White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Birmingham's lineup is devoid of talent.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:51 PM

Luis Robert debuted and launched a big ol' homer. Sox Twitter has video of it.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:30 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Birmingham's lineup is devoid of talent.
Yeah, there are two pitchers there (Kopech and Adams) who might one day help the Sox. The lineup? Yuck.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I was reading today that the Sox farm system has the second-fewest wins in MLB, ahead of only the Giants.

Charlotte, Birmingham and Winston-Salem are a combined 8-24 in June. Yuck.

Hopefully, this draft brings in some talent.
I have a dumb question for those who know a lot about our farm system (so don't flame me for simply asking):

I keep hearing about how the Sox farm system has dramatically improved and I could have sworn I read that it's now ranked in at least the upper half of MLB farm systems thanks to the infusion of talent from last year's trades and recent good draft picks......and yet, Charlotte, Birmingham, and W-S all suck? What am I missing?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I have a dumb question for those who know a lot about our farm system (so don't flame me for simply asking):

I keep hearing about how the Sox farm system has dramatically improved and I could have sworn I read that it's now ranked in at least the upper half of MLB farm systems thanks to the infusion of talent from last year's trades and recent good draft picks......and yet, Charlotte, Birmingham, and W-S all suck? What am I missing?
It seems like we have a good and growing number of top prospects, but not a ton of depth. Kind of like the "stars and scrubs" model for the big league team, where while we had stars like Sale, Quintana, Abreu, and Eaton, we still couldn't win. It will probably take a couple more drafts to build the depth.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Also, don't confuse W/L for Top Systems. In theory, the best AAA teams are not top prospects, but guys who just can't hack at it at the big league level (often called an AAAA player). No org. is going to have enough depth to have systems that fill all their teams with future stars. Look at how Asche is destroying AAA. He is a good example of an AAAA player. But it doesn't mean his ceiling is higher than that of say, Zack Collins.

Of every level, the Sox have more guys in their top 10 and 20 prospects with big league futures than most teams. Some of these guys are going to struggle as they work to get better (Basabe for example)...
Old 06-13-2017, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Starters for 6/13

Charlotte: James Shields (0- 2, 3.00)
Birmingham: Jordan Guerrero (1- 7, 4.39)
Winston-Salem: Tanner Banks (5- 3, 3.64)
Kannapolis: Bernardo Flores (6- 4, 3.14)
DSL: TBD

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

A lot of the position players are struggling. A lot of the guys who were drafted last year got off to good starts in the organization, but it hasn't gone well this season.

All these questions about Zack Collins' defense ... he's made strides behind the plate. It's his bat that sucks. He's striking out like crazy and not hitting his weight at W-S. How much of it is lack of help in the lineup? Not sure.

Call has been hurt all season. Fisher is in a slump at Kanny, too. Basabe, acquired in the Sale trade, has struggled at W-S.

Obviously, the Sox need to build organizational depth with position players, but I wish I felt better about the hitting prospects who are already in the organization.

As someone mentioned, there's nothing going offensively at Birmingham. You can find legit pitching prospects on the Barons' roster, but the hitting is nonexistent there.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Right, you don't judge a minor league system by won-loss records. The point of the minors is to develop players that can contribute at the major league level. That means both the stars and the inevitable fill-in type players a team needs to get through a season.

Charlotte has one guy in the line-up that might be a major league star and that is Moncada. They have a few other position players that might develop major league careers but most likely as bench players, guys like Delmonico, Engel, May, Hayes, Willy Garcia (who is currently a bench player in Chicago).

The pitching staff has potential major league starters and relievers in Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, and Burdi. They also have some guys that might fill-in with occasional success like Holmberg is currently doing.

Charlotte's record is surprisingly weak but they were doing much better before Moncada got hurt.

Birmingham is pathetically weak. Trey Michalczewski just came back up from Winston-Salem where he found his bat. Remains to be seen if he can keep hitting at AA. He is the only prospect in the lineup and the shine is off his star at the moment. The rest of the position players don't belong at AA.

Birmingham has a couple decent pitchers but only 2 that are real prospects in Kopech and Adams. Jordan Stephens is considered a prospect but he was on the disabled list and has only pitched 2 games so far this year. Overall Birmingham is embarrassingly bad.

Winston-Salem has some position players prospects... Collins, Basabe, Cruz, Call (who is injured)... but all are under-performing at the moment. Dane Dunning is the only real pitching prospect though a couple other guys are borderline. They have not been as good as I thought they would be but there really isn't enough there unless the prospects really perform.

Kannapolis has some prospects and is playing well. Some of their guys will probably move up to Winston-Salem next month. Others will flame out there next year. But this is A ball where they are still trying to figure out which end of the bat to hold and it really is all about development. The best thing going on there is Micker Adolfo figuring out how to hit baseballs. Joel Booker, Mitch Roman, Zach Remillard, and Jamison Fisher are all position player prospects playing fairly well there but it is entirely possible that not one of them will make it to the majors.

Pitching wise you have a couple guys worth watching at Kannapolis but that's about it. Alec Hansen has the chance to be a star if he can keep it up. Bernardo Flores is also worth paying attention to. Most of the other guys won't be around in another year or two.

Each of these players is busy trying to learn the game. Yeah, they are trying to win too but the coaches are having them concentrate on particular aspects of their games and not winning championships so that if they do make it to the majors they will know what to do and how to do it so that championships can be won.

But yeah, Birmingham is cringe worthy.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Birmingham's rotation is actually rather interesting. We know about Kopech. But Stephens and Guerrero and intriguing pieces. Guerrero's K:BB is very strong and he's been great from May forward. He also may have been hurt by his defense behind him as there's a bit of a gap between his FIP and ERA. Stephens is coming off an injury, but offers nice depth. Matt Cooper has always had high strikeout totals, but it remains to be seen if he can continue his success as a starter in the higher levels. He has tailed off recently.

It's the lineup that is barren.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Birmingham's rotation is actually rather interesting. We know about Kopech. But Stephens and Guerrero and intriguing pieces. Guerrero's K:BB is very strong and he's been great from May forward. He also may have been hurt by his defense behind him as there's a bit of a gap between his FIP and ERA. Stephens is coming off an injury, but offers nice depth. Matt Cooper has always had high strikeout totals, but it remains to be seen if he can continue his success as a starter in the higher levels.
No love for Spencer Adams?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I knew I was forgetting somebody!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Birmingham's rotation is actually rather interesting. We know about Kopech. But Stephens and Guerrero and intriguing pieces. Guerrero's K:BB is very strong and he's been great from May forward. He also may have been hurt by his defense behind him as there's a bit of a gap between his FIP and ERA. Stephens is coming off an injury, but offers nice depth. Matt Cooper has always had high strikeout totals, but it remains to be seen if he can continue his success as a starter in the higher levels. He has tailed off recently.

It's the lineup that is barren.
Can someone give me a scouting report on Guerrero? He is a bit old for being in Birmingham, so is there some concern there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Really high on him, and have been for a while. He is a "pitch to contact" though, so his control better be great.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Also, while I dislike his .228 BA, Zack Collins has an incredible OBP so I think there is a chance he improved his BA over time. He obviously has a good eye for it.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Starters for 6/14

Charlotte: Reynaldo Lopez (5- 3, 3.82)
Birmingham: Spencer Adams (4- 6, 3.46)
Winston-Salem: Zach Thompson (1- 6, 5.71)
Kannapolis: Jimmy Lambert (6- 2, 2.39)
Kannapolis (2): Kelvis Valerio (0- 0, 0.00)
DSL: TBD
Closed Thread