Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2018, 07:12 PM
WSI Prelate

There are 2 elite free agents this year: Harper and Machado.
Sign one of them or none at all. Stop the Williams/Hahn dog and pony show
Old 10-01-2018, 08:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Sox won't be signing either one. It'll be some starting pitching help and two or three better relief guys.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
The Sox could have all the money in the world, but why would an impact free agent willingly sign with any team coming off a 100 loss season?
Money.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-01-2018, 08:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I keep hearing we're a dark horse for Bryce Harper. I doubt we get him but the idea is intriguing. He's only 25 with a ton of upside and has a crazy amount of marketability, so he'd put butts in the seats and would make the team a lot of money just by being on the field. Fangraphs likes him a bit more than Baseball Reference, which brings his WAR down due to his defense. I don't think that's completely his fault since he's not really a centerfielder (I'd stick him in right or left).

But when he's on, he can carry a team, and other than Trout there's not many players who are better than him when he's playing great.

He'd be a great centerpiece for a rebuild.
There are two dozen+ players (pitchers included) I would rather have, all things being equal. Harper is a very good offensive player whose defense and baserunning are only going to crash his value more and more as the years go by. At 20M per, he's worth it. At the 35-40M he'll get? Please get him the **** away. He's no Arenado, Trout, Lindor, Betts, Yelich, etc. These are among the guys who would actually deserve a 10/350 deal or whatever Harper goes for.

Prospect hype and one outlier MVP-caliber season have really propped this dude up more than he deserves.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:33 PM
WSI Personality

I think the Sox will be somewhat competitive for Machado, but he will likely use the Sox as leverage when he signs with the Phillies.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Sox won't be signing either one. It'll be some starting pitching help and two or three better relief guys.
This isn't the year for that. SP sucks. I wouldn't want anything to do with the top tier SP. If you're ok dumpster diving, I'm ok with that but anything more is crap.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Give me AJ Pollock or Patrick Corbin. Both could have their markets depressed by the generational superstars taking all the money from contenders (and sketchy injury history). Corbin is young enough that he’ll still be in his prime when they’re (hopefully) contending. Pollock is older and has health issues, but that could drive his price into the Sox range, 5-tool center fielders don’t hit the market every year, and most importantly, it significantly increases their margin of error for the outfielders in the system.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Obviously, if Harper or Machado are willing to sign long-term contracts with the Sox, they should ink them.

But the Sox also have payroll flexibility right now, and frankly I think the Sox would be failing to use their advantage if they don't sign some free agents to 1-2 year deals with the intent of flipping them at the deadline to a contender. They should be reaching out to the .270 role players saying "do you want to play in the postseason? Sign with us."' Or, similarly, they could exploit their payroll flexibility to accept other people's unwanted high paid players via salary dump trades, similar to Soria last year.

But yes any free agent signing should be either "superstar who will be signed through the window of contention" or "guy we're gonna flip and who's not gonna block anyone". Nothing inbetween.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-02-2018, 10:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
But yes any free agent signing should be either "superstar who will be signed through the window of contention" or "guy we're gonna flip and who's not gonna block anyone". Nothing inbetween.
Exactly - a superstar who signs for 5+ years is OK; so is a flip guy who signs for 1-2. But anything in the middle makes *zero* sense.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:55 PM
WSI High Priest

I think the big “flip” signings will be renewing Avi and Abreu in their last seasons of arbitration.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Exactly - a superstar who signs for 5+ years is OK; so is a flip guy who signs for 1-2. But anything in the middle makes *zero* sense.
Question: What would it cost us in terms of a draft pick if we a) signed an elite free agent or b) signed a flip candidate? Does Machado's status as a mid-season trade to the Dodgers affect this at all?

And before people freak out for me asking, this is merely a question. I'm not suggesting that we forego elite FAs to preserve a pick. And I'm not interested in hearing for the upteenth time that KW and RH are morons who would **** up the draft pick anyway. That horse has been beaten to death.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox are going to have to make a choice soon. They have 3 Shortstops and 3 nd basemen and one 3rd baseman. Madrigal Anderson Yolmer, who plays Short. Madrigal Moncada Yolmer at 2nd. Davidson should of been getting the most reps IMO at 3rd. I'd also keep Yolmer over Anderson at SS. Give me up the middle Defense over a bat and crap defense anytime.

I think the right option until Burger is healed and able to show the Sox what he can do should be playing 3rd is Moncada, who isn't a stranger to the position. Madrigal is coming, maybe not next year but real soon. He is a hitting machine and a solid fielder.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
My so called stab(s) in the dark: Just some ideas.that's all.

Marwin Gonzalez

Chad Allen (or Andrew Miller.Allen may be more realistic).

Gio Gonzalez (reunited for the THIRD time!!)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Question: What would it cost us in terms of a draft pick if we a) signed an elite free agent or b) signed a flip candidate? Does Machado's status as a mid-season trade to the Dodgers affect this at all?

And before people freak out for me asking, this is merely a question. I'm not suggesting that we forego elite FAs to preserve a pick. And I'm not interested in hearing for the upteenth time that KW and RH are morons who would **** up the draft pick anyway. That horse has been beaten to death.
The cost in terms of draft pick/international pool money is determined by luxury tax spending and teams receiving revenue sharing money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBTrade Rumors;
link

For teams that signs a qualified free agent…

- A team that received revenue sharing the previous season will forfeit its third-highest selection upon. Signing a second qualified would result in the loss of that team’s fourth-highest selection. Signing a third would result in the loss of its fifth-highest selection.
- A team that did not receive revenue sharing and also did not pay any luxury tax penalties would lose its second-highest selection as well as $500K of the league’s allotted international bonus pool. Signing additional qualified free agents would result in forfeiting the third-highest selection and another $500K of international allotments.
- A team that paid luxury tax penalties must forfeit both its second- and fifth-highest selections in the 2019 draft and forfeit $1MM of international funds. Signing a second would result in the loss of that team’s third- and sixth-highest picks, plus another $1MM in international funds.

For teams who lose qualified free agents…

- A draft pick after Competitive Balance Round B will be awarded if the team losing the free agent did not receive revenue sharing or if the free agent in question signed a contract worth less than $50MM in guaranteed money.
- A draft pick after Round 1 will be awarded if the team losing the free agent received revenue sharing and the free agent in question signed for more than $50MM.
- A draft pick after Round 4 will be awarded if the team losing the free agent paid luxury tax penalties in the preceding season.
To be eligible to receive a QO, a player needs to meet the following conditions:
- been on the same team for the entire 2018 season, mid season trades/signings are not eligible
- cannot have already received a QO previously in their career

Hopefully the above answers your questions
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
The cost in terms of draft pick/international pool money is determined by luxury tax spending and teams receiving revenue sharing money.

To be eligible to receive a QO, a player needs to meet the following conditions:
- been on the same team for the entire 2018 season, mid season trades/signings are not eligible
- cannot have already received a QO previously in their career

Hopefully the above answers your questions
Thanks.

So, it sounds like whichever team signs Machado will not have to forfeit a pick because he's not eligible for a QO (due to not being on the same team the entire season)? Am I understanding that right?