White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
But they get into the system, and they don't progress like they should. Its wayyy to early for last years class to judge, but it does seem to be a theme.
The thing is, the Sox are so far behind in terms of drafting advanced/skilled hitters it's hard to judge. Let's face it, when you look at Sox drafts over the past 10 years, there are very few bats taken in the high rounds. The second round has almost been exclusively pitchers for almost 15 years and the third, fourth and fifth rounds are pretty close (until recently).

You cannot reasonably expect to develop a system full of hitters from the sixth round on to become All Star or even solid everyday players. No team does that, there are no miracle workers out there.

The Sox philosophy of drafting pitchers, pitchers and more pitchers was not sustainable nor wise. Somebody has to catch and hit the ball.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-22-2017, 04:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The thing is, the Sox are so far behind in terms of drafting advanced/skilled hitters it's hard to judge. Let's face it, when you look at Sox drafts over the past 10 years, there are very few bats taken in the high rounds. The second round has almost been exclusively pitchers for almost 15 years and the third, fourth and fifth rounds are pretty close (until recently).

You cannot reasonably expect to develop a system full of hitters from the sixth round on to become All Star or even solid everyday players. No team does that, there are no miracle workers out there.

The Sox philosophy of drafting pitchers, pitchers and more pitchers was not sustainable nor wise. Somebody has to catch and hit the ball.
Its a great point. KW was just a mess when it came to drafting.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Its a great point. KW was just a mess when it came to drafting.
Do you think it was him or the advisors/scouts? I try not to blame KW for our horrendous drafting, only because I blame him for just about everything else.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Among a bevy of roster moves, Alec Hansen and Jameson Fisher promoted to W-S from Kanny.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Among a bevy of roster moves, Alec Hansen and Jameson Fisher promoted to W-S from Kanny.
Hansen was obvious. Too talented for Kanny.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post

It is sustainable if you develop the pitchers you're drafting, trade some of your pitching prospects to teams that made the mistake of not drafting pitchers, which are the most important element in winning championships, and sign international free agents who can hit. The Braves, for example, have only taken one position player with their first pick since 2011. This year they had two picks in the first round and took two high school pitchers.

Pitching is more important than hitting and you need more of it to win.

If your focus is on college players rather than high school players, pitchers have are less risky because at a higher level of competition aluminum bats add more power and are more forgiving away from the sweet spot.

The day of the Carlos Rodon draft, the Cubs took Schwarber with the next pick, and I certainly had no problem with the White Sox taking Rodon. In the Chris Sale draft, there were a lot of position players taken before him that I wouldn't have taken. Had the Sox been picking first, they would have taken Harper, but I wouldn't have picked Manny Machado or Yasmani Grandal over Sale. And, as we all know, the player picked after Sale, was Dylan Covey because the Brewers were focused on pitching.

Teams other than the Whtie Sox are so focused on pitching, that the year before the Nationals drafted Harper, they had the No. 1 and No. 10 picks. Stephen Strasburg was consensus No. 1, of course. But having drafted a pitcher who everyone thought was destined to be the great pitcher of the generation, with the No. 10 pitck, this last-place team took pitcher Drew Storen at 10. I have seen no evidence that they considered risking their second pick on the eventual No. 25 pick, Mike Trout.

But drafts are better conducted five to 10 years later.

I like this year's first pick. I like that he strikes out much less than most college power hitters, although I'll have a better gaugue on whether he's a good pick five years from now.

The problem with the White Sox farm system is they haven't done a great job at developing pitchers as much as they've had a lot of pitchers to develop. And they haven't traded surplus pitching for offensive talent. They got the international thing right with Abreu, and I hope Robert falls into the same category instead of the Viciedo category.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Worth noting, Franklin Reyes, 18 year old top international signing from a couple years ago, 6' 4", 205, right handed OF, who had a terrible year last year at Arizona in his first action... .171/.189/.251 ... was moved up to Great Falls anyhow and in his first three games is hitting .400/.438/..600.

Obviously it is just three games but as with Adolfo this year it is nice to see that he can actually hit a little white ball occasionally. He was the #27 international prospect in 2015. He supposedly has major raw power.

