GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
If Palka continues to improve next year, I could see him being part of the team in 2020 and beyond. If enough of the OF prospects progress as hoped, maybe he platoons with Eloy at the DH spot? Against RHP, Eloy would be in LF and Palka at DH; against LHP, Eloy would move to the DH spot, with Palka serving as a power option off the bench. Given the long-term concerns about Eloy's defense, it would be a good way to maximize everyone's strengths.
There is no universe where Palka should take at-bats away from Eloy.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
There is no universe where Palka should take at-bats away from Eloy.
Eloy would be playing every day. Eloy would play LF against RHP and DH against LHP. Palka moves to the bench on days that Eloy is the DH. That is how I read it.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 AM
WSI Regular

Palka = Kyle Schwarber Alot of similar offensive numbers and defense looks about the same.
I want Palka no where near the outfield. DH is it.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 AM
WSI Personality

Palka is a 2 true outcome hitter right now. He either gets a 2B/HR or makes an out.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis11 View Post
Palka = Kyle Schwarber Alot of similar offensive numbers and defense looks about the same.
Schwarber’s eye alone makes him a far better hitter.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If Palka continues to improve next year, I could see him being part of the team in 2020 and beyond. If enough of the OF prospects progress as hoped, maybe he platoons with Eloy at the DH spot? Against RHP, Eloy would be in LF and Palka at DH; against LHP, Eloy would move to the DH spot, with Palka serving as a power option off the bench. Given the long-term concerns about Eloy's defense, it would be a good way to maximize everyone's strengths.
This is a decent option if the Sox have a good RH OF who hits LHP well and is better defensively than Eloy. Maybe that’s Micker Adolfo? (This assumes Robert or the switch-hitting Basabe is in CF, and RF is claimed by one of the LH-hitting group of Rutherford, Walker, or Gonzalez.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I agree with this- I also think there's a chance Palka takes it up to another level in 2019- getting a full season in MLB under your belt is a big deal- Davidson took his OPS up 60 points this season (mostly by drawing more walks) over 2017- if Palka can show similar improvement in his 2nd full season, his OPS will be in the .850 range, pretty solid for a LH DH/back up corner OF. I also think he's improved defensively and has a plus arm to go with it, I think he can be adequate in a corner OF spot as a 4th/5th OF.

There are no LH power bats coming up through the system, he's a much better option than Delmonico or L Garcia or wasting money on the FA market.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
This is a decent option if the Sox have a good RH OF who hits LHP well and is better defensively than Eloy. Maybe that’s Micker Adolfo? (This assumes Robert or the switch-hitting Basabe is in CF, and RF is claimed by one of the LH-hitting group of Rutherford, Walker, or Gonzalez.
Adolfo’s cannon for an arm is better suited for RF than LF, but that may not be the case after Tommy John surgery.

Ideally, either Basabe or Gonzalez develops into an everyday CF, pushing Robert to a corner. As a bonus, if either Adolfo or Rutherford develops into an everyday corner OF, Eloy slides to DH.

Something like Robert-Basabe-Adolfo left-to-right, with Eloy at DH and playing occasional LF in NL parks, would be pretty awesome. Especially if you end up with Moncada-Anderson-Madrigal left-to-right in the infield. Then the only missing pieces are 1B and C, with the hope that either Collins or Zavala takes that job (or maybe even both, if Collins ends up at 1B).
Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Palka with another blast, this time against the Flubs. This guy has to stay at least as a DH as the rebuild moves forward.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-21-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis11 View Post
Schwarber walks more, Ks less, is younger, and has a history of ML success (regular and postseason) that Palka doesn't. Pretty big gulf between the two.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Schwarber walks more, Ks less, is younger, and has a history of ML success (regular and postseason) that Palka doesn't. Pretty big gulf between the two.
That may be the case, but (kindly pardon the hijack) right now I’d rather have Lopez (3.94 ERA) than Quintana (4.11 ERA). 😜
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
WSI Regular

Palka should be the full-time DH and Davidson should be in the bullpen unless one of our power hitters gets injured in which case he could substitute.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
Palka should be the full-time DH and Davidson should be in the bullpen unless one of our power hitters gets injured in which case he could substitute.
He looked sad K'ing against that nondescript lefty his last AB. Unless that changes...
But his HR's get out superfast because of that level swing.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

It makes me lol how so many "experts" project a player's entire career in The Show based on less than two full season's work at The Show.

Not just talking about Palka, but many others on the Sox roster this year and part of last year....

Old 09-22-2018, 07:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Another vital piece of information that needs to be remembered in this Schwarber-Palka comparison:

The Cubs usually try to hide Schwarber’s flaws by hitting him 6th, which likely would be 7th if they played in the AL. So far, they have hit him 8th in both games of this series.

We usually have Palka hitting cleanup. That is far from ideal.