Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Reynaldo is now sporting a -0.6 bWAR for the season after posting a 3.1 bWAR last season. His peripherals from last year show he didn't pitch as well as his traditional stats indicate and now this season it's coming home to roost. The guy keeps getting crushed the 3rd time through the lineup.

I'd say let him finish out the season as a starter then next year he can be in the bullpen as a long reliever. There's good value to be had there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think heís going to end up our closer of the future, just a gut feeling. Throws hard, would be a guy with a couple really good max effort pitches.
I'm not quite ready to close the book on Lopez as a starter yet, if only because I don't see a ready-made rotation replacement anywhere close yet. His strikeout numbers have improved and his walks, while not great, are not totally untenable, and are mostly consistent from last year. He's given up far, far too many home runs this year, a consequence of poor command and too many gopher balls, which Stone has pointed out on TV consistently. The top-shelf starter toolkit is still there, though, so I think it's worth giving it a little more time to see if he can do anything resembling his 2018 results again.

Considering that he'll presumably be slotting in next year behind Gio, Kopech, Cease, and probably an as-yet unnamed free agent, I'm willing to give him another shot at the back of the rotation next year to see if he can capitalize on his potential. If it's to the point a year from now where he's still putting up a 5+ ERA and actively torpedoing a potential playoff run, hopefully either Dunning or Rodon (or any number of guys around A+ or AA right now) will be ready to step in, or they can go out and make a trade by that point. Either way, I won't argue he's been baaaad so far, but I don't think there's any harm of giving him at least the rest of this season to see if he can make some improvements. If he does figure it out, the upside is tremendous.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:59 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
He's given up far, far too many home runs this year, a consequence of poor command and too many gopher balls, which Stone has pointed out on TV consistently. \

Considering that he'll presumably be slotting in next year behind Gio, Kopech, Cease, and probably an as-yet unnamed free agent, I'm willing to give him another shot at the back of the rotation next year to see if he can capitalize on his potential.
True = Giving up too many home runs is a consequence of too many gopher balls. Lol.

I don't understand why people think that Kopech and Cease are immediately going to be #2 and #3 quality starters next year. The whole "top prospect" = "a sure thing" is becoming silly. The fact is we only have ONE reliable starter right now and that is a guy that has been awesome, but only for three months of his career. I agree that we need to give all of these guys time, including Reynaldo, to figure it out and we must expect that most, if not all, will struggle at first. Not all will be successful and that is where Hahn needs to sign QUALITY veteran starter(s) to fill the holes.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Heís one of the top few-hundred baseball players in the world. No need to be rude.
Ok, then, he's a very bad Major League Baseball player.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-05-2019, 10:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump View Post
True = Giving up too many home runs is a consequence of too many gopher balls. Lol.

I don't understand why people think that Kopech and Cease are immediately going to be #2 and #3 quality starters next year. The whole "top prospect" = "a sure thing" is becoming silly.
It's even better when people put together hypothetical rosters for a year or two into the future and plug in every good prospect in the lineup.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Reynaldo is now sporting a -0.6 bWAR for the season after posting a 3.1 bWAR last season. His peripherals from last year show he didn't pitch as well as his traditional stats indicate and now this season it's coming home to roost. The guy keeps getting crushed the 3rd time through the lineup.

I'd say let him finish out the season as a starter then next year he can be in the bullpen as a long reliever. There's good value to be had there.
Great post. I agree. Nothing to be lost letting him start the whole second half. Then, re-evaluate in spring training.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Great post. I agree. Nothing to be lost letting him start the whole second half. Then, re-evaluate in spring training.
Yup, the Sox are still rebuilding, there's no reason to move him to the bullpen yet. He's got talent, maybe he'll end up with a Giolito-like turnaround, you never know. I expect the Sox to go into 2020 with a rotation of Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, and a FA. Lopez's "day of reckoning" might be whenever Rodon is back and ready to rejoin the rotation, assuming (knock on wood) that nobody else goes down in the meantime.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Better value as a high leverage reliever who can pitch multiple innings, which me may be able to do.
Still, moving him to the pen wouldn't mean that he's banished there permanently. It may be a good place to get his stuff back together. It wasn't that long ago that starters would ease their way into the rotation via the pen, although that doesn't seem to be in vogue these days.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I don't understand why people think that Kopech and Cease are immediately going to be #2 and #3 quality starters next year. The whole "top prospect" = "a sure thing" is becoming silly. The fact is we only have ONE reliable starter right now and that is a guy that has been awesome, but only for three months of his career. I agree that we need to give all of these guys time, including Reynaldo, to figure it out and we must expect that most, if not all, will struggle at first. Not all will be successful and that is where Hahn needs to sign QUALITY veteran starter(s) to fill the holes.
Snark greatly appreciated. Please read carefully/don't put words in my mouth. At no point did I say any of the bolded. They might not pitch like top of the rotation starters, but Cease and Kopech will most likely be the 2nd and 3rd starters in the rotation behind Giolito, not counting any free agents that will probably be signed. Lopez will be ranked behind all of those. Is anything that I said not true? Hell, our #2 starter right now is either Lopez or Nova. Does that mean I'm implying that either of them is as good as Gerrit Cole or Stephen Strasburg? Sheesh. Folks sure love an excuse to get worked up.

Last edited by mzh; 07-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Who said that?

I read posts saying that Kopech and Cease will be part of the rotation next year. Barring any unforeseen injury or implosion, this is very likely true. I didn't see where anyone said these guys were immediately going to be mid- to top of the rotation guys next year. Easier to make other posters look dumb when you put words in their mouths I suppose.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It's even better when people put together hypothetical rosters for a year or two into the future and plug in every good prospect in the lineup.
So Sox fans have the nerve to look at Robert and Madrigal tearing up in the minors and dream of them being in our starting lineup in a year or two? SO WHAT?

We're FANS, not the GM or the manager. Nothing wrong with talking about hypothetical lineups for next year on a fan forum.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Not all will be successful and that is where Hahn needs to sign QUALITY veteran starter(s) to fill the holes.
The only quality free agent starter is Gerrit Cole, which means his cost will be inflated.

This past winter was the last opportunity to get a big-time free agent.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The only quality free agent starter is Gerrit Cole, which means his cost will be inflated.

This past winter was the last opportunity to get a big-time free agent.
I think you have a different definition of quality then. Odorizzi, Hamels and Bumgarner are good pitchers.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I think you have a different definition of quality then. Odorizzi, Hamels and Bumgarner are good pitchers.
Youíre right. Our definitions differ. I donít want to pay big money to any of those guys. Hamels will be 36. Bumgarner and Odorizzi have been thoroughly underwhelming in the years immediately preceding this year.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Youíre right. Our definitions differ. I donít want to pay big money to any of those guys. Hamels will be 36. Bumgarner and Odorizzi have been thoroughly underwhelming in the years immediately preceding this year.
I didn't say I wanted all or any of them. But they are quality pitchers. Quality pitchers are more than just the top 10 elite guys.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
We're FANS, not the GM or the manager.
This is lost on a lot of fans.
Closed Thread