will be helpful regardless. The bullpen was crap last year, so Soria is a good bullpen arm and he has closed before.
Quote:
Jon Morosi
@jonmorosi
TRADE IS OFFICIAL: #WhiteSox acquire Luis AvilŠn, Joakim Soria and cash from #Dodgers for minor league INF Jake Peter; #Dodgers had acquired Soria and LHP Scott Alexander from #Royals for INF Erick Mejia and RHP Trevor Oaks. @MLB @MLBNetwork
Old 01-04-2018, 06:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

So the Royals dump salary in Soria and get a decent but not spectacular looking back of the rotation prospect in Oaks. The White Sox get some much needed bullpen arms practically for free just for being willing and able to take on the salary (they get $3m from the Dodgers and $1m from KC). The Dodgers get to save a little salary as well I guess but give up a lot to do it. They get a decent lefty in Alexander but give up one in Avilan. They get a better looking infielder in Peter than the one they gave up, Mejia, but they also give up a pitching prospect and money.

Weird. I understand the Royals and I understand the White Sox in this deal but I don't really understand the Dodgers.

Soria has a $1m buyout next year in case the Sox want to dump him and can't trade him at the deadline. Sox made out like bandits.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

So two major league bullpen arms and cash for Peter? Seems like a good deal. If Soria pitches well he could be flipped in July to a contender too.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:18 PM
WSI High Priest

That is a good sign for Yolmer Sanchez, who did earn his way on to the roster based on the way he played last year. It was technically a three way deal involving Kansas City, and they got Eric Mejia and Trevor Oaks from the Dodgers. I like this deal for us.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Prelate

This continues to push my theory that this team will be a 75 to 80 win tan next year.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice to see the Sox taking advantage of the fact that they have plenty of payroll space.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-04-2018, 08:39 PM
WSI Personality

Of course you never know until the results are in, but in the last 18 months I think Rick Hahn has made several of the best trades I've ever seen. Nice job, Rick.