Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Default Trade rumors making me nervous

Max Wildstein (Sporting News) tweeted "Had heard the #WhiteSox have called about basically every player that’s on trading block, just for due diligence."

I can understand the interest in free agents. I can't understand the interest in trades. You can deal away your excess prospects to fill a hole when you're a playoff team. You can't deal them away when you have holes all over the place and project to win 70 games.

Machado would be incredible as a long-term cornerstone, awful as a one-year rental.

Yelich would be a nice long-term acquisition if we didn't have to trade for him.

And now we're inquiring on Gerrit Cole?

Is this (a) clueless reporting, (b) hoping to get lucky and get a player for half what he's worth, or (c) getting excited about contending way too soon? Because after having us linked to all three of these guys, it sure feels like (c).
Old 12-23-2017, 02:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Max Wildstein (Sporting News) tweeted "Had heard the #WhiteSox have called about basically every player that’s on trading block, just for due diligence."

I can understand the interest in free agents. I can't understand the interest in trades. You can deal away your excess prospects to fill a hole when you're a playoff team. You can't deal them away when you have holes all over the place and project to win 70 games.

Machado would be incredible as a long-term cornerstone, awful as a one-year rental.

Yelich would be a nice long-term acquisition if we didn't have to trade for him.

And now we're inquiring on Gerrit Cole?

Is this (a) clueless reporting, (b) hoping to get lucky and get a player for half what he's worth, or (c) getting excited about contending way too soon? Because after having us linked to all three of these guys, it sure feels like (c).
@MaxWildstein
25m25 minutes ago
Source: #Pirates have been receiving calls from other teams on Gerrit Cole, besides #Yankees, maybe #WhiteSox and #STLCards, so he’s expected to eventually be dealt. First: @jcrasnick.

Or (D) Kenny Williams is back calling the shots.

In fairness Max does say "MAYBE White Sox..." nothing definite.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:11 PM
WSI High Priest

I think it’s mostly Option B. Buy low on the established players and sell high on the prospects simultaneously. One of the benefits of having a kick-ass farm system is that prospects who are superfluous/expendable to us may still be better than what other teams are able to offer.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Meh... I wouldn't get too worked up over every rumor that comes down the pike. Due diligence is good. And for all we know the Sox were offering Avi for Cole not necessarily prospects. GM's have conversations with each other all the time. Tons of discussions about players never even make it to the rumor stage. Hahn has been unequivocal about staying the course. I'm not too worried about him changing his mind and I seriously doubt there has been a palace coup and he is now no longer running the show.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quite literally moments before I opened WSI I was thinking that some Sox fans seem a bit anxious about rumored trade explorations. I also think it is (b); just some tire-kicking on some guys that would fit with the long-term if they can be obtained under the right terms. I also think some of it is speculation by bored journalists.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 12-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Quite literally moments before I opened WSI I was thinking that some Sox fans seem a bit anxious about rumored trade explorations. I also think it is (b); just some tire-kicking on some guys that would fit with the long-term if they can be obtained under the right terms. I also think some of it is speculation by bored journalists.
Yeah but no.. surely this is a sign that the Sox have put KW back in charge and are going to dump all their top 100 prospects +Anderson, Avi, Abreu and Moncada for Adam Dunn and his kid plus a dog or two to cover the outfield...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-23-2017, 05:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I think it’s mostly Option B. Buy low on the established players and sell high on the prospects simultaneously. One of the benefits of having a kick-ass farm system is that prospects who are superfluous/expendable to us may still be better than what other teams are able to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Meh... I wouldn't get too worked up over every rumor that comes down the pike. Due diligence is good. And for all we know the Sox were offering Avi for Cole not necessarily prospects. GM's have conversations with each other all the time. Tons of discussions about players never even make it to the rumor stage. Hahn has been unequivocal about staying the course. I'm not too worried about him changing his mind and I seriously doubt there has been a palace coup and he is now no longer running the show.
Agreed.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah but no.. surely this is a sign that the Sox have put KW back in charge and are going to dump all their top 100 prospects +Anderson, Avi, Abreu and Moncada for Adam Dunn and his kid plus a dog or two to cover the outfield...

Given the last 10 seasons and the number of "veterans" acquired to put the team 'over the top' you can understand the comments I'm sure.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:06 PM
WSI Prelate

I think there are several factors at play:

1. The Marlins (and other clubs) know the a White Sox have a top farm system, so it is in their interest for the media to report that the White Sox are “interested,” because it would potentially increase offers from other clubs;

2. I think some in the media - and in Sox fandom - still don’t fully buy that the Sox are in the midst of a multi-year rebuild project;

3. And of course, the Sox are doing their due diligence to see what young stars, locked up to decent multi-year contracts, might be had for a package of prospects they (the Sox) might deem superfluous.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Hey! My dog Kasha could cover some ground and catch some baseballs!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
@MaxWildstein
25m25 minutes ago
Source: #Pirates have been receiving calls from other teams on Gerrit Cole, besides #Yankees, maybe #WhiteSox and #STLCards, so he’s expected to eventually be dealt. First: @jcrasnick.

Or (D) Kenny Williams is back calling the shots.

In fairness Max does say "MAYBE White Sox..." nothing definite.
Maybe it's all about staying on page one. Maybe they're clueless at the top.

We will find out.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-23-2017, 08:40 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Ill call bs on this again. The Sox only way to get publicity is to leak nonsense out there. Its been working and its a nice strategy.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sometimes on eBay I'll see an auction for, like, a new XBox that's currently at $5. And I know I'll never win the XBox for $5, but sometimes I bid anyway, because why not? That could just be all this is - get in on every trase, just not offering what the guy is really worth. If we can do something for nothing, great, otherwise no big deal.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:17 AM
WSI Personality

I know this is crazy, but being engaged in trade talks, regardless of how serious you are in actuality completing a trade, allows you to gather intelligence on what other teams are asking for for their players, and what sorts of value they place on your players. Having a wide scope of such knowledge seems like it would be handy, if not for making immediate deals, then for those that arise down the road. It sounds to me like what's being reported as "due diligence," might actually be due diligence.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:27 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Given the last 10 seasons and the number of "veterans" acquired to put the team 'over the top' you can understand the comments I'm sure.
I think it's ok to question what's going on based on history. The Sox were showing signs of the beginning of a rebuild in 2013 when they shipped off Peavy for Avisail Garcia, and then things turned around the following year when they signed Melky, Robertson, and LaRoche.