GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2017, 10:44 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Confused. Lopez is really that much better? Rutherford had a chance to be the number 1 pick in the draft if there weren't signing concerns.

Players with the contract and age like Yelich aren't available often. Not much difference in years from a prospect's 6 years and Yelich's 5 years, fits our timeline well. If we were acquiring Benintendi now would it be the wrong time and situation? He has the same years of control.

But I can understand wanting to let all the prospects pan out until we see our big league team start to take shape. I just think with this package of guys I suggested, that there are some question marks with them being a part of the future here. Rutherford is only expendable in this trade because Yelich is the MLB best case scenario for him. After that, Fulmer likely will just be a 7-8th inning guy and Avi has only 2 years control.

I don't want us to trade our prospects, but the mentioned players aren't making or breaking our rebuild. By getting young, proven, cost controllable players, like Yelich, that takes the risk away from banking on ALL of our prospects to pan out. Right now the only position player in the MLB that I'm confident will be a starter the next 6 years on the team is Moncada. Lot's of risk currently lying in our prospects panning out at a higher percent than league average.
The problem is that the Marlins aren't going to trade him for our spare parts. They know we have better prospects and they will demand them in a trade. They saw us get a ton for Eaton, and they probably believe Yelich is better than Eaton.

As I said, Lopez was around #30 before the trade, and had "helium" -- he had risen fast and some people were saying he was the Nats' #1 prospect. And Rutherford was in the 37-49 range a year ago before his stock fell, off a bad year. We don't know where he will be ranked this offseason but I bet he's in the 60-70 range. So yes, #30 and on the cusp of the majors is a much better return than #65 and not progressing.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:58 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The problem is that the Marlins aren't going to trade him for our spare parts. They know we have better prospects and they will demand them in a trade. They saw us get a ton for Eaton, and they probably believe Yelich is better than Eaton.

As I said, Lopez was around #30 before the trade, and had "helium" -- he had risen fast and some people were saying he was the Nats' #1 prospect. And Rutherford was in the 37-49 range a year ago before his stock fell, off a bad year. We don't know where he will be ranked this offseason but I bet he's in the 60-70 range. So yes, #30 and on the cusp of the majors is a much better return than #65 and not progressing.
Nothing about Fulmer, Rutherford, Avi (or a 3rd team's prospects) is spare parts. Not sure where that's coming from. Two top 10 prospects from maybe the best farm system and a young OFer w/2 years control coming off a .885 OPS year who is worth at least the same as anther top 10 in our system.

Could maybe give you the edge to Lopez. But as I mentioned, Eaton had more value than Yelich does now. Had 3.8 more WAR in the 3 years leading up to the trade than Yelich has in the last 3 years.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Nothing about Fulmer, Rutherford, Avi (or a 3rd team's prospects) is spare parts. Not sure where that's coming from. Two top 10 prospects from maybe the best farm system and a young OFer w/2 years control coming off a .885 OPS year who is worth at least the same as anther top 10 in our system.

Could maybe give you the edge to Lopez. But as I mentioned, Eaton had more value than Yelich does now. Had 3.8 more WAR in the 3 years leading up to the trade than Yelich has in the last 3 years.
Rutherford is a legitimate prospect, but his stock has been falling.

Fulmer is a busted prospect, in my opinion. A future setup man, since he doesn't have the control to be a closer.

If Avi is worth at least the same as another top 10 in our system, let's pull the trigger quick.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Confused. Lopez is really that much better? Rutherford had a chance to be the number 1 pick in the draft if there weren't signing concerns.

Players with the contract and age like Yelich aren't available often. Not much difference in years from a prospect's 6 years and Yelich's 5 years, fits our timeline well. If we were acquiring Benintendi now would it be the wrong time and situation? He has the same years of control.

But I can understand wanting to let all the prospects pan out until we see our big league team start to take shape. I just think with this package of guys I suggested, that there are some question marks with them being a part of the future here. Rutherford is only expendable in this trade because Yelich is the MLB best case scenario for him. After that, Fulmer likely will just be a 7-8th inning guy and Avi has only 2 years control.

I don't want us to trade our prospects, but the mentioned players aren't making or breaking our rebuild. By getting young, proven, cost controllable players, like Yelich, that takes the risk away from banking on ALL of our prospects to pan out. Right now the only position player in the MLB that I'm confident will be a starter the next 6 years on the team is Moncada. Lot's of risk currently lying in our prospects panning out at a higher percent than league average.
Who makes or breaks our (the fans) rebuild? Moncada, Kopech?

I don't think so.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-23-2017, 09:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Who makes or breaks our (the fans) rebuild? Moncada, Kopech?

I don't think so.
Will be harder to have a successful rebuild without those 2 for sure. Obviously it will take many prospects to hit, that's my point. Take some of the risk away from relying mainly on a bunch of prospects all panning out.