White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
His managerial prowess is highly overrated. Yes, he had a charmed postseason in 2005. And he was responsible for the collapse in 2006 and the team's rapid descent into irrelevancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Ozzie Guillen really wasn't a good manager.

It was easy in 2005 when every member of the bullpen had a career year.

In 2006, Ozzie squarely cost us a return to the playoffs. His dumbass decision to push his starters hard in the first half, and take them to the ASG and not rest them after huge workloads in 2005 is why they burned out in the 2nd half.

Even with his title, Ozzie Guillen's career winning percentage is that of a manager who wins about 82-84 games a year. Not really impressive.

Further, no one wants a manager who thinks the name on the back of the jersey means more than the one on the front. Ozzie will always be Ozzie, and that is why no one will even give him an interview. He simply isn't worth the headache.
Let's not forget Ozzie's blunder in 2008: he could have started then rookie Clayton Richard in Game 1 of the ALDS against Tampa Bay. It would have been a gutsy move, sure, but actually a pretty obvious one.

Tampa struggled mightily against lefties that year. They hit righties much better. The Sox certainly should have started Richard, John Danks and Mark Buerhle in that series. For me, the fourth starter would have been Gavin Floyd but if he wanted to use Javier Vazquez, then fine.

I appreciate Ozzie's efforts to win the World Series in 2005 but not starting Richard against the Rays in the playoffs -- and in favor of the struggling Vazquez, no less --was a lulu of a bad decision.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Let's not forget Ozzie's blunder in 2008: he could have started then rookie Clayton Richard in Game 1 of the ALDS against Tampa Bay. It would have been a gutsy move, sure, but actually a pretty obvious one.

Tampa struggled mightily against lefties that year. They hit righties much better. The Sox certainly should have started Richard, John Danks and Mark Buerhle in that series. For me, the fourth starter would have been Gavin Floyd but if he wanted to use Javier Vazquez, then fine.

I appreciate Ozzie's efforts to win the World Series in 2005 but not starting Richard against the Rays in the playoffs -- and in favor of the struggling Vazquez, no less --was a lulu of a bad decision.
Is this the same Clayton Richard with an ERA of over five who usually couldn't make it out of the fifth inning?

With respect there's no way in hell, that stiff should have started game #1 of a playoff series.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Is this the same Clayton Richard with an ERA of over five who usually couldn't make it out of the fifth inning?

With respect there's no way in hell, that stiff should have started game #1 of a playoff series.

Just my opinion.
It either would have worked brilliantly, or failed spectacularly. As it was, Vazquez got torched anyway and the Sox were in a hole with Danks unavailable until game 3 and Buehrle only available for games 2 and 5.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

This stuff about Ozzie being a bad manager is garbage. Ozzie was an excellent manager that turned around a talented but under performing team and won a World Series. (I can remember thinking Konerko was done for after his disastrous 2003 season.)

But, Ozzie burns hot and he ticked off Kenny and Kenny won the battle. Still don't know why Kenny is running the White Sox with his puppet GM Hahn, but Kenny is still there. As for Miami, that year was all Jeffrey Loria, just ask Mark Buehrle who was hood winked into signing with Miami only to get traded the next year to Toronto a team he would have never signed with as a free agent.

I would hire Ozzie if my team wasn't entering a 10th year in a row of "rebuilding". Look at Dusty Baker and Buck Shoewalter, excellent managers that somehow burnout in the playoffs every year.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
This stuff about Ozzie being a bad manager is garbage. Ozzie was an excellent manager that turned around a talented but under performing team and won a World Series. (I can remember thinking Konerko was done for after his disastrous 2003 season.)
He certainly was an excellent manger...was being the operative word. Then he started to believe his press clippings, started crying about what he was getting paid and the length of his contract and then quit on the team.

Those are facts that can't be disputed.