GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
If Lucas ever learns to throw first pitch strike, he will turn the corner. Of the 24 batters he faced tonight, maybe three were down 0-1.
He still can't command any of his pitches, including his BP fastball. KC certainly helped him out a bit tonight. At this point you can't blame the weather. There's something wrong, and you hope it's just a little mechanical tweak that'll fix things. But the guy has been having these issues more often than not for a few years now...
Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 PM
WSI Guru

At least he reduced the walk total. His changeup was more useful than it has been, and the velocity touched 93 at times -- an improvement.

It wasn't a great outing, but it was a decent one, and it's the first time this season Giolito has had a start in which he can find some positives.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
At least he reduced the walk total. His changeup was more useful than it has been, and the velocity touched 93 at times -- an improvement.

It wasn't a great outing, but it was a decent one, and it's the first time this season Giolito has had a start in which he can find some positives.
Agreed, I also think there might be something to the argument that playing in the brutally cold conditions until last night could impact his ability to have a feel for any of his off-speed pitches, both figuratively and literally.

I will also say that one of the things that impressed me about Giolito last year and has at times impressed me this year is that he can at least survive without having much in terms of stuff, kind of like last night. I feel like a lot of young pitchers struggle to do that.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Agreed, I also think there might be something to the argument that playing in the brutally cold conditions until last night could impact his ability to have a feel for any of his off-speed pitches, both figuratively and literally.

I will also say that one of the things that impressed me about Giolito last year and has at times impressed me this year is that he can at least survive without having much in terms of stuff, kind of like last night. I feel like a lot of young pitchers struggle to do that.
Plus, he is right mentally. I think many pitchers could have folded with the amount of times he has had a rough start or a set back.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Plus, he is right mentally. I think many pitchers could have folded with the amount of times he has had a rough start or a set back.
I think that Coop picks and chooses pitchers who he thinks are overthrowing and also have really good stuff, and teaches them that they can get major league hitters out averaging 90 or 92 mph(depending on whether they are a RHP or LHP) then after they learn how to pitch, tell them that it is ok to ramp up the velocity again. Giolito is a really smart kid, you can tell that by his insight into himself and pitching. I think he's Coop's pet project because Coop might think he has immense potential if he learns how to pitch first, which Coop has the luxury to teach Giolito while the Sox are rebuilding. Giolito has shown both the ability to battle without his best stuff, and incredible mental toughness, so I think we all need to just be patient and near the 2019 ASB, we'll see Giolito take off.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

He seems a bit better today.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Hard to go from AZ to the downright crap conditions he started this season in. I expect a big bounce back with good weather.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:10 PM
WSI Guru

He was sailing along until that home run by the opposing pitcher. That seemed to rattle him.

Too bad, because the stuff was there today. Easily the best Giolito has had so far this season.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He was sailing along until that home run by the opposing pitcher. That seemed to rattle him.

Too bad, because the stuff was there today. Easily the best Giolito has had so far this season.
He was indeed solid today.

But I still feel he needs to be almost perfect out there to succeed. His fastball is lacking that power and cut IMO.

If he can work his way back to 94-95 he might be able to get a lot more room for error.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

But I still feel he needs to be almost perfect out there to succeed. His fastball is lacking that power and cut IMO.

If he can work his way back to 94-95 he might be able to get a lot more room for error.
He's a guy who has to be ahead of hitters. For the most part this season, he has been behind in counts, and that's led to negative results.

Today, he was ahead of hitters, and that allowed him to use all of his pitches and get guys chasing some of the secondary stuff out of the zone. But the key is to be ahead in counts.

After the Martinez home run, he started falling behind again, and he wasn't able to finish the outing off strong.

Yeah, another couple of mph on the fastball would really help. If you have 95 or 96 in your back pocket, maybe you can overcome more 2-0 and 2-1 counts. He doesn't have that right now, so he better throw strike one a high percentage of the time.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

I agree with this. If hitters aren't afraid of his fastball, it doesn't matter how good the offspeed stuff is because they'll never look for it. Wait until he throws a fastball and bombs away.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
He seems a bit better today.
Quote:

I consider today a step in the right direction for Giolito. It's his 2nd start in a row that was a decent outing.

He was indeed sailing along until that HR with 2 outs in the 6th. Until that point, I believe he held the Cards to 1 hit, no walks and registered 7 Ks. His only 2 walks in the game were the 2 guys immediately following Martinez's HR. So, it does appear that the HR rattled him. I'm not concerned about his mental makeup overall, though. He's still a work in progress having been called up in late August last year.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:13 PM
WSI Personality

I posted this in the 2018 game thread and thought it fits here as well:

Quote:
I don't think Giolito is going to amount to anything. He is not capable of being mentally strong through tough spots. He looks good when he is on, but the moment something takes him out of his groove he begins to lose it.
Don't forget, Jack McDowell was a late season call-up in 1987 and pitched the entire season in the rotation in 1988 before spending the entire 1989 season in the minors. We all know how good a pitcher that McDowell turned out to be. I'm not saying that Giolito is the 2nd coming of Jack McDowell, but to give him time to learn how to pitch.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
I posted this in the 2018 game thread and thought it fits here as well:

Don't forget, Jack McDowell was a late season call-up in 1987 and pitched the entire season in the rotation in 1988 before spending the entire 1989 season in the minors. We all know how good a pitcher that McDowell turned out to be. I'm not saying that Giolito is the 2nd coming of Jack McDowell, but to give him time to learn how to pitch.
Apparently, I was the only idior with a bad reaction to his blow up yesterday. Which sounds about right
Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Apparently, I was the only idior with a bad reaction to his blow up yesterday. Which sounds about right
I get the frustration, trust me, I do. I rather see the White Sox win, but i understand what they're trying to do. Some players take longer than others to figure things out. From what I've seen so far, Giolito still has a lot of work to do to constantly live up to the expectations of being a number one draft choice with top of the rotation potential.