Found a review on him. Reads like the MLB review but found it at
http://dplbaseball.com/franklin-reye...ago-white-sox/

Quote:
Franklin Reyes

Hometown: San Cristobal, Dominican Republic Position: OF Age: 16 DOB: 9/11/1998 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6’3″ Weight: 235 lb.

Scouting grades:Hit: 30 | Power: 70 | Run: 30 | Arm: 60 | Field: 40

Scouts love Reyes for the player he is now and the player they hope he can be in the future.

The younger brother of Franmil Reyes, who plays in the minors for San Diego, Franklin has shown raw power and a plus arm in showcases and games. He profiles as a right fielder and has the big tools that teams like to see in young players.

Franklin participated in the Under Armour All-America game and was selected to the DPL Elite travel team in 2014 .

Like all prospects his age, Reyes is still developing as a hitter, but he continues to makes strides on that front. He’s also shown the ability to hit in games.

The White Sox and Reyes agree to a $1.5MM contract.

Last edited by Andrew C White; 06-22-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM
WSI Prelate

I think Collins may need to go down to Kannapolis. He is hitless in his last four, and his average has gone down to .215.

Guerrero, on the other hand, continue to improve his stock.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It is sustainable if you develop the pitchers you're drafting, trade some of your pitching prospects to teams that made the mistake of not drafting pitchers, which are the most important element in winning championships, and sign international free agents who can hit.
That is not really a sustainable strategy. Pitchers get injured at a alarming rate from Rookie ball up to the Majors. The team drafting heavy on pitchers is more likely to lose out because they don't have enough pitching to trade and supply the major leagues. You really don't see teams trading high end prospects for high end prospects all that much either. International free agents are more risky than the Rule 4 draft as well.

Quote:
Pitching is more important than hitting and you need more of it to win.
Kinda, but you can't really be sub-par in any aspect of the game if you want to win championships. I've seen statistical studies that show pitching is only slightly more important than defense and hitting.

Quote:
If your focus is on college players rather than high school players, pitchers have are less risky because at a higher level of competition aluminum bats add more power and are more forgiving away from the sweet spot.
Possibly, but I don't think this has ever been proven. Don't forget that there are summer showcases that potential draftees participate in that use wooden bats.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Starters for 6/23

Charlotte: Carlos Rodon (0- 2, 6.75)
Birmingham: Michael Kopech (4- 4, 3.41)
Winston-Salem: Dane Dunning (3- 2, 3.29)
Kannapolis: Bernardo Flores (7- 4, 3.13)
Great Falls: Kyle Von Ruden (0- 0, 0.00)
DSL: TBD
Old 06-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Micker Adolfo hit his 9th HR tonight. Really starting to tap into that power to go with a .290 AVG and 20+ 2B.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Micker Adolfo hit his 9th HR tonight. Really starting to tap into that power to go with a .290 AVG and 20+ 2B.
And not even half way through the season. He is starting to look very promising.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
And not even half way through the season. He is starting to look very promising.
Is he still in low A ball?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 06-24-2017, 10:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Is he still in low A ball?
Yes, and given that they moved up Fisher but not Adolfo a few days ago I suspect he stays there all year... unless they decide to give him a taste of high-A at the very end of the season to acclimate him for next year. Given his youth and lack of experience I think this is a good idea. Take your time with him and let him get a full season of success under his belt before presenting him with his next challenge. After that, if he continues to succeed, then you move him up the system at whatever pace his development dictates.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Yes, and given that they moved up Fisher but not Adolfo a few days ago I suspect he stays there all year... unless they decide to give him a taste of high-A at the very end of the season to acclimate him for next year. Given his youth and lack of experience I think this is a good idea. Take your time with him and let him get a full season of success under his belt before presenting him with his next challenge. After that, if he continues to succeed, then you move him up the system at whatever pace his development dictates.
Yeah, he's only 20 years old and won't be 21 until mid September. His K rate is still very high (33%), I don't see any reason to rush him up to W/S.
Closed Thread