White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,772
Default Latest Off-Season FA Rumors ...

Thought this would be a good place to put things:

Yankees reportedly "lukewarm" on Machado after antics:

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sour...hado/299924774

Yankees don't think Harper is a good fit:

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sour...rper/299926808

Latest on the other big free agents:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-2019-m...?tid=282421090

Goldschmidt news:

https://www.mlb.com/news/paul-goldsc...?tid=282421090
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 594
Default

The Yankees don't need Harper and I'm willing to bet the market has softened for Machado after all of his antics this postseason- during a contract year of all things.

Besides, Boras claims there's already a deal in place for Harper and it was done before the World Series was over, but the only way that's possible is if Harper already agreed to stay with the Nationals. I highly doubt it and think Boras is messing around.

But if I had to guess on where Harper ends up:

1. Nationals
2. Phillies
3. Yankees
4. Cubs
5. White Sox

He's a hero in Washington and he knows it. The Phillies are an up and coming team and he'd be a nice center piece. The Yankees could still make a splash (as usual) and find room for him. The Cubs could easily afford him even with those other bad contracts on the books (seriously- they're printing money) and the media would love it if he went there.

That leaves the White Sox as a longer shot for him but as I've been saying, the risk would be worth it. He would sell lots and lots of tickets/jerseys and would be a boon if the rebuild works. His marketability is off the charts especially for the youngest fans. So many little leaguers wear the eye black with the same style as Harper.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,918
Default

Roumours?
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,316
Default

Ricketts does not want to spend into the stratosphere. That means, if he's to be believed, shedding current contract dollars is the way they'll go. Cubs baseball is getting expensive and the Cubs would have to pass those additional costs on to the consumer.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2018, 09:55 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Roumours?
Fleetwood Mac was wondering as well....
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,194
Default

Gut Feeling -

Cubs sign both Harper and Machado, trade one of Darvish or Heyward, trade Russell
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Gut Feeling -

Cubs sign both Harper and Machado, trade one of Darvish or Heyward, trade Russell
The only way the Cubs trade Darvish or Heyward is if they take on even worse contracts. And honestly, I'm not even sure there ARE worse contracts.

The Cubs are stuck with them until their release. If the Cubs are to sign Machado or Harper, they're either hitting the luxury tax hard, or they're trading away useful pieces with money attached (Quintana, Rizzo, et al.).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Roumours?
You are welcome to change the spelling mistake. Feel free, I can't.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The only way the Cubs trade Darvish or Heyward is if they take on even worse contracts. And honestly, I'm not even sure there ARE worse contracts.

The Cubs are stuck with them until their release. If the Cubs are to sign Machado or Harper, they're either hitting the luxury tax hard, or they're trading away useful pieces with money attached (Quintana, Rizzo, et al.).
I could see a team who can't land a star in FA trading for them with some money eaten. I mean even take the Sox, with so much free payroll, if they could pick up Darvish for 60 cents on the dollar without giving anything up, would you be SHOCKED if they did it? Not saying they would, but it would be Shields all over again (without hopefully giving up the winning lottery ticket this time). There are a handful of teams in similar boats.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Cubs baseball is getting expensive and the Cubs would have to pass those additional costs on to the consumer.

I thought the Cubs Channel on cable was going to provide between 1-2 gazillion dollars to the franchise.

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 56,039
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You are welcome to change the spelling mistake. Feel free, I can't.
Done.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:44 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 6,769
Default

Yeah I have a hard time seeing the Cubs making major FA moves this offseason due to how big their payroll already is. I'd love to see the White Sox take on a "bad contract" via trade, that would be a very good use of their payroll flexibility assuming the contract only has another 2-3 years on it.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I thought the Cubs Channel on cable was going to provide between 1-2 gazillion dollars to the franchise.
Until the details are announced I wouldn't necessarily put that in teal. It won't be a "gazillon" but in all probability it will be a ****load.

The only thing stopping the Cubs from signing a Harper or Machado or both is the reluctance of ownership to have to pay the luxury tax.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,239
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I could see a team who can't land a star in FA trading for them with some money eaten. I mean even take the Sox, with so much free payroll, if they could pick up Darvish for 60 cents on the dollar without giving anything up, would you be SHOCKED if they did it? Not saying they would, but it would be Shields all over again (without hopefully giving up the winning lottery ticket this time). There are a handful of teams in similar boats.

I've elsewhere advocated a "punt on 2019" plan, but I also could be convinced that the Sox could use their payroll flexibility to trade for players like Darvish or Shin-Soo Choo, take on the payroll and thus give up very little in return, and then at midseason flip them players, plus cash, to contenders for better prospects. Of course, I can't see JR agreeing to part with the amount of cash it would take to buy young talent this way.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-30-2018, 01:45 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 6,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I've elsewhere advocated a "punt on 2019" plan, but I also could be convinced that the Sox could use their payroll flexibility to trade for players like Darvish or Shin-Soo Choo, take on the payroll and thus give up very little in return, and then at midseason flip them players, plus cash, to contenders for better prospects. Of course, I can't see JR agreeing to part with the amount of cash it would take to buy young talent this way.
To me that's still a punt. Obviously we're not signing those players because they are going to help us contend in 2019. They're there to be traded if they perform well.

JR agreed to Soria, so who knows.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.