White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 01:52 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post

2. I don't see how you can consider a guy who tore his ACL and MCL in his left knee in the 3rd game of the season last year and then was able to rehab and come back from those injuries in the same year and produce in the playoffs as being lazy or lacking a strong work ethic. That makes no sense to me.
I dont know what his work ethic is or exactly what it takes to DH 6 months after his injury. I do know know most people , no matter what they will admit, use the eye test to judge how hard one works.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I don't dislike Schwarber. He seems like a great guy. And I don't wish him ill. I know though the gushing Cubbie loving media makes my stomach sour. Then add on the Joe "I'm The Show" Maddon aspect and so yes I do find this whole Schwarber matter funny.
Y'know...I don't hold anything against the kid. However, his media hype was off the charts and because of that, I'm really enjoying his demotion because it shines a light on how foolish Cubs coverage can be. If you google the words "Kyle Schwarber Legend" you will get links to dozens upon dozens of articles calling him the next Babe Ruth and practically preparing his spot in Cooperstown. I mean, take a look at just a sampling here:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/...inues-to-grow/

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...s1wupe389l632h

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ull-mlb-season

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cu...kyle-schwarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
If they had their #2 and 3 starters available, I'm sure they would have pulled it off.
If they had a healthy Carrasco and Salazar it would have been over in 5 games. Not to mention, they were also without Michael Brantley. It took everything the Cubs had to take out the Tribe in extra innings of a Game 7 and the Indians were playing with their rotation injury depleted and pitching on short rest.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
1. He had over 600 plate appearances in the minors where he hit .333 and had an OPS of 1.042. He was regarded as having great plate discipline and a great eye (OBP of .429 in the minors). His being rushed can be debated, but I don't think he is a prime example of a player being rushed.

2. I don't see how you can consider a guy who tore his ACL and MCL in his left knee in the 3rd game of the season last year and then was able to rehab and come back from those injuries in the same year and produce in the playoffs as being lazy or lacking a strong work ethic. That makes no sense to me.

Schwarber never learned a position.. He is a clumsy outfielder at best, and despite catching in college, the Cubs didn't hone his skills behind the plate. The Giants brought up 2008 late first-round pick Conor Gillaspie beofre they brought up 2008 ear;u first-round pick Buster Posey, because he was learning to catch professionally after catching in college.

The fact that he was comfortable at the plate in the minors didn't mean he was ready for hte majors. Like many prospects who are doing well in the minors, he got off to a fast start, was hitting over .350 about 25 games into his debut season but ended with a batting average more than 100 points lower. I don't believe the fact that he suffered a regular-season injury bfore getting a hit in 2016 means he was set back. I was expecting him to hit around .200 last year because the league was figuring him out.

You see the same sort of thing going on with Gordon Beckham, a productive college player who went to the College World Series and felt very comfortable in teh minors where you go up against organizational players who aren't major-league caliber and payers on their way up and down in their careers. In mid-August, more than 60 games into his rookie season, I saw him in Oakland, hitting line drives with a batting average over .300, On the radio, the A's pre- and postgame analysts were talking about Beckham being the clear choice for Rookie of the Year (an award that actually ended up going to the A's closer), but over the next six weeks, Beckham's average dropped below .280, and he's still looking for his mojo.

I believed Beckham would never have learned to hit in the minors (as I wonder if Moncada will ever learn to hit in AAA where he is so comfortable). I don't believe he was rushed offensively, and his defense wasn't a problem.

Look at Schwarber's career after maybe 50 games, excluding the World Series where he only had a few at bats and didn't bring a glove, and you see someone who doesn't look like he belongs int he majors.

It could be that Schwarber is going to have to develop at the major league level, as many players do, although learning a position should be a priority in Iowa. He needs to change his approach to hitting at the major league level where the holes will be exploited on a regular basis. The danger in his development path is that he has to work to change, which he never has. An approach that looks dismal in Chicago might look great in Iowa, although I don't expect him to put up Cody Ashe numbers.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

The good news for Kyle is that in one day he goes from light hitting back-up outfielder to one of the Cubs Top Ten Minor League Prospects. Glass half full!!

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
268-230.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The good news for Kyle is that in one day he goes from light hitting back-up outfielder to one of the Cubs Top Ten Minor League Prospects. Glass half full!!
But does he really. From what I've read on the prospect page, to be considered for the top 30 list, you still need to have rookie status.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
But does he really. From what I've read on the prospect page, to be considered for the top 30 list, you still need to have rookie status.
He was being facetious.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-22-2017, 05:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
He was being facetious.

Thank you. Yes. I was being facetious.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Unpossible! I thought the off-season experts wanted a straight-up Quintana for Schwarber trade.
Who David Kaplan?

Cleveland ran out of gas pure and simple.

The Cubs won: good. Now they're just like every other baseball team.

Breaks my heart too.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
He was being facetious.
Quote:
Thank you. Yes. I was being facetious.
The real issue here is: What happens to his Cooperstown plaque? Does it get sent down, too?

‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Y'know...I don't hold anything against the kid. However, his media hype was off the charts and because of that, I'm really enjoying his demotion because it shines a light on how foolish Cubs coverage can be. If you google the words "Kyle Schwarber Legend" you will get links to dozens upon dozens of articles calling him the next Babe Ruth and practically preparing his spot in Cooperstown. I mean, take a look at just a sampling here:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/...inues-to-grow/

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...s1wupe389l632h

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ull-mlb-season

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cu...kyle-schwarber

If they had a healthy Carrasco and Salazar it would have been over in 5 games. Not to mention, they were also without Michael Brantley. It took everything the Cubs had to take out the Tribe in extra innings of a Game 7 and the Indians were playing with their rotation injury depleted and pitching on short rest.
One of those stories was by Bruce Levine. Wow. That was an unbiased article on his part.

Of course, the massive overhyping of Cubbies is nothing new. Back in the innocent days of the 1950s, Dick Drott and Moe Drabowsky were supposed to be the one-two pitching combo that would lead them to the promised land.

The most over-the-top one I can remember is Ryne Sandberg. After his two home run game against Bruce Sutter, the unbiased Chicago media was hyping him as the greatest second baseman of all-time and saying he was headed for the Hall of Fame. Now, of course, Sandberg went on to be one of the greats at the position. But greatest? Eh. I would debate that. And my point is that the hype was in the middle of his breakout season, after he had only two seasons behind him, and decidedly mediocre ones at that. So all the talk about him being "The Greatest 2nd baseman of ALL-TIME" during his first good season was a bit laughably overwrought, to say the least.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Unpossible! I thought the off-season experts wanted a straight-up Quintana for Schwarber trade. ...
Cubs fans, like many others, overvalue their own players and what they could get in trade.

Could you imagine Schwarber starting n left fo the Sox this year? Defensively, he makes Avisail Garcia look like a great outfielder. Offensively, he makes Garcia last year look like Garcia this year. And last year, there were more than a couple of posts that alleged Garcia was the worst right fielder in the majors.

I can't believe the Kyle Schwarber show has gone on as long as it has.

Maddon had him batting third in Wednesday's starting lineup.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Two years ago today I said this about Schwarber here at WSI and caught some grief:

Quote:
Sample size...As it is in this small sample size in MLB he's done very well. Not saying Schwarber will flop but bear in mind good or bad, it's still a very small sample size in MLB for him.
A quick look at Schwarbers stats. 2015 vs 2017 He's hitting about the same with HRs and Ks. He's just not hitting his way on base. Other than that, he's about the same striking out at the same rate.

2015 he cranked out some HRs but many folks glossed over any areas of concern. 2016 he did well in a 7 game series.

His 2017 struggles are a shock only to those who were under the influence of Cubbie propaganda

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 06-22-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 AM
WSI High Priest

I predict that in his first at bat following his recall, Schwarber launches a 475 home run and Cubland will immediately begin gushing over the genius of Theo and Joe for sending him down. He will then hit .180 the rest of the way and won't see regular playing time until the last week in September after the Cubs have been eliminated from the wildcard race. It will be awesome.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post

His 2017 struggles are a shock only to those who were under the influence of Cubbie propaganda
Agreed. I have nothing against the guy personally -- my guess is that he would have toned down the hype himself if he could have (who needs the pressure?) -
but this news made me laugh. The real fans understand, the delusional ones will remain delusional. The more things change, the more they stay the same.