White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 PM
WSI Guru

Default Latest Off-Season FA Rumors ...

Thought this would be a good place to put things:

Yankees reportedly "lukewarm" on Machado after antics:

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sour...hado/299924774

Yankees don't think Harper is a good fit:

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sour...rper/299926808

Latest on the other big free agents:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-2019-m...?tid=282421090

Goldschmidt news:

https://www.mlb.com/news/paul-goldsc...?tid=282421090
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM
WSI Personality

The Yankees don't need Harper and I'm willing to bet the market has softened for Machado after all of his antics this postseason- during a contract year of all things.

Besides, Boras claims there's already a deal in place for Harper and it was done before the World Series was over, but the only way that's possible is if Harper already agreed to stay with the Nationals. I highly doubt it and think Boras is messing around.

But if I had to guess on where Harper ends up:

1. Nationals
2. Phillies
3. Yankees
4. Cubs
5. White Sox

He's a hero in Washington and he knows it. The Phillies are an up and coming team and he'd be a nice center piece. The Yankees could still make a splash (as usual) and find room for him. The Cubs could easily afford him even with those other bad contracts on the books (seriously- they're printing money) and the media would love it if he went there.

That leaves the White Sox as a longer shot for him but as I've been saying, the risk would be worth it. He would sell lots and lots of tickets/jerseys and would be a boon if the rebuild works. His marketability is off the charts especially for the youngest fans. So many little leaguers wear the eye black with the same style as Harper.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 AM
Official Professor

Roumours?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Ricketts does not want to spend into the stratosphere. That means, if he's to be believed, shedding current contract dollars is the way they'll go. Cubs baseball is getting expensive and the Cubs would have to pass those additional costs on to the consumer.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Roumours?
Fleetwood Mac was wondering as well....

Old 10-30-2018, 10:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Gut Feeling -

Cubs sign both Harper and Machado, trade one of Darvish or Heyward, trade Russell
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Gut Feeling -

Cubs sign both Harper and Machado, trade one of Darvish or Heyward, trade Russell
The only way the Cubs trade Darvish or Heyward is if they take on even worse contracts. And honestly, I'm not even sure there ARE worse contracts.

The Cubs are stuck with them until their release. If the Cubs are to sign Machado or Harper, they're either hitting the luxury tax hard, or they're trading away useful pieces with money attached (Quintana, Rizzo, et al.).
Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Roumours?
You are welcome to change the spelling mistake. Feel free, I can't.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The only way the Cubs trade Darvish or Heyward is if they take on even worse contracts. And honestly, I'm not even sure there ARE worse contracts.

The Cubs are stuck with them until their release. If the Cubs are to sign Machado or Harper, they're either hitting the luxury tax hard, or they're trading away useful pieces with money attached (Quintana, Rizzo, et al.).
I could see a team who can't land a star in FA trading for them with some money eaten. I mean even take the Sox, with so much free payroll, if they could pick up Darvish for 60 cents on the dollar without giving anything up, would you be SHOCKED if they did it? Not saying they would, but it would be Shields all over again (without hopefully giving up the winning lottery ticket this time). There are a handful of teams in similar boats.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Cubs baseball is getting expensive and the Cubs would have to pass those additional costs on to the consumer.

I thought the Cubs Channel on cable was going to provide between 1-2 gazillion dollars to the franchise.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You are welcome to change the spelling mistake. Feel free, I can't.
Done.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-30-2018, 12:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Yeah I have a hard time seeing the Cubs making major FA moves this offseason due to how big their payroll already is. I'd love to see the White Sox take on a "bad contract" via trade, that would be a very good use of their payroll flexibility assuming the contract only has another 2-3 years on it.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I thought the Cubs Channel on cable was going to provide between 1-2 gazillion dollars to the franchise.
Until the details are announced I wouldn't necessarily put that in teal. It won't be a "gazillon" but in all probability it will be a ****load.

The only thing stopping the Cubs from signing a Harper or Machado or both is the reluctance of ownership to have to pay the luxury tax.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I could see a team who can't land a star in FA trading for them with some money eaten. I mean even take the Sox, with so much free payroll, if they could pick up Darvish for 60 cents on the dollar without giving anything up, would you be SHOCKED if they did it? Not saying they would, but it would be Shields all over again (without hopefully giving up the winning lottery ticket this time). There are a handful of teams in similar boats.

I've elsewhere advocated a "punt on 2019" plan, but I also could be convinced that the Sox could use their payroll flexibility to trade for players like Darvish or Shin-Soo Choo, take on the payroll and thus give up very little in return, and then at midseason flip them players, plus cash, to contenders for better prospects. Of course, I can't see JR agreeing to part with the amount of cash it would take to buy young talent this way.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I've elsewhere advocated a "punt on 2019" plan, but I also could be convinced that the Sox could use their payroll flexibility to trade for players like Darvish or Shin-Soo Choo, take on the payroll and thus give up very little in return, and then at midseason flip them players, plus cash, to contenders for better prospects. Of course, I can't see JR agreeing to part with the amount of cash it would take to buy young talent this way.
To me that's still a punt. Obviously we're not signing those players because they are going to help us contend in 2019. They're there to be traded if they perform well.

JR agreed to Soria, so who knows.