GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The thing is, Palka is a one tool player right now. That tool is loud, but a .790 OPS DH isnít going to cut it. He has to improve his hit tool and patience if he wants to make it.
...and since 2019 is more or less shot to hell already, he should have the whole year to try to improve.

You figure Eloy will be up sometime around mid-April and penciled into LF. I'm actually okay with Palka getting 1B reps to see if he can make it work, with Abreu becoming a DH on those days.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: Hopefully around the beginning of May
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:03 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

I’m not sure if Palka can improve his OBP but he deserves a chance to DH next season. He may never be good overall hitter but I would love to see what kind of show he could put on in a home run derby.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
...and since 2019 is more or less shot to hell already, he should have the whole year to try to improve.

You figure Eloy will be up sometime around mid-April and penciled into LF. I'm actually okay with Palka getting 1B reps to see if he can make it work, with Abreu becoming a DH on those days.
I totally agree with this. Iím just not buying him as a long term solution. If we were a good team we would be flipping out over him only hitting for power
Old 09-20-2018, 12:37 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
As it stands right now, Palkaís OBP is too low to merit an everyday position, and the fact that he is a defensive liability does not help his case.
Palka's OBP is .295. That is not much lower than Delmonico (.299) who is his direct competition for a left-handed platoon DH. One of them has to go and Palka is slugging .500 versus Delmonico's .382.

Palka's OBP is higher than Anderson (.285), Castillo (.285), and Engel (.277) who also have the problem of not being on base enough to merit an everyday position, but are your up-the-middle defenders until better ones come along.

Palka's OBP is much higher than the execrable Avi Garcia (.272). Garcia and Davidson are little more than right-handed platoon DHs. They are slugging .446 and .443 respectively, but Davidson gets on base at a .330 clip and adds some defensive flexibility that Garcia doesn't.

So yes, I would keep Palka and platoon him with Davidson next year. I would cut Avi loose, option Delmonico, and bring up Eloy to play left. Right field will be up for grabs.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
Palka's OBP is .295. That is not much lower than Delmonico (.299) who is his direct competition for a left-handed platoon DH. One of them has to go and Palka is slugging .500 versus Delmonico's .382.

Palka's OBP is higher than Anderson (.285), Castillo (.285), and Engel (.277) who also have the problem of not being on base enough to merit an everyday position, but are your up-the-middle defenders until better ones come along.

Palka's OBP is much higher than the execrable Avi Garcia (.272). Garcia and Davidson are little more than right-handed platoon DHs. They are slugging .446 and .443 respectively, but Davidson gets on base at a .330 clip and adds some defensive flexibility that Garcia doesn't.

So yes, I would keep Palka and platoon him with Davidson next year. I would cut Avi loose, option Delmonico, and bring up Eloy to play left. Right field will be up for grabs.
I was not trying to say that our other players are better than Palka and deserve everyday spots over him. He has one elite facet to his game, where most of those other guys have none. However, we still need to be mindful of his flaws in other areas, along with the fact that his one marketable skill disappears against LHP.

Iím right there with you on keeping Palka over guys like Delmonico or Leury.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Of course, there is no reason Palka can't work to improve his defensive skills.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I’m right there with you on keeping Palka over guys like Delmonico or Leury.
I definitely agree with this. Palka may have value here if platooned and he, along with a competent RHP vs. LHPs, can make a two-headed monster at DH. Seasons like this help you find a guy like that. Delmonico and Leury look like dime a dozen players.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I definitely agree with this. Palka may have value here if platooned and he, along with a competent RHP vs. LHPs, can make a two-headed monster at DH. Seasons like this help you find a guy like that. Delmonico and Leury look like dime a dozen players.

Add me to the chorus.

I think Delmonico may have the LF job until Eloy gets promoted, but then it's back to Charlotte where he's decent depth.

Leury has shown me that when he's healthy he can hit a little bit, but he's not often healthy. I'm more interested in seeing Rondon as the backup infielder next year, and maybe even split time with Yolmer at third.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Agree except Leury gives you much needed versatility coming off a three man bench.

277-241.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Garcia provides a lot of versatility and is at the very least a competent bat, but he just can't stay healthy.

Palka and Davidson would make for an interest platoon at DH next year, and spelling guys in the field every now and then, but beyond 2019 I have no idea what their role is with the organization. Palka potentially could be a left handed bat off the bench.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

The only Sox position player that has exceeded expectations this year. And probably this years Sox MVP.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187
Garcia provides a lot of versatility and is at the very least a competent bat, but he just can't stay healthy.
I think his bat is overrated by many on this board because of his good, yet unsustainable, first half of 2017. His .804 OPS during that stretch was buttressed by an unsustainable .336 BABIP. Once his BABIP normalized, here is what he has done since:

Second half of 2017 OPS: .640
April 2018: .673
May: .679
June: .704
July: .749 (buttressed by a whopping .400 BABIP)
August: .679

That is not exactly "competent."

Leury's skill set is fine for an NL player who is frequently pinch-hitting for the pitcher and sliding over to whatever position you want him to play. However, for an AL team like us, his defense is not good enough to be a regular defensive substitution, and I don't really want to pinch-hit him for any regulars on this team, unless maybe it's for Yolmer Sanchez against LHP. The "Swiss Army knife" factor is not that useful when he doesn't excel at anything.

If I had my preference, I'm keeping Engel and Jose Rondon over Leury.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:51 PM
WSI Regular

To me, Palka is a stop-gap player who is pretty one dimensional in that he hits the ball hard when he does make contact. Otherwise, he's basically a replacement level player who is slighter better than Leury Garcia or Nicky Delmonico. Like Davidson, I assume they'll keep him around until they find something better, then jettison him off for whatever they can get.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree with the people who say that Dan Palka could still be a guy off the bench on a good team. He's better suited for this role than Delmonico or L. Garcia. Is he better suited for this role than some cheap FA the Sox could pick up in a year or two? We'll see, but he's likely cheaper.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM
WSI Personality

If Palka continues to improve next year, I could see him being part of the team in 2020 and beyond. If enough of the OF prospects progress as hoped, maybe he platoons with Eloy at the DH spot? Against RHP, Eloy would be in LF and Palka at DH; against LHP, Eloy would move to the DH spot, with Palka serving as a power option off the bench. Given the long-term concerns about Eloy's defense, it would be a good way to maximize everyone's strengths